Catholic Churches

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionCatholic Churches

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Just arrived in Chengdu yesterday and was wondering are there catholic churches here in Chengdu which holds a regular mass in English? Masses in Chinese are also OK for me but I prefer English ones.

Participant

Yes there are. They are somewhere near Tongxilin on Sundays. You shold reach out to friends, family, or through phone as churches are not allowed to prosolate in china.

Participant

jI5eNYC.jpg

chapel,

Ping An Qiao catholic church, Chengdu

Participant

Hello,

Yes the picture above is part of the Immaculate Conception Catholic Church, which is located No. 25 Ping’an Alley. It is the only Catholic Church/ service in Chengdu, and nearest metro stop is Luomashi. If you pick up a go chengdoo magazine it is on the map inside.

It is not near Tongzillin, I believe that is the Christian Fellowship Church.

The English service is held at 4pm every Saturday. See you there!

Participant

Just so you know, all “Catholic” things in China are not sanctioned by the Vatican since by law in order for Christians to practice legally, the teaching have to be approved by the government. Hence here, the state has the final say in what the Gospel can be here. Because of this, there are no diplomatic relations between the two countries and the “priests” here are not acknowledged by the Vatican. When the state-approved “Arch-bishop” of Shanghai switched his allegiance to the Vatican a few months ago, he disappeared immediately.

Participant

Thank you everyone for the replies, I will go to the one PingAn Alley this Sunday.

Quote:
    Just so you know, all “Catholic” things in China are not sanctioned by the Vatican since by law…

Yeah, I know about this situation when I was in Beijing a couple of months ago. Anyway, I really don’t care whether it is sanction or not by the Vatican. It’s my own faith that matters.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Just so you know, all “Catholic” things in China are not sanctioned by the Vatican since by law in order for Christians to practice legally, the teaching have to be approved by the government. Hence here, the state has the final say in what the Gospel can be here. Because of this, there are no diplomatic relations between the two countries and the “priests” here are not acknowledged by the Vatican. When the state-approved “Arch-bishop” of Shanghai switched his allegiance to the Vatican a few months ago, he disappeared immediately.

That is fascinating. May I ask, how did you learn all of this? Are there any articles or stories available about this online?

Participant
    Participant

Here are some things from Aljazeera: Christianity: China’s Best Bet and China Church Ordains New Bishop

I do remember reading various short headlines on Aljazeera on the subject over the years too, as well as some of my teachers and priests back in Catholic school mentioning it. My memory doesn’t serve me well on what they said though.

Participant

China Bishop Placed in Isolation After Quitting Government Post

Okay, I may have gotten a few things wrong in my original post, but that just shows how complicated the matter is.

Participant

Well to summarize all of above and I think this is the correct situation at the moment.

China has its own Catholic Patriotic Association (CPA) that is a part of the State Administration for Religious Affairs. All worship activities must be conducted through their approval. This matter conflicts the Chinese Government and the Vatican on “who is in charge”. The Chinese CPA wants bishops and priests that conforms to the Chinese ideology and recognizes the governments supremacy not the Vatican’s. So each bishop or priest appointed by the CPA may have not been approved by the Vatican, that goes the other way around also, priests and bishop who are appointed by the Vatican may have not been approved by the CPA, which in turn cannot practice or conduct church or worship activities legally in China. 差不多。。

Participant

Both groups need better PR management….

Participant

Nah, I think those stuff are bound to happen when they’re 2 totalitarian system working on the same thing.

Quote:
    Totalitarianism (or totalitarian rule) is a political system in which the state holds total authority over the society and seeks to control all aspects of public and private life whenever necessary.

and

Quote:
    Papal supremacy refers to the doctrine of the Roman Catholic Church that the pope, by reason of his office as Vicar of Christ and as pastor of the entire Christian Church, has full, supreme, and universal power over the whole Church, a power which he can always exercise unhindered: that, in brief, “the Pope enjoys, by divine institution, supreme, full, immediate, and universal power in the care of souls.”

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Nah, I think those stuff are bound to happen when they’re 2 totalitarian system working on the same thing.

Well put. Thanks for posting that info.

Quote:
    Here are some things from Aljazeera: Christianity: China’s Best Bet and China Church Ordains New Bishop

These are great, thanks Paul. I would love to speak to some kind of authority on Christianity in China on this.

The Pope can kiss my ass.

Just sayin’.

Participant

“When in doubt…” Go to China, the government always know what you should do.

Quote:
    The Pope can kiss my ass.

Just sayin’.

Touché!!

Participant

The Pope can kiss my ass. Ass… Invitation for some cardinals,priests and bishops?

Participant

Brendan, I’ll be seeing you (in the words of the mighty Slayer) SOUTH OF HEAVEN!!!

Participant

Some facts:

Pope is translated as 教宗, literally “Church Patriarch “in HK Taiwan and overseas Chinese and catholic communities. This is an appropriate translation.

In communist ruled mainland, Pope is translated as 教皇 , literally “Church Emperor”,

For communists, Vatican is a sovereign state, rather than a church.

Beijing confiscated all church properties since 1950s, and the Catholic Church, like all other organisations, was outlawed. Therefore, Vatican refused to acknowledge Beijings legitimacy over Taiwan where freedom of religion is observed.

It is purely politics and diplomacy.

Keymaster

Gavin emailed me this image and asked that I post it here:

church.jpg

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.