Chess in Chengdu

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionChess in Chengdu

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi,

I’ll be in Chengdu for 2 months and I was wondering if anyone knows about any local chess centers or clubs. Any information is appreciated!

mah9122

Participant

Never seen international chess here in 3 years. Chinese seem not to play them at all, they have their own (not to mention several other games like Go)

Keymaster

Yeah, international chess here is pretty rare, likely in part due to the popularity of Chinese chess (you see people playing that everywhere).

There are international chess clubs, but you likely will not be able to get by with just English. Here are some links:

Participant

Hi, I’ll be in Chengdu for 2 months and I was wondering if anyone knows about any local chess centers or clubs. Any information is appreciated! mah9122

There are Chess training schools that teach all age group on how to play and hold tournaments within.

Are you looking just to play to keep your skills fresh? I’d be up for casual chess match over cold ones if interested!

Keymaster

There are Chess training schools that teach all age group on how to play and hold tournaments within. Are you looking just to play to keep your skills fresh? I’d be up for casual chess match over cold ones if interested!

I would be down for this also. I’m a casual player who hasn’t played much in a few years.

Participant

There are Chess training schools that teach all age group on how to play and hold tournaments within. Are you looking just to play to keep your skills fresh? I’d be up for casual chess match over cold ones if interested!

I would be down for this also. I’m a casual player who hasn’t played much in a few years.

let’s make it happen then 🙂 will post time ideas here soon.

ALSO, fun perhaps dojo game feature idea here: http://www.webtender.com/handbook/games/beerchess.game

Participant

Officially im 1300-1400 Ranking in Chess. Poss 1200. But i tied a GM in a simul and tied a master at a starbux back home. I beat someone over 2000 at a starbux before and many over 1700 in rank games. Havent played chess in years, gets boring if playing 2+ hours.

Keymaster

let’s make it happen then :) will post time ideas here soon. ALSO, fun perhaps dojo game feature idea here: http://www.webtender.com/handbook/games/beerchess.game

That’s a good idea. It would be fun to get one of those oversized chess sets and play outside with some wacky rules.

Officially im 1300-1400 Ranking in Chess. Poss