2014 New Music Thread

HomeForumsGeneral Discussion2014 New Music Thread

• This topic has 14 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Avatar photoLiam.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

We now have amazing forum threads of new music from both 2012 and 2013. Let’s continue the tradition with 2014.

If you recommend something it’s encouraged to include a link to Youtube, Spotify, or download it. You can embed a Youtube clip into a forum post really easily by just posting the youtube clip URL on its own line. You don’t have to do anything else, the video will just appear. If you don’t have a VPN, we recommend StrongVPN, CactusVPN, and EarthVPN.

I had no idea that Crystal Method was releasing a new album, but they in fact do have a new self-titled album that is pretty good. Here’s a track from it:

Crystal Method – Emulator

Participant

Just downloaded the new Actress album. Listening to it now.

Keymaster

Beck has a new album coming out in a few weeks, which has already been leaked online. Been listening to it the last few days, it sounds like a sequel to his previous album Sea Change (acoustic orchestral spacey indie rock).

I was a huge fan Sea Change so I’m really enjoying this. Like Sea Change, it’s a contemplative, slightly melancholy album. It’s kind of like Beck’s version of Bob Dylan’s Blood on the Tracks. Some reviews of this album have just begun being published, here is one.

And a new Broken Bells album, the release date is today. It’s a follow up to their debut 2010 album. Sounds a little similar to Vampire Weekend:

Participant

Woah, I really enjoyed that Broken Bells track. Here’s something in an almost similar guise, a song by Phantogram from their second album, out in a few weeks.

I’m just having no luck with this embed code. Man I hate html.

Keymaster

Woah, I really enjoyed that Broken Bells track. Here’s something in an almost similar guise, a song by Phantogram from their second album, out in a few weeks.

Oh man, I just got the new Phantogram EP 2 days ago, it’s so good. I love this track:

I’m just having no luck with this embed code. Man I hate html.

You don’t need to use any embed code, just copy and paste the Youtube URL onto its own line.

Keymaster

Schoolboy Q (feat Raekwon) – Blind Threats

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxS7e5XyOuY

Participant

I’ll just leave this here:

The Largest Vocabulary in Hip Hop

Keymaster

From the new Atmosphere album “Southsiders”

I’ll just leave this here:

The Largest Vocabulary in Hip Hop

East Coast representing pretty hard here. Nice to see so many Wu Tang members ranking highly. Most of them have always come with beautifully articulate rhymes, especially GZA.

Picture bloodbaths and elevator shafts
    Like these murderous rhymes tight from genuine craft
    Check the print, it’s where veterans spark the letterings
    Slow moving MC’s is waitin for the editin
    The liquid soluble that made up the chemistry
    A gaseous element, that burned down your ministry

Participant

Fatima Al Qadiri – Asiatisch

Just gave it a first listen… been getting really good reviews from everywhere, FACT Pitchfork Dummy

Opening track features Helen Feng (From Nova Heart) singing in mandarin over Nothing compares 2 u…pretty bizarre

From the Guardian

Nations as mythologies, as fantasies, as erratic aggregations of commerce, junk-media, fabricated fictions: all these feed into Al Qadiri’s debut album Asiatisch. Its title is derived from the German word for Asia, but it’s actually about the concept of China. Song titles such as Shanghai Freeway, Hainan Island and Szechuan may reference real places, but the use of synthesised voices and digital snares alongside “traditional” gongs and bells, the toggling between classical poetry and nonsensical Mandarin, and the creation of a moodscape that moves seamlessly between cheesy, eerie and darkly erotic suggest that Al Qadiri is more interested in Chinas of the mind.

“I’ve never been,” she says unapologetically. “The record is trying to posit a notion of an imagined China. This imagined China is for me something that has been brewing for centuries. It started with the opium wars. It’s like a garbage tapestry: you don’t know what the fabric is; it’s not something that’s easily identifiable or quantifiable; there’s a catalogue of films and cartoons and comic books within it, but one that many authors have contributed to. The Asia in Asiatisch is a nexus of stereotypes that have been perpetrated, elaborated, embellished and weaved, each time further and further dislocated from the original misrepresentation.”

This sounds rather like Edward Said’s concept of orientalism which, in his celebrated 1978 study, he characterised as a “cultural apparatus that is all aggression”. But where Said saw himself as a debunker and exposer of those phoney versions of the east peddled by novelists, historians and diplomats, there’s little sense of protest in Asiatisch. Al Qadiri doesn’t claim – or perhaps even seek – to stand outside of that “nexus of stereotypes”. “I don’t know the real China,” she says. “Only the China the west has been feeding me: this elaborate, simulated roadtrip through virtual China that has been developed over centuries.”

The China that Al Qadiri creates isn’t a source of ancient wisdoms. It is thrilling, hyper-sleek, as glistening, eager to delight and designed to ensnare as a shopping mall or the duty-free concourses of a modern airport. It’s an emerald city, a sci-fi wonderland, a themepark simulation of China – a utopia that, like all utopias, doesn’t exist. Or should that be a replicant China? “I always think in architecture,” says Al Qadiri. “The China on this record would be brutalist architecture … made of jade. There’s something very dainty and delicate about my melodic compositions, but they are made by digital tools, which also render them clunky, cold.”

Participant

This is dated November of last year, but I thought it belonged here. Bastille covering TLC’s No Scrubs. Awesome.

Participant

Smooth Jazz Chillout 8 – Exotic Blues

http://youtu.be/0eeepT1zOJ8

smooth Jazz chillout 7 – City Jazz

http://youtu.be/KDTj-IBBHgA

Participant

New Fucked Up album is excellent. Also new Mastodon sounds cool

Participant
    Participant

Afghan Whig’s cover of Frank Ocean’s “lovecrimes”

Also, kind of in the same vein, Diplo remixes Lorde’s Tennis Court:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.