Learning Martial Arts in Chengdu

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionLearning Martial Arts in Chengdu

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Participant

So I have this FEELING that people here are interested in Martial Arts.

I used to do Taekwondo in Canada. And… laugh all you want. I already know it’s the westernized, fake shit. So I was wondering if there was any place anyone here could recommend on learning some real stuff?

The novelty of a “new life” in Chengdu is slowly wearing off, and I am finding myself extremely bored these days…

Keymaster

The easiest thing to study is Kung Fu, and it’s not hard to do that. You should find master Li Quan, we’ve written posts about him a few times and he’s a friend. He’s a professional kung fu trainer, wing chun (nan quan).

There’s also JerryS doing Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in Chengdu, I think he’s teaching. He’s a brown belt and comes from a Gracie school so he’s a legit teacher. He’s on the forum a lot, pretty sure you’ve seen him.

So Kung Fu and BJJ will be your main options!

Participant

Both sounds great. Honestly though, it would depend on whoever has a schedule that’s more accommodating. xD

Participant

There’s also the Mugen Ryu Martial Arts Academy which teaches karate, kendo, and jujitsu. I wish I had time to learn kendo (Japanese sword).

Contact info is:

Shaocheng Mansions, 3rd Fl., 98 Changshun Zhong Jie, Chengdu

成都长顺中街98号少城府邸3楼

Phone: (028) 13018236007

Participant

I head the bjj program here in Chengdu (via the bjj club). Use to be Jamie, but he went back home. There is a ‘black belt’ who teaches here also, but don’t bother with him. He (chinese ‘black belt’) just wears it to teach his students. He never wears it if one of my students goes to his school.

Currently on Thurs (7-9PM) at the Karate studio, the bjj class is held by a really good blue belt. Once the time is switched to Wends night, then ill once again teach it at the Karate place (work conflicts with training). We also meet on Sunds at 24 hour fitness (11 AM-1 PM). The fee for each class is about 30 RMB per person.

There is talk that i might also head the bjj program at another school, more details on that when things transpire.

But yea.. Come train!

Participant

*_* im being pulled in my kendo… i have an unhealthy obsession for anything reminiscent of anime.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    There is talk that i might also head the bjj program at another school, more details on that when things transpire.

But yea.. Come train!

Awesome, I might join that when I get back. I’ve been meeting black belts all over the place the last few weeks – Marcelo Garcia, Phil Migliarese, etc. Ran into Bernardo Faria in Ralph’s tonight. The Pan Am’s start tomorrow and Nemo is competing (blue belt super heavy weight) in the afternoon!

Participant

HOLY CRAP CHARLIE!! I would DIE if i met those dudes! Garcia is in NYC, if i didnt come to chengdu, i would def be training with him. Bernardo Faria is a beast, f’in monster. Nemo is up there in skills as well, i expect him to dominate, he has the body type to destroy dudes!

The Kendo guy is the only few in China. He is the highest rank in Sichuan area. He is cool as hell, and always someone to hang out with. If you want to learn Kendo, he is the guy! Summer is coming, better sign up with him fast or lose your spot in his class. He tells me its soo packed he has to reject some students!!

Keymaster
    Quote:
    HOLY CRAP CHARLIE!! I would DIE if i met those dudes! Garcia is in NYC, if i didnt come to chengdu, i would def be training with him. Bernardo Faria is a beast, f’in monster. Nemo is up there in skills as well, i expect him to dominate, he has the body type to destroy dudes!

Everyone has been incredibly nice. I was at Marcelo’s gym in Manhattan just watching and he approached me and introduced himself. Really nice guy. The same deal with Phil, he took us to a local restaurant in Philly and we just rapped about jiu jitsu over hamburgers. I interviewed both of them on camera about their jiu jitsu careers, also.

Bernardo looks like an absolute beast, I saw some youtube clips after running into him. Him and his crew (two other people competing this weekend) were walking around the grocery store looking like hit men. Nemo pointed him out.

Keymaster

Oh, also there’s this:

Marcelo-Charlie.jpg

Participant

Jealous! I teach my students his stuff, its most effective for all body types. He is considered a God in the jiu jitsu world.

Participant

where is the karate studio?

Participant

Shaocheng Mansions, 3rd Fl., 98 Changshun Zhong Jie, Chengdu

成都长顺中街98号少城府邸3楼

Phone: (028) 13018236007

Karate/Kendo studio. Call ahead to find classes.

Keymaster

Hey Jerry, did you ever get any training sessions together in Chengdu? Is that weekly BJJ meetup still happening?

Participant

Still happening. I teach at 25 hour fitness on Sunday at 11-1PM and a blue belt teaches on Thurs at the Kendo studio from 7-9PM. Trying to switch the days from Thurs to Wends so i am able to make it, right now thurs are hard for me to trek into the city.

25 Hours Fitness Club

25小时健身俱乐部成都青羊店

Guangda Guoji Mansion 4th Fl., 2 Caoshi Jie, Chengdu

成都草市街二号成都光大国际大厦四层

Phone: (028) 86919118/86916118

Participant

woah, i just got to read this thread and its really getting me interested!

you guys are awesome

Participant

My buddy is ‘desperately’ looking for a gym to train: San Da/Muai Thai, preferably full contact, either a location or partners. He just had someone translate some Chinese advert to post at the sports uni, but I think the main issue is a place that has a gym dedicated to this kinda training not just 1.5 hours a day or a couple days a week. He has been actively training daily for the last few years, and has previously trained with several San Da schools including the Sichuan team at sports uni — but that’s funded by CN gov’t and not so easy for a white boy to train with.

Any information helpful – please sent a PM if anyone is interested or knows a place and I’ll pass along contact info.

Participant

love taichi only. lol

Keymaster
    Quote:
    My buddy is ‘desperately’ looking for a gym to train: San Da/Muai Thai, preferably full contact, either a location or partners.

It seems like Chengdu is not a good place to train muay thai but if you find anything, post info here! I’m interested also.

Participant

On Wends we will start doing basic MMA (starting tonight). If your friend would like to come teach, he is more than welcome to. BJJ/MMA class is now canceled on Thurs, but moved to Wends at the Kendo studio (7-9). Since everyone that trains are professionals out side of martial arts, going light is essential.

Come train, the weather is perfect, best to lose 5-6 lbs of water weight!!!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 30 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.