Average Rent in Chengdu?

HomeForumsIn ChengduAverage Rent in Chengdu?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi all,

Looking around on the web, I see a huge range of rental prices in Chengdu. Could you help me with estimating the rental price for an enjoyable +/-100 sqm, 2-3 bedroom apartment in a quiet and good neighbourhood?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Depends on your standards. The median is probably around 2700RMB/mo for a 100sqm 2 bedroom. Popular areas to live in the city center are Tongzilin and Yulin.

By my standards, nice, clean, fairly new, central, 2BR 100sqm were all over 3000/mo.

Keymaster

Rent in Chengdu can vary wildly, depending mostly on:

1. The location that you live in. Yulin, Tongzilin, and areas around the US Consulate are most expensive. The South of Chengdu is the most expensive. The North is very cheap, by comparison.
    2. The type of building you live in. Is it old or new? Older residential developments will have been built in the actual-Communist era and feature walk-up steps. Newer buildings have amenities like pools and elevators. The latter cost far more, often twice or three times as much as the former.

I agree with Chris though, if you’re looking for a 2-3 bedroom apartment in a district where other expats live, I would expect to pay 3k+ rmb. If you live in a remote part of the city, I would reduce that to 2k+.

I have lived in the East, the West, and South. The South is much more expensive, but for me it’s worth paying more for. Rent isn’t particularly expensive in Chengdu to begin with unless you’re in one of these ridiculous (my opinion) complexes like “The Master” where you’re paying first-world capital city rent.

Participant

Thank you both for your input!

Participant

Wait wait. I think Chris & Charlie missed something:

“Quiet & good neighbourhood”

There is no quiet neighbourhood in Chengdu. 😀

True. If you have a window, you will hear scooter alarms, cars honking at the air, ferraris racing, and cats fucking.

Keymaster

Wait wait. I think Chris & Charlie missed something: “Quiet & good neighbourhood” There is no quiet neighbourhood in Chengdu. 😀

Yulin. It’s quiet. No construction sites, no cranes, and only small alleys which don’t have many cars on them (with the exception of 2-3 major thoroughfares in the neighborhood). At night I can open my bedroom window and it’s completely silent (another bedroom in my place look out toward one of the main thoroughfares and I can’t sleep well there because I’ve gotten used to the silence).

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘In Chengdu’ is closed to new topics and replies.