Ideal Place for a Weekend Getaway

HomeForumsClassifiedsMarketplaceIdeal Place for a Weekend Getaway

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I am Ivan, French; If you are looking for a weekend get away with family or friends, I highly recommend Dujiangyan 都江堰, it is 50 mins away by driving from Chengdu and it has mountains to hike, river flows the city, beautiful bridges and old street to walk around, countless tea houses and restaurants to hang out…the UNESCO site is a turn down for me (over charged and crowded)…and a great place to stay, it has all you need to have a relax holiday, quietness and fresher air…it is my holiday home, check out: http://www.rivertownstay.weebly.com

Keymaster

Very interesting that you’ve build an expat-friendly spot in Dujiangyan – sounds like a great place to visit. If I’m not mistaken, Dujiangyan is accessible by bullet train also, which I think takes around 30 minutes.

Participant

Yes, there is a new rail link to Dujianyan which goes on to Qingshengshan. The station is on the outskirts of the town but it is still quite convenient. I have been going to Dujiangyan regularly for the past few years so I finally decided to have a comfy place to land. Happy to share it! Are you a cyclist?

Participant

Are there actual hiking trails around Dujiangyan (a la Longxi-Hongkou National Natural Reserve where all the wild pandas live:)? Trails that are not cemented over and include endless stairs to the clouds–these are the type that I seek? Anyone reading this and that knows of legitimate hiking/trail running options w/good public transport (aka Fast Train (D-train))/express bus, etc near Chengdu–I will buy you a bowl of noodles over lunch for such precious info…I’d like to get off concrete once in a while. As of now, LongQuan Shan via bicycle is my go to for trail running but it’s 75 min. ride there and the same back, which makes for a long day…

Keymaster

Happy to share it! Are you a cyclist?

Indeed I am. I know a lot of people have cycled up to Dujiangyan before but I never have. Seems like it’d be a nice place to cycle around though.

Participant

Yeah I know the problem. Not easy to find nice and accessible trails and when they’re known, concrete gets poured over and crowds flows in. There should some good trails around Dujiangyan or Qingshengshan but I have never looked for them. Will ask around and post a message if I find anything interesting.

Participant

Hmm gotta visit it for sure. Hope it has many places for me to play mahjong with many locals who don’t mind sharing their money 🙂

Participant

For sure there is! When the wheather gets warmer plenty of tea houses cum mahjong parlors are set up along the river or in the country side. Just avoid the ones near the Nanqiao bridge, which are mostly for tourists. Locals will be happy to play with you but the firm intention of teaching you a lesson of course so be ready!

Participant

Just wanted to say that my family and I spent last weekend at Rivertownstay and we really enjoyed it.  We had been to Dujiangyan years ago, but this time we did not bother with the ‘jingdian’ (tourist spots) and followed some of Kevin’s recommendations.  Too bad we could not find any bicycle rental shop. The apartment is really nice and very homey … The arts&craft box did a good job at keeping our two kids occupied. Thank you for the bread and milk in the fridge!

Participant

AR, Thank you for staying, you are right, no bicycle rental shop in Dujiangyan…3 years ago the city decided to promote cycling with public bicycle free for rental. It seemed to work for a while but now they are all gone. Too bad. Could be a good business idea…

Participant

Ivan, I am looking for a place to go for Qingming holiday, is your place available for the weekend of Apr 5th? We are family of 3.

Participant

Desole,the Qingming weekend already rent out…you can see the updated rental calendar at: http://rivertownstay.weebly.com/reserve3904435746.html

Participant

Hi, the place is available for Qingming weekend now…people who reserved it before have to fly to UK suddenly…email me quickly.

http://www.rivertownstay.weebly.com

Participant

We have added two bicycles in the place for rental…Dujiangyan is ideal to bike around! Check out: http://rivertownstay.weebly.com/the-place23567203032903129255.html

Participant

Hi everyone, many people have asked for May 1st holiday rental, it has rent out from Apr 30 – May 3rd. Other weekends of in Apr & May are still available.

Participant

Stayed here over the labour day holiday and I can’t recommend it highly enough. The apartment is really well fitted out with everything you need and done to a really high standard. Many hours were spent putting the world to rights at the breakfast bar. As for dujiangyan there is a really good mix of things to do. There are really good areas for food and shopping as well as being on the doorstop of some really beautiful mountains.

Keymaster

Stayed here over the labour day holiday and I can’t recommend it highly enough.

What is getting to this place like? I assume you take the bullet train to Dujiangyan and then a taxi?

Participant

It was really easy. I personally rode all the way from Chengdu as I wanted my bike while I was out there but my girlfriend took the train and then a taxi.  There were two bikes there and they would come in really handy if you did not have your own otherwise it is a 20-30 min walk into town.

Participant

Graham, thank you for your comments to my flat, please come again!

Participant

I personally rode all the way from Chengdu

How was the ride, Graham?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 40 total)
  • The forum ‘Marketplace’ is closed to new topics and replies.