2015 New Music Thread

HomeForumsGeneral Discussion2015 New Music Thread

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

We have a running tradition on Chengdu Living of “New Music Threads” which I would like to carry on for 2015. This has been a great way to share and discover new music in the past. Here are a link to previous threads:

If you recommend something it’s encouraged to include a link to Youtube, Spotify, or download it. You can embed a Youtube clip into a forum post really easily by just posting the youtube clip URL on its own line. You don’t have to do anything else, the video will just appear. If you don’t have a VPN, we recommend Vypr VPN which offers 50% off the first month if you want to try it out.

There’s already been a ton of good new music this year so I will post some of my favorites from this year so far:

Madeon – Adventure

Madeon became famous a few years ago when he recorded a Youtube clip of himself performing a remix DJ set live. Since then he’s become a well-known producer, and this is his first major-label album debut. It sounds Daft Punk-ish and some songs are quite poppy, but it’s very catchy.

Madeon – Adventure on Spotify

Action Bronson – Mr Wonderful

Action Bronson’s first major-label album debut. Famous for releasing well-loved mixtapes with illustrious hip hop music producers like Harry Fraud, The Alchemist, and Statik Selektah. The range of music on this album is kind of all over the map, but there’s a lot of wacky off-the-wall silliness as you would expect.

Action Bronson – Mr Wonderful on Spotify

Bright Light Social Hour – Space Is Still the Place

This is a psychedelia band from Texas that I hadn’t heard of until recently. They are awesome. I have listened to this album many, many times. Reminds me of The Black Keys a little bit, but I prefer Bright Light Social Hour.

Bright Light Social Hour – Space Is Still the Place on Spotify

What have you been checking out in 2015?

Participant

I always check every song in this channel:

Proximity Music

they usually upload some good stuff (at least i like it)

Participant

Mugwump’s debut album – Unspell (2015)

This is a pretty good floor friendly mix he did a few years ago:

While this is from 2014, I just caught onto this (recorded with Anton from the Brian Jonestown Massacre) –

The KVB – Out of Body EP (2014)

Awesome EP collaboration between two young up-and-comers, Lido and Canblaster.

+ a very cool making-of video

Keymaster

New Tyler, The Creator

Keymaster

This parody attempts to highlight the challenges facing the new Chinese leadership, President Xi Jinping and Premier Li Keqiang. This “Next Episode” of Chinese leadership thus far has included a renewed emphasis on reform, an aggressive anti-corruption campaign to clean up the CCP, and increased social controls in an attempt to maintain stability during this period of great change in China. It is unclear how history will judge Xi and Li in retrospect, but one thing is for sure, they are every bit as “gangsta” as Snoop and Dre (props to Wang Qishan too). Shout out to Snoopy and Doc for the track.

Keymaster

New album from Portland-based duo The Helio Sequence. Kind of raspy-voiced ambient psychedelic rock:

Galimatias makes some groovy, string-adorned beats for Alina Baraz’s sensual vocals. 10/10 still bobbing my head

Keymaster

A$AP Rocky – L$D

A single of the new A$AP Rocky album that strangely, doesn’t really feature any rapping in it. Very visually interesting music video for a rap video, which is actually co-directed by Rocky himself. With this and the Action Bronson song Easy Rider there is now a trend of psychedelia-themed rap videos.

New Neon Indian track. Summer is here

Keymaster

This.

Keymaster

Shocked and amazed at how Diplo wins at everything. This video has 130 million views now. Although it’s pretty commercial (being called one of the “songs of summer 2015” in the states) but it’s cool to see him continue to find such big success with this ethnic/pop hybrid style. Also feels like it’s come kind of full circle since this song:

This.

Really nice. I have been a huge fan of 20syl since the mid-2000’s when his turntablist team C2C won the DMC Team Championship 3 times in a row. He’s come far since then. There’s a video of him on Youtube producing a track in his studio and playing and recording every instrument by himself, it’s pretty amazing.

Keymaster

Quality!

https://soundcloud.com/deltaheavy/zhu-faded-delta-heavy-bootleg

Sorry for the cheap self promo here. If you get time, check out my stuffs 🙂 I’ll be moving to Chengdu very soon.

Keymaster

Saw this recently on Conan O’Brien and have been listening to the recent “My Love is Cool” album from this band a lot this week. Really nice nostalgia mid-90’s rock sound.

Quality!

Is this your music – 龙马? If so, really good! Overall great music that you posted, thanks for sharing.

Keymaster

The sound design in here:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=HQo0a2fjEHU

Keymaster

The sound design in here:

Very nice, has a very raw and golden era of drum & bass sound to it. Reminds me of this classic album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yueN6Ghe68I

Keymaster

Massive.

Participant

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.