Ask me anything! Redbeard Burgers

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionAsk me anything! Redbeard Burgers

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Author

What advice would you give to someone wanting to open a restaurant in Chengdu?

Love the onion rings BTW.

Participant

It’s not something I can listen to passively while I work – I think I’d have to sit down and pay attention to it to really understand what is happening musically, so I will do that soon. I’m always on the lookout for new and interesting music; I need to give it a more focused listening than I am able to do in the shop.

Participant

Advice on opening a restaurant in Chengdu? Figure out a few things, like what is missing in the market that you know there is demand for, and whether or not you think you can fill the market gap. If you have a skill that you think can fill a need and demand that isn’t being filled, then you might be ready to think about opening a place. You should focus on what makes your product unique, and really work on making it the highest quality that you can. The word will get out and people will come. Don’t get too bogged down with gimmicks, and definitely don’t try to expand too quickly or overreach before your business is ready. Too many places fail by getting too big, too fast. Last thing – you should care more about whether or not your food is good than how much money you make or want to make. If you don’t, your food will suck. If your food is good, people will figure it out and you will make money in the longer term.

Participant

…..and enforce a no-smoking policy 🙂
    (non-smoker here. Yayyyy!!!)

Participant

Another tip for anyone starting a business these days is showing and maintaining a friendly face with the customers and establishing bonds with members of the local community.

You guys at Redbeard have a very welcoming and warm atmosphere 🙂 The best in town in a burger joint haha :p

Reputation is everything in the 21st Century >>

Participant

awww…. you’re sweet 🙂 people like you make it easy to be nice 🙂

Seriously though, we do try to bring a little southern hospitality to our corner of the world, and I like to think that people appreciate it 🙂

Keymaster

I’m late to this thread but I have a question which is related to this:

Advice on opening a restaurant in Chengdu? Figure out a few things, like what is missing in the market that you know there is demand for

Within the context of foreign eateries in Chengdu, what do you think there is missing in the market? Are there any particular types of cuisine that you feel are missing in Chengdu? If you could have a group of dedicated people from outside China establish a presence within Chengdu’s food scene with food from their homeland, what would it be?

Participant

Two things come to mind immediately- firstly, authentic Mexican food, NOT Tex-Mex. There is a vast world of difference, namely in the fresh flavors, healthy cuisine and exciting ingredients from Mexican food that get totally lost in TexMex, especially bad TexMex. I might weep a little weep if some Mexican expats came to Chengdu and did this. I would certainly be a regular patron. After eating real Mexican food, you’ll never want Texmex again. Or at least I dont. I also think the Chinese would like it too, as the fresh vegetables and spicy flavors would be somewhat familiar to the Chinese palate.

Another thing that is a goldmine waiting to happen is Cajun food. The rich and flavorful treasures of bayou cuisine would tantalize the Chinese – using familiar ingredients (crawfish, rice, peppers) in unfamiliar and delicious ways. Gumbo could take over Sichuan.

Keymaster

Two things come to mind immediately- firstly, authentic Mexican food, NOT Tex-Mex. There is a vast world of difference, namely in the fresh flavors, healthy cuisine and exciting ingredients from Mexican food that get totally lost in TexMex, especially bad TexMex. I might weep a little weep if some Mexican expats came to Chengdu and did this. I would certainly be a regular patron. After eating real Mexican food, you’ll never want Texmex again. Or at least I dont. I also think the Chinese would like it too, as the fresh vegetables and spicy flavors would be somewhat familiar to the Chinese palate. Another thing that is a goldmine waiting to happen is Cajun food. The rich and flavorful treasures of bayou cuisine would tantalize the Chinese – using familiar ingredients (crawfish, rice, peppers) in unfamiliar and delicious ways. Gumbo could take over Sichuan.

Yes. Mexican food makes so much sense. I have been waiting for that for years. Quite important that it’s a Mexican person or group that does it, in my opinion.

Cajun food is not one that I had thought of. But I do go to the states with people from Chengdu semi-regularly. Last year when in San Francisco I took some colleagues to a Cajun soul food restaurant in the Tenderloin and their reaction was priceless: “Before this meal, I thought all the food in America sucked. This is amazing!” These are guys who brought instant noodles in their suitcases to America.

Participant

…authentic Mexican food, NOT Tex-Mex. There is a vast world of difference, namely in the fresh flavors, healthy cuisine and exciting ingredients from Mexican food that get totally lost in TexMex, especially bad TexMex.

“Quite important that it’s a Mexican person or group that does it, in my opinion.”

I couldnt agree more with you guys, i’ve been to Peter’s tex-mex and its just so different, i rather order anyother food (not saying is bad) than tex-mex.
    The way i survive is cooking for myself some basic stuff, that way i dont feel so far from my country

Participant

<span style=”font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 22.8444442749023px; line-height: 33.4592590332031px; text-align: justify;”>The way i survive is cooking for myself some basic stuff, that way i dont feel so far from my country</span>

have you found masa anywhere? they have some at Sabrinas, but it is vastly overpriced and a little too fine. Also, corn husks? I have subbed parchment paper with some success in tamales, but they don’t impart any flavor, like corn husks do.

