Looking for a Skilled Carpenter

HomeForumsIn ChengduLooking for a Skilled Carpenter

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

I’m looking for a skilled/competent Carpenter to custom build a large wall braced working desk in my apartment. It’s a simple construction, but I’m hoping to find a Chippy with full tool set to work to instruction and build to a good finish. Preferably I’d like to find someone who can source and transport materials, but the most important thing is finish quality.

Any suggestions appreciated. Feel free to PM me also.

Keymaster

You can find people to build whatever you want in Chengdu, there are a string of shops that sell wood and building materials although I can’t remember exactly where. If you ask around you can find it. I was going to build a custom DJ table a few years ago and went to one of these stores to get the wood and they asked what I was building. I showed them the diagrams I had drawn and they said they’d build it for a few hundred kuai. I agreed and it ended up being rock solid – better than if I had made it myself!

Participant

What happened with this Brendan, did you end up finding someone?

I need to find someone that can build me a cheap weightlifting platform. Basically just a bunch of plywood, lumbers, carpet padding and horse stall mats screwed and glued together.

Or Charlie do you have any idea where I can start looking for these wood shops? I think that street nearby Tongzilin next to the Regal Masters has a bunch of shops with building materials, right? Maybe I can try my luck there?

Another obstacle (a pretty big one) is that I think it’s best if it gets built inside the apartment, lol. The thing is huge and weighs like 150kg.

Mission impossible?

null

null

null

Participant

I’d also be interested to hear what happened. I was looking to get a cider press made last year and the only person that could understand the diagram was quoting 10,000rmb which he quickly reduced to 3000rmb after I told him it was too much. I walked away in disgust.

I haven’t been active on the forum for a while so missed these posts. I have long since found a fantastic carpenter via a Chinese friend who can essentially build you anything that doesn’t require too fine a finish. Perfect for anything being put to use as utility.

There’s also an American chap I met a while ago named Justin who is a cabinet maker by trade, and should very shortly have arranged a workshop space to use for himself. If you have a request that needs a higher finish quality to it, PM me and I’ll pass a message/request along to him.

Vincent I see deadlifts in my future!

Keymaster

I have long since found a fantastic carpenter via a Chinese friend who can essentially build you anything that doesn’t require too fine a finish. Perfect for anything being put to use as utility.

Can you post contact info for this guy? This sounds perfect for my use – nothing fancy required, just solid, functional furniture.

Participant

+1 sounds like exactly what I’m looking for as well!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘In Chengdu’ is closed to new topics and replies.