Chengdu Club for Movie Lovers

HomeForumsIn ChengduChengdu Club for Movie Lovers

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Come one, come all to an evening of filthy filmophile feasting. Tonight is documentary film night at Machu Picchu 2 where the Film Freak, the (aptly) titled club of Chengdu fine folk who enjoy films, gathers multiple times a week to engorge our irises upon brightly-colored moving pictures, our aural cavities upon eclectic arrays of sound and our gullets upon gloriously free popcorn.

Tonight at 7:30 p.m.: The Act of Killing. Here’s the wikipedia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Act_of_Killing

Werner Herzog, of Grizzly Man fame (and NOTHING else), said, “I have not seen a film as powerful, surreal and frightening in at least a decade.” Strong words from the one of the most prolific dudes in film.

Roger Ebert gave it 4 stars (http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/the-act-of-killing-2013).

The AV Club gave it an A (http://www.avclub.com/review/the-act-of-killing-100235).

And Rotten Tomatoes gave it a 93%. Wait, no. That was for Grizzly Man again.

Rotten Tomatoes gave it a 95%, actually.

Come watch ?.

Keymaster

Glad that you guys are doing this. I was in Hong Kong last week and went to a cinema night at a local club and was lamenting the absence of something like this in Chengdu. Is there a schedule of movies that you plan to screen later this month?

Participant

We’ll put the schedule up soon. I have a file I tried to attach that is the poster we’re using this month, but the file size was too big apparently and computer-prowessed I am not.

Participant

Basically, the genre schedule is as follows: Sunday = Hollywood Hangover, Monday = Game of Thrones, Tuesday = documentaries, Wednesday = Chinese Alternative.

Wednesday night at 7:30 we’ll be showing UFO in Her Eyes.

From the wiki: “Premiered at Toronto Film Festival, UFO In Her Eyes is a cinematic adaptation of her most recent novel of the same title. The film stars Shi Ke and Udo Kier and is a political metaphor recounted through the phantasmagoric transformation that befalls a small Chinese village after an alleged UFO sighting. Inspired by Soviet cinema, Xiaolu Guo dedicated this film to Soy Cuba, a 1964 Soviet-Cuban film directed by Mikhail Kalatozov. The movie’s score is composed by the SomaliCanadian musician Mocky and produced by German-Turkish filmmaker Fatih Akin. It received the Public Award at Milan 3-Continental Film Festival 2013.

Keymaster

We’ll put the schedule up soon. I have a file I tried to attach that is the poster we’re using this month, but the file size was too big apparently and computer-prowessed I am not.

Send me any images you’re having a problem with and I can help you add them here: [email protected]

edit: received your email, added the poster to the original post above. Looks good!

Participant

tonight’s movie will start a little early: 7pm

a mainland Chinese gem especially for the people interested in the changes that capitalism brought to the Chinese country side and are being implemented by not too well informed leaders. a subtle movie full of hidden jokes and probably hard to understand for people NOT living in china. there is only one foreign actor in the film (Udo Kier playing an American). him being a foreigner is only important for several village leaders pushing forth their own agenda. not an unfamiliar feeling among long stayers here in Chengdu. enjoy this light (but a tiny long), at times absurd political satire set in a beautiful environment and some great cinematography

Participant

this looks sweet

Participant

For the week of Monday, April 20th, the Chengdu film club will be screening (at Machu Picchu 2):

Tuesday (21st), Documentaries: Whores’ Glory

Wednesday (22nd), Chinese Alternative: Here, Then (此处与彼处)

Sunday (26th), Hollywood Hangover: The Grand Budapest Hotel

ALL FILMS BEGIN AT 7:30 P.M. ON THE DATES SHOWN UNLESS OTHERWISE MENTIONED.

Whores’ Glory

…is a 2011 documentary by Michael Glawogger. It shows the life of prostitutes from three different cultures: Thailand, Bangladesh and Mexico. There is nudity but the tone is not exploitative. Not exactly “tastefully done”, but nothing that will offend your senses either. Very well-done documentary that doesn’t get much play due to the sensitive subject matter.

—89% on Rotten Tomatoes (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/whores_glory_2011/)

—Venice Film Festival 2011: Orizzonti Special Jury Prize and Austrian Film Awards 2012 for Best Documentary and Best Cinematography.

Here, Then (此处与彼处)

…is a film set in a remote Chinese village where an entire lost generation of youngsters each are waiting patiently for their fate to roll around the corner and send them in the right direction. In other words, the majority of the human race, in a Chinese nutshell.

—4/5 stars on Cine-vue (http://www.cine-vue.com/2013/06/dvd-review-here-then.html)

—Best International Film at the 2013 Edinburgh International Film Festival.

The Grand Budapest Hotel

…is Wes Anderson at it again with his mob of star actors who follow him around everywhere he goes, beating people up with bats. This time around its the adventures of Gustave H, a legendary concierge at a famous European hotel between the wars, and Zero Moustafa, the lobby boy who becomes his most trusted friend. The story involves the theft and recovery of a priceless Renaissance painting and the battle for an enormous family fortune. Much more entertaining than most of Anderson’s stuff (coming from a guy who moderately to severely dislikes most of Anderson’s stuff).

—92% on Rotten Tomatoes (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_grand_budapest_hotel/)

—4/4 stars on RogerEbert.com (http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/the-grand-budapest-hotel-2014)

PRO BONO POPCORN FOR ALL EVENTS

NIGHTLY DRINK SPECIALS FOR ALL EVENTS

LOCALS TO COMPLIMENT YOU GRATUITOUSLY ON YOUR CHINESE LANGUAGE PROFICIENCY FOR ALL EVENTS (INQUIRE WITHIN)

Keymaster

Is there anywhere that we can see a schedule for upcoming movies?

Participant

no, there wasn’t until now. still the monday, tuesday and wednesday are going strong

tonight, wednesday is alternative chinese movie night (before game night starts….)

we have been doing it for more than 2 months now and the people who come really enjoy it! besides being great movies , you can actually get a good insight on what topics chinese people deal with in daily life. today wednesday 7.30 we will show KEKEXILI mountain patrol.. a group of volunteers (not really volunteers, they just did not get paid for a long while) are hunting for outlawed poachers of the tibetan antelope. expect from this true story a lot of tibetan nature shots and learn something about what local people there have to deal with. and some AK47 action too!

ask for free popcorn

Participant

I’ll come check that out!

Participant

just to remind you: movies start at 7.30pm!

Participant

Hey, is this still going on? Anyone know a more updated schedule of upcoming movies?

Thanks!

Keymaster

Hey, is this still going on? Anyone know a more updated schedule of upcoming movies? Thanks!

This is definitely still going on, I’m not sure if the movies are announced far ahead of time or not. I would also love to see a list of what’s coming up this month.

Participant

Any idea what’s playing tonight?

Participant

Any idea if there is an “alternative Chinese” movie playing tonight before Games Night?

Keymaster

Any idea if there is an “alternative Chinese” movie playing tonight before Games Night?

Last week there was no movie. Since there has been no announcement, I would assume that this week there will also be no movie.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • The forum ‘In Chengdu’ is closed to new topics and replies.