No more F-visas for freelancers?

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionNo more F-visas for freelancers?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I’m a freelancing software developer based in Chengdu. Recently wanted to renew my 6 months F(business) visa but just now the policy has changed so it’s not possible for freelancers to get F visas in Chengdu. Contacted an agency in Beijing that I got my previous visa from and was told that even there it isn’t possible now.

Do anyone have some useful information? I’m doing research, trying to find other places to get a visa from. Hopefully I can get it from some other province. Know of any visa agency I can contact to see if it’s possible there? Any information would be much appreciated!

Give Nick at Shan Shui visa a call on 159 8229 4232

Participant

Friends having major visa hassles right now. The reason according to some is handover of head honcho later this year, and the annoying habit of sponataneous human combustion is certain areas. Situation seems similar to that of 2008 pre-Olympics. I know a friend is getting put thru the ringer trying to get a new business visa….maybe it’s time to become a “student”…

I normally use Nick and Shan Shui for my business visa extensions, but this time around I was told they are not able to do it.Their best advice for me was to leave the country and apply as a tourist every three months until matters settle and I can resume using a business visa. I too was also told a “change in management/bosses” has made it a sensitive time for agencies and business visas.

If you are in a time pinch, you can still use an agency and avail of an “L” visa which gives you an additional 30 days but you must leave the country after the 30 days…

Participant

Dark days indeed…..

Wow, I thought it was still possible but just needed to leave China more frequently. Not sure if this ease up, but I am not counting on it.

I was lucky this time with my F visa. I just missed the new regulation by a couple of days. The people that went to renew a couple of days after me were not able to renew and given the choice to convert to L visa for 1 month or just leave in 7 days. Nick at Shan Shui says it will be very difficult to get the F visa now. He told me a week before I got my visa that a new regulation may be coming from the proceedings in Beijing that week.

A couple of options are to find a company that will hire you as some type of expert and you can get a resident permit for 1 year. You would have to really be an expert and they need you or have some friend that owned a company. Another way is to start a company which will translate to all kinds of fees and tax liability, but still possible.

Let me know if you find another solution.

Participant

Yea, I applied for the visa here in Chengdu through Nick. Also considering becoming a student. Anyone know of a private school where I could start studying some time soon? Want to avoid having to wait for next semester.

Is it possible to get a 3 month L visa from like everywhere? Hong Kong? Malaysia? Would be nice if I don’t have to go all the way to my home country Sweden to get it.

I’ll be doing quite some research. Will let you know what I find out.

Participant

My friends in Guangxi, Yangshuo used this agency when ever they needed new visa’s as there it was difficult to get residence visa’s. They would send their passport to HK (or let someone bring it). And later the agency would send it back I think.

The website looks very simple, but the agency is good and I haven’t heard of any problems. Not sure how the agency gets the visa’s though, but they might be send to the US or something like it.

There were 2 options I think:

1. a business visa valid for 1 year with 3 months stay

2. a holiday visa for 1 year with 2 months stay

But as said before situations change, but they are also very helpful to give advice by email.

Hope it helps you guys.

Oh 1 more thing.

I went to Malaysia before to get a tourist visa. There you can even get one that’s valid for 2 years, BUT the people in the office decide how long 1 stay will be. I heard of people who got 6 months stays, but a few weeks later several friends just got 1 month stays (which totally sucks of course). I played it save and choose a 6 month visa with 3 month stay and 2 entries. You get a simple interview and can pick up your passport in 1,2 or 5 working days. 5 days was by far the cheapest.

Checked with the HK agency referred in this thread. Have heard good reports about this agency before. They quoted:

1 year F visa with 2 month stay, 5200rmb ( this is for US passport)

everything else was 1 month stay.

Checked with the HK agency referred in this thread. Have heard good reports about this agency before. They quoted:

1 year F visa with 2 month stay, 5200rmb ( this is for US passport)

everything else was 1 month stay.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    1 year F visa with 2 month stay

Do you mean you have to leave every 2 months? If so, that is crazy.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    1 year F visa with 2 month stay

Do you mean you have to leave every 2 months? If so, that is crazy.

Participant

Friend just got one-year tourist visa in his home country, but you have to leave every 3 months, so that’s basically a 10,000 kuai visa…..pricey….

Participant

Friend just got one-year tourist visa in his home country, but you have to leave every 3 months, so that’s basically a 10,000 kuai visa…..pricey….

Leaving every 3 months is also crazy…LOL

Leaving every 3 months is also crazy…LOL

Verified that they do offer the 1 year L visa with 3 month stay also. I was paying about 8000/year before the restrictions. Two F visa extensions and 1 trip to HK.

You right, its crazy. The whole visa process/requirements is less than sane. Welcome to the non-working, non-student, unmarried laowei trying to live in China.

Verified that they do offer the 1 year L visa with 3 month stay also. I was paying about 8000/year before the restrictions. Two F visa extensions and 1 trip to HK.

You right, its crazy. The whole visa process/requirements is less than sane. Welcome to the non-working, non-student, unmarried laowei trying to live in China.

Participant

It’s crazy if you live in Chengdu (or in any other place far away from the border). From Guilin (Guangxi) it was “only” 12 hours by bus to Shenzhen. Then you would just cross the border and come right back, to hop onto the next bus back home.

Now I’m lucky to study at a uni, not sure though what I’ll do after that. Hopefully the visa situation will improve in the future.

Participant

It’s crazy if you live in Chengdu (or in any other place far away from the border). From Guilin (Guangxi) it was “only” 12 hours by bus to Shenzhen. Then you would just cross the border and come right back, to hop onto the next bus back home.

Now I’m lucky to study at a uni, not sure though what I’ll do after that. Hopefully the visa situation will improve in the future.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 35 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.