Bike Polo in Chengdu!

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionBike Polo in Chengdu!

• This topic has 43 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Avatar photoPeggy.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Dear Chengdu Forum Patrons,

I formally invite you to attend hardcourt bicycle polo. Currently we play every Sunday, rain or shine, starting at 4 p.m. at the open concrete court north of the Sichuan Gymnasium (四川省体育馆).

We require you bring a bicycle. Any bicycle works, but brakes are recommended. Helmets, although not necessary are always a plus when on a bicycle. All other equipment (mallets, balls, goals, etc.) is provided.

The r00lz are simple and can be explained on location. Fear not, it’s not as dangerous as it may sound, but I will warn that the learning curve may seem steep to start. Don’t let it discourage you!

If you’re not inclined to play, we usually loiter around and drink beer. Afterwards we tend to find somewhere to eat and share merry tales. Hope to see you there.

Warmly,

Jacob.

p.s. You can e-mail me, or ask questions here.

p.p.s. POLO!

Absolutely there next week but can’t make it tomorrow I’m afraid, as have just got here and need to buy a bike first! Will be down to check out the shop next week anyhow, so will catch you then – looking forward to some serious polo action.

Participant

I’ll be there today for some Polo! I’ve attended two times in the past month and have had a great time. Anybody with a bicycle should come out and play!

Keymaster

I came and hung out at this a few weeks ago and it looked like a lot of fun. I’ll come join next Sunday for sure.

Participant

Good turnout yesterday. Thanks to those who made it out.

As I said it’s every week so swing by if you’re interested. If you want to try but don’t have a bike, we’ve got a spare at the shop for borrow.

See you next time.

Participant

Seriously? This is a real thing?

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Seriously? This is a real thing?

Yeah!

Here’s Justin demonstrating proper form, with a mallet in one hand and a beer in the other, all while atop a fixed gear bicycle:

BikePolo-Justin.jpg

BikePolo.jpg

notice his busted finger too. true trooper

Keymaster
    Quote:
    notice his busted finger too. true trooper

Closeup of that fine technique:

BikePolo-Justin2.jpg

Participant

Ha ha, popsicle stick to the rescue!

Participant

There were indeed a lot of people / bikes, good fun!

zgavR.jpg

Participant

Hmm, dunno about the bike polo, but might be up for the loitering around and drinking beer part!

Participant

Are Unicycles allowed? I think I would RULE this game if I could use my unicycle. In fact, Unicycle Polo….hmmmm…

Participant

I suppose there is no reason why not. Have you played polo on a unicycle before? There is mild contact allowed, some mallet to mallet play, and a few other aspects of the game may be a slight disadvantage for the unicyclist when playing with two-wheeled friends. In any event, you are more than welcome to join us, riding circles around us, and show us how its done.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Are Unicycles allowed? I think I would RULE this game if I could use my unicycle. In fact, Unicycle Polo….hmmmm…

Definitely come out. There are always a lot of people hanging out there anyway. A unicycle would be a hit for sure.

Participant

ha~ looks nice.

Everybody have a nice bike 🙂

Participant

Just reminding everyone interested about polo tomorrow afternoon @ 5pm. See the first post for details.

If your curious about bicycle polo and want to give it a try, or just want to hang out an watch people on bicycles (and perhaps unicycle) swing mallets at a ball then come out and join us. Dinner likely to follow.

Participant

I’m out of town for the holiday. Will join next week again.

Keymaster

I’m at the Natooke shop now on their wi-fi. The shop has come a long way in the last 2 weeks, anyone interested in bikes should drop by and check it out.

Participant

It’s that time of week again. It’s a shame the weather isn’t like it was yesterday but I have a feeling at least this dryness will hold out.

Haven’t been by the stadium but I have a hunch the pup tent mall will be gone. If not you’ll still find us lurking around behind the stadium.

Looking forward to seeing some new faces!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 44 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.