Participant

I just came here a couple of months so basic food is enough for me and havent looked for more.
    If you find “plantain leaves” (i found this, i hope is the right translation) you can do tamales with that, look for it, they are also delicious, a little different from the ones that you talk about which are from center of mexico, these are from the southeast where i come from

Participant

Other than your own, what establishment has served you the best burger to your memory?   In other words, what’s you guys’ favorite restaurant burger, respectively?

Also, do you like fast-food burgers?    (I miss Whataburger)

Finally, it’s pretty general knowledge that Mike (pizza man) loves Elvis.   Is there that special performer/musician that might grace me once I have my  chance to eat at Redbeard’s?

Thanks

Participant

Nick says that his favorite burger ever comes from Goldie’s Patio Grill in Tulsa, Oklahoma. He says that it was so good because they are consistently thick and juicy, and come with good coleslaw, his favorite burger topping.

My favorite is the veggie burger sliders from S&B burger joint in Oklahoma City. The Asian sliders with wasabi cream and miso aioli are just killer. They also have great smothered fries with lots of vegetarian options, so I can get my cheat day on and feel like a normal person ;).

Favorite fast food burger for Nick is Fatburger is LA. He thinks they are bigger and juicer than In&Out and taste like a ‘real’ burger instead of thin fast food patties.

honestly, I have yet to eat a fast food vegetarian option that is worth the powder it would take to blow to hell. I’m waiting!

Nick loves Led Zeppelin as much as Mike loves Elvis, but we can’t afford to book them 😉 we have live music two nights a week, with Jessica (me) doing our jazz nights on Thursday (funky harp and vocals), and Friday live guitar and vocals with Papa Doc. We have a good time!

Participant

Excellent!   I just might have to make a trip to Oklahoma next time I’m back home.  Sadly I’ve only driven through a few times (on the I-35 and then in Kansas get massively confused on how to continue northeast to Minnesota).

Eating a real-deal bacon-cheeseburger and listening to something like “the song remains the same”  sounds like a religious experience to me.   Especially if coleslaw is a topping!

I’ll surely try to come in on a Thurs. or Fri.  for the music.

Thanks !  😉

Participant

Just as an idea :

French Crêpes – I think it would work with both sweet and savory fillings.

On the 1st of May I threw out a mini-party and for dessert I did something special with French crêpes and must tell you that all my ten Chinese guest were absolutely amazed by the crêpes and loved my dessert. )))

Participant

They were probably all like:

这个很像蛋烘糕。

What’s largest observed celestial mass?

Keymaster

The Asian sliders with wasabi cream and miso aioli are just killer. They also have great smothered fries with lots of vegetarian options, so I can get my cheat day on and feel like a normal person 😉

Are you a vegetarian hamburger entrepreneur? If so, how does that happen? Do you have a vegetarian burger at Red Beard and if not, are there plans to offer one?

Participant

Hi, Sylvia! If you like French crepes, you should run, not walk, to Johnny 5 Donuts. Our friend Gerard makes excellent authentic French crepes with sweet or savory fillings 🙂

Participant

Yes Charlie, and believe me, I am fully aware of the irony in that. I have been a strict vegetarian for many years, and that will most likely continue for the rest of my life. When we discussed which restaurant concept to do, it became apparent that Nick’s talents lie in making excellent burgers, and there was market demand. Also, he’s very passionate about making burgers, and he really wanted to.

So, two reasons, I want to run a successful business, and I want to be a supportive partner. I have struggled with reconciling the two, believe me, but one way I am able to do so is to offer a variety of high quality and tasty vegetarian options at RBB. We actually have a vegetarian menu (it’s on the reverse side), and our soups, desserts, and sides are vegetarian. Many of our most popular fries are vegetarian as well. the reason we don’t serve wings at RBB is so we can keep our fryer oil vegetarian. (Our fries are actually vegan). I have plans to offer more extensive vegetarian options going forward, which will include meal salads.

I also periodically offer vegetarian cooking workshops featuring international cuisine. I am a vegetarian chef, and I believe that food can and should be delicious first, vegetarian second. I wouldn’t have maintained this diet so far if I was suffering ;).

I believe that veggie food isn’t just for vegetarians. It’s for anyone that wants to help conserve natural resources and improve their health. Meatless days of the weeks are something that many non-vegetarians do, for many reasons. Many of our customers order off the veggie menu on occasion, just because the food is tasty (also less expensive).

A bonus effect of this is that we get a lot of business from vegetarians here in Chengdu. There aren’t a lot of appetizing options for vegetarians in town, and I can speak from personal experience about how happy I always am to find a restaurant that can not only accommodate vegetarians, but actually make them happy.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.