Xiongmao Festival 2011 with DJ Shadow

HomeForumsIn ChengduXiongmao Festival 2011 with DJ Shadow

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

Xiong Mao just released the flyer for the festival in October headlined by DJ Shadow (who is “Shodaw” on their flyer lol).

Nnbgc.jpg

I’m opening for him along with a bunch of other cats in Chengdu so I hope you guys make it out.

Day 1 Techno & House

Outdoor: Terry Yu, Efdemin, Lawrence, Yang Bing

Live: Yangqin, Eddie Lv, Zhiqi, Yang Bing

Club: Dave K, Mia, Geezer, Harry Ho

Outside: Dave, Andy Mac, Miss Mixit

Day 2 Hip Hop and Drum ‘n’ Bass

Live: Charlie, DJ Wu, Shadow, Joe, Cvalda

Club: DJ Rabbi, R-Sun, Songfei, Jovian

Day 3 Electro

Live: Eat Alien’s Brain, Gramaphonetics, Liman, Sulumi

Club: Fiete, Martin, Future_k

Tickets

150 yuan for 3-day pass; 80 yuan for single-day

Available via ticket hotline or at Xiongmao, Little Bar, Hemp House, Café Paname, Lan Town, Jellyfish, Shamrock, Machu Picchu, Lotus Palace, Empty Bottle, Muse, etc

As some of you know I quit doing Disco Death for a year when Xiongmao shut down because there’s simply no suitable place but look forward to doin’ it again starting in October. Hopefully this festival will kick off the new Xiongmao in proper form.

Participant

BOH! BOH! BOH!

Participant

(^_^) where the kandi kids at?

Participant

Looking forward to it! What’s the location?

Also this.

Participant

Damn I’ve always wanted to see DJ Shadow live! I never thought i’d see him in China. that’s fuckin awesome! really looking forward to that festival!

Keymaster

@Vincent it’s at the new development in the east of Chengdu which is for music and culture. I’m not even sure what the official name is – from Tianfu Square it’s about 15 yuan to get there, so it’s still inside the city. The (new Xiong Mao) club has a capacity of like 1,000 inside and they’re also using a gigantic outside area which looks really cool and the capacity there is 5,000+. Looking forward to this! Hopefully nothing goes wrong.

@Doom87 me too. Never, ever imagined I would see DJ Shadow in Chengdu. The last time there was a show like this was 5 years ago when DJ Krush played at Underground, which was a really cool but short-lived club in the South of Chengdu. Shadow and this event is obviously much larger than that, but it’s been that long since there’s been a performer of this magnitude in Chengdu.

This is big news for Chengdu’s struggling music scene. Let’s hope Shadow really does make this, he’s one of the guys I’ve yet to see live. Didn’t realise Efdemin was on the bill too, the line up isn’t bad at all.

Chengdu still needs a drum and bass movement too. I could really see it taking off here.

Keymaster

Okay, Shadow is definitely coming to Chengdu. He just added “Panda Club” to his official tour schedule and there’s even a custom URL just for Chengdu show: DJ Shadow in Chengdu.

Apparently he even has his own iPhone app which you can take photos with at the show and they’ll all appear on this page on his website. He played in Virginia last night and I heard from some friends on Facebook that he killed it.

Participant

Yeah, he played Melbourne a few weeks ago and reports are good. The guy is pretty controversial and has some strong views about downloading and musical piracy. The Guardian had a great story/interview about a fortnight ago and the reader’s responses showed how he can polarise people. Looking forward to it…

Participant

As stated Shadow is definitely playing. Efdemin and Lawrence both playing on the 1st. They have a VJ coming with them from Berlin too.

They’ve scaled back the outdoor side of it so all of those guys will be playing in the club.

Some more info here

http://www.chengdumusic.com/node/132

Keymaster

Do you know who “Lawrence” is? Originally I thought it was Chris Lawrence, since he’s in the photo above, but then they changed the photo and released a new flyer with some other guy named Lawrence on it.

Also, are you sure about no one playing outside?? When I visited a week ago they were prepping the massive outdoor area.

Participant

It’s an opening ceremony for the whole area. That huge outside area will be for bands/singers/speeches etc. xiong mao only have a 2 hour time slot there.

haha, yeah that original flyer was messed up! Lawrence sometimes goes by the name of Sten. Here are some links

http://www.residentadvisor.net/dj/lawrence

Keymaster
    Quote:
    It’s an opening ceremony for the whole area. That huge outside area will be for bands/singers/speeches etc. xiong mao only have a 2 hour time slot there.

Aww man, that is terrible news. I was there just a week ago and Tanzhong was telling me that Shadow would be playing in that massive outside area. The inside is for sure gonna be too small.

Participant

When you say too small, are we talking Little Bar small (abit cramped) or are we talking “can’t move-gotta-get-out” small (ie. Old Little Bar)?

Participant

way bigger than that approx 500 capacity.

Participant

I mean the comfort factor. Is it big enough for the crowd Shadow is gonna pull?

Participant

Aye, you know how these things go.

I think originally they wanted the headliners on day 1 to be outside on that huge stage. Day 2 & 3 were always gonna be inside. I don’t think Shadow was ever meant to play outside.

Participant

tigerkuma,

Probably not. Doors open about 9.30pm. Shadow is expected to start at 11.30ish. Get down early.

I think the question really is whether or not Shadow is going to pull such a crowd in Chengdu. Sure people know he’s coming, and a handful of us foreign bodies will be making it there, but how many people in Chengdu know who Shadow is!?

I remain the optimistic pessimist though, if this show goes well, and the venue pans out, it could be a real turning point for the city.

I have high hopes of seeing a solid drum and bass presence in Chengdu, and this event definitely points in that direction.

Participant

HZ: he’ll pull a crowd here. The Chinese websites and promotion will mention that he is a major international DJ, and the young guys in Chengdu will check it out. They know, as well as we do, how starved Chengdu is for major international talent. But dude, can 80’s hair-metallers-one-hit-wonders Extreme get people to Big Love festival.

Just two queries re Shadow: any idea how long the set will be? And by all reports his “shadowsphere” stage set up is spectacular. I wonder can the Xiongmao club accommodate this? Also remaining skeptically optimistic…

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 49 total)
  • The forum ‘In Chengdu’ is closed to new topics and replies.