Candid information on working at Times English

HomeForumsClassifiedsJobs & Apartment RentalsCandid information on working at Times English

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I found no information about this local training school chain prior to working there. I want to provide my experience with them for potential employees to consider. In short, I do not recommend this school.

The tolerable: the work is not too hard. Class loads are usually manageable and less than 20 classes per week. Other employees who teach are mostly agreeable and helpful. The books are Pearson, and the smart boards are helpful for building your lessons. You will have a lot of free time which is either good or bad depending on your hobbies.

The ugly: you will get screwed out of money. I tried to leave on good terms and provided advanced notice as soon as I decided that I would leave. They took advantage of this, and they cut about 25% of my paycheck stating vague reasons that very loosely tied into my contract. They were supposed to pay for my housing, but because I took two days off of work in my last month, I apparently voided this entire part of my salary. Even though this doesn’t occur in the contract. They effectively stole money from me as I tried to leave on good terms. I resent their short-sighted greediness.

Disorganization and helicopter secretaries. Do you need materials to teach an art-themed class of 12 students? They will give you a paper plate for each student and four paintbrushes for them to share. Try making that work with a bunch of five year olds for an hour. At the end of each day, you’ll shove paper class evaluation forms into chaotically-stacked student folders that will never be read. If you have only one class, you still need to be at work for the eight hours. Have a hobby or read lots of books while sitting on chairs that don’t reach your knees.

I realized how little the school cares about its foreign teachers when their yearly party presentation contains hours and hours of powerpoints and people talking about the school’s success with no English translations.

Don’t let the foreign teacher manager who is also a foreigner fool you. He hates the job and is a shell of a person who is only there because he’s married into the company.

You can find a better job with more support for their foreign teachers and the ethics to treat you as a person, not a replaceable white face. I spent hours making supplementary worksheets for this school when I had time, but that didn’t stop me from being exploited when I left. Avoid Times English. Fancy logos and parties with Teslas can’t hide the stench of corruption and incompetence.

Keymaster

Yikes. Thanks for sharing this. You definitely have to watch out for most (all?) of the English teaching outfits here.

Participant

Wow, that sounds horrible. I seriously don’t get how anyone gets a good night sleep running a business that way.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Jobs & Apartment Rentals’ is closed to new topics and replies.