Chengu Air Dirtier than Beijing's in January

HomeForumsIn ChengduChengu Air Dirtier than Beijing's in January

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Participant

During most of January, I recorded the daily AQI (Air Quality Index) (PM 2.5) for Chengdu & Beijing from the website AQICN.org.

Unfortunately, Chengdu’s air  pollution was much worse than Beijing’s during January, see below:

JANUARY 2016 – CHENGDU AIR vs BEIJING AIR (AQI)(PM 2.5) Daily AQI (PM 2.5) – measured once per day*

LOWER NUMBER = CLEANER AIR                                               

Chengdu daily AQI (average) = 165 (UNHEALTHY)

Beijing daily AQI (average) = 87 (MODERATE)

*Data obtained from the website AQICN.org (not my site)

Participant

Being basically in a Valley which prevents great deal wind doesn’t help and is actually the main cause…

Keymaster

Well, this is depressing.

Participant

Not surprised. Beijing’s readings have higher peaks but in Chengdu we seldom have good air. Put together some average numbers for last year based on the US embassies readings in Chengdu and Beijing. Only did the first three months though. Based on the hourly readings. So Chengdu’s year average value is much lower… Perhaps winters are worse here than in Beijing, but summers are better maybe.

Average readings

Participant

Yeah, this isn’t surprising to me at all.. in past years it was the same – Chengdu a terrible average but not often extremely high or low, Beijing often extremely high or low – but over the course of years past, almost the same average.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘In Chengdu’ is closed to new topics and replies.