Anyone Get a Resident Permit Lately?

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionAnyone Get a Resident Permit Lately?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Trying to fly home for the summer but waiting on my new FEC and RP as I’m changing schools. I was just told it’s going to be 5 working days for the FEC and another 15 for the RP. Does that sound about right these days or am I getting the canned bureaucratic response? I realize it’s a busy time but jeez. I was hoping early-mid July at the latest, they (supposedly) started the process on the 16th.

Participant

For a new one it is a long period – for a renewal it’s short. If it’s a different company, should be a new permit, ie. long period…

Keymaster

Yeah, it’s a real hassle the first time you get one. After that, it’s easy. Expect to have to jump through a lot of hoops.

Participant

Ahhh….doh! But my current RP expires 7/15 so I will naively assume they will have it done by then. Gotta love it.

Keymaster

Ahhh….doh! But my current RP expires 7/15 so I will naively assume they will have it done by then. Gotta love it.

If your employer is handling that stuff for you, you shouldn’t have to worry about it to much. I’ve been in the situation where my visa was expired but since my new visa was in processing and hadn’t arrived yet, I didn’t have an issue. Your employer or whomever is providing your visa should be able to provide information on how to proceed.

Participant

Yeah, the lady at the new school (UESTC) gave me the info referenced in the OP. Trying not to bug her too much, but she doesn’t seem to eager to provide updates. Classes are over, I’m just bored out here in Tonganzhen and ready to go home to friends and family for a while.

Currently exploring nearby travel options like Leshan and Yunnan…still need to get up to the panda reserve too. Have to stick to buses since I’m sans passport.

Participant

Yep since last June renewals 5 FEC 15 PSB.  We had the same gripe last year.

It used to take 10 working days, but if you want to travel in country fly or train the PSB will give you a travel permit.  I will pick mine up tomorrow.

Participant

Wood it sounds to me like your problem is if the booklet isn’t returned before the 15th, you _will_ have a problem. If your visa renewal is delayed due to work permit taking too long they do not accept that as an excuse, and you need to get extra bullshit documentation and sign some stuff saying you accept that being on your record etc.

Seems to me though, that you’re well within that time range – you’ll make it 😀 just make sure to get any of the other documents you need for visa renewal prep’d if you need anything, and all will be good.

Participant

I’ve been in the process of changing schools so have applied for a new FEC & received it on Monday. I also wanted to leave China mid-July & talked to the PSB yesterday & they said that if I have a ticket booked (& I already had my FEC) & if I showed proof of my flight, I could apply for an earlier RP collection date. I handed in my documents today with my passport & they said I could collect it on the 10th July (the day before I fly they specified). Usually, it should take 15 working days but with a flight confirmation it ‘should’ be OK.

Participant

Iona, that is extremely helpful, thanks. Now to call orbitz and see how much it’ll cost to move my flight up (and take advantage of United’s new direct flights from Chengdu to LAX). I suppose I should ask the woman at the school to call the PSB for confirmation so that she’ll be a little more on the ball to get this done.

Rick, not too worried about it. The FEC will be done soon and the PSB will have everything well before the RP expires. It will be on them to get it done before the old RP expires (not that they give a shit haha) but hopefully with the flight confirmation it’ll be all good.

Participant

WoodWERD, Sorry, I misunderstood – you don’t have to worry about that part then, they don’t care if it is complete before the old one expires. As long as they accept all of your documents and begin the processing before it expires, the collection date doesn’t matter – there can be any gap 😀

Isn’t processing time for resident visa officially 30 working days?

What am I missing?

Participant

You might be thinking of the window you have to obtain the RP once you enter on your visa?

You might be thinking of the window you have to obtain the RP once you enter on your visa?

You might be right on that now I think about it. If I’m not mistaken, once your application is in you remain in status until permit is granted/denied, which itself takes 30 working days (officially).

Participant

Just wanted to follow-up…I gambled and it seems the luck was in my favor this time. Went to PSB today with proof of my flight for the 14th, they had me fill out a short ’emergency’ form on which I requested a pick-up date on the 11th. Sure enough the guy said it would be ready that afternoon. Thanks again for the tip Iona!

Now to pack up and get moved into the new apartment this Friday. No more boonies, woohoo!

Participant

Good job 😀 And good information for anyone needing rush service.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.