Dubai Restaurant?

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionDubai Restaurant?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I’ve heard through the grapevine there is a new middle eastern restaurant of sorts on Kehua Zhonglu, opened by a guy from Dubai? Are there any reviews out there? I’m always lookin for new options in the ‘du

Keymaster

Any more info on this? I haven’t heard of this place but I’m interested.

Participant

It’s called Safari (迪拜餐吧). Here is the address: 成都科华中路7号金英汇3栋301. I’d be interested in checking it out, middle eastern food is my go to cuisine any time I take a trip to Hong Kong.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    middle eastern food is my go to cuisine any time I take a trip to Hong Kong.

That’s interesting – what kind of food? Cantonese tea houses are my go-to in Hong Kong but Indian food there is also incredible.

Participant

ICaramba! for me, need some good mex and margaritas. 😀

Participant

From my Frenchy friend, he said the owners are from Dubai but originally Lebenon. He said its worth checking out. They speak French, Middle East language (not sure which that is, Arabic :P) and i believe English.

Participant
    Quote:
    what kind of food?

Last year when I lived closer to HK, we’d always check out this Egyptian spot since we’d always be craving something different than Chinese food. Cold Mezze platter and pita bread is the jam.

Participant

I went the other night. They don’t have a full menu yet but you pay 68 rmb and they bring you a set meal with a little bit of everything. I think there were 4/5 main dishes, a soup each, and 2 dips with pita bread.

Participant

Just hit this place. Pretty impressed.

THE GOOD: layout is nice. Cool garden. good food. Service was A+

THE BAD: Chengdu street numbering system. Just go past B&O and look for the sign. Portions a little small. Limited menu for now

THE UGLY: drink prices kinda high

Participant

Went there last night. Had an OK exp. Heres the run down:

Walked in, good layout. Sat down, but there was no ‘set menu.’ So they just sent us food, 2x of everything. Ok…. And there was not any lamb, boo!

Then the belly dancer.. Not sure if its customary for them to blast the motherf’n music loud. I gave the waitress two options… Tell the ‘DJ’ to turn off the music for this room or ill go to the speakers and rip it off the wall. The waitress laughed;

Me: You have two choices, turn off the music or ill rip the wires off.

Her: Haha

Me: Oww you think this is a joke? *walking to the speaker*

Her: Ok ill ask….

Then the music stopped for the room i am in….

I am not normally cranky, but it was Saturday night and just came back from teaching/kicking students asses and to noting it was my first meal of the day.. So yea, i was full on ‘snapping mode.’

A few times i had to get my own water and pour it for my friend and i. Service can be bad, but the wait staffs are Chinese, so i cant expect the best of the best (Pug out ranks them, sorry).

Overall, it was a good exp. I went in there very famished, but walked out as a glutton. Minus the negative first stanza, i can say it will be worth going again.

Still though.. I am wondering if i DID rip the wires off the wall.. What would have happened.. hmmm….

Participant

Jerry – dude – the music is for you or for anyone in the place? You can’t expect every place you go to to tailor to your needs mate. If they play music loud, you can suggest they change that style of restaurant – but maybe other patrons want that.. yah? I don’t know the layout nor have I been, just saying.

Participant

@ RIck, fuck no. I expect the music TO NOT BE AS FUCKEN LOUD IN A FUCKEN EATARY REsturANT! Get my point?

Participant

I get your point in regards to expectation. My point is:

1) It’s saturday night. Their drinks are “high” priced, according to observation. Maybe it’s intented as a bar/restaurant, not an eloquent bistro.

2) Did they crank the music after you arrived, or was it loud beforehand? If it was loud beforehand, I’ve no sympathy for you.

3) Were there other patrons exposed to the same music/music levels as you? If that’s the intended atmosphere, that’s how it is – not really your place to tell them how to run their business…it’d be a case where you just don’t go back, because it’s not your type of place – not to tell them to change it or you’ll rip shit off walls because it’s not what you’re into on your first random saturday night visit.

Get my point? 😀

Participant

If you are ‘trying’ to change my views of that place that has already been placed, it wont happen. No set menu, shitty service (to the point i walked up and got my own water) and had to ask repeaditly to turn down the music makes for a bad exp. There should be no logistics, its a restaurant. They serve. And in this case, the Dubai place, they were bad at it with me and my friend. And yet their only redeeming grace is the food.

Participant

Wasn’t trying to change your mind, I’ve no opinion of the place.. I’ll probably check it out Saturday though, sound like a party! 🙂

Keymaster

I went to this place last night and had a great time. The outside area is really nice (as Ray said) and the food was good as well. I haven’t been to the middle east so I can’t say how authentic the food is, but it tasted great and there was a lot of it. About 7 dishes in total if I remember correctly, and reasonably inexpensive draft beer as well.

Evidently they don’t have a menu yet, so everything is a set meal for 68rmb. The place is huge and there were a lot of people there last night around 8pm.

It was a little hard to find but keep going south on Kehua Beilu and when you pass Hangkong Lu, the restaurant is on the right side and you can see a sign that says 迪拜餐吧 on the third floor.

Participant

Decided to try this place after all the reviews and being a foodie am always up for something different in China.

Set menu was okay, small portions, a few drinks weren’t available. Not a good idea having chipped crockery although I do know the plates etc are delicate but still presentation should be at least decent.

My table had to wait 15 minutes to get someone to get the bill despite a lot of staff being present. Food isn’t really Middle Eastern but a nice try as it is more for the Chinese pallet with the types of oils and spices.

The restaurant itself very nice décor not over the top, small touches of the middle East , comfortable well place furniture and the music was at least Middle Eastern and the belly dancer was entertaining.

Overall 5 out of 10 for a new restaurant hopefully some points will be refined over the future. I would recommend people give it a try once and I think maybe I will go back in a few months time after the teething problems.

Diamond

Participant

Thx for all the varied feedback, I went a few nights ago and 6 of us ate to our hearts’ content. Food was unusual in terms of comparison to middle eastern fare I’ve eaten before, but overall good. I thought the decor was alright, bits of room for improvement exist all around, but I’d go back, especially if they start up a menu.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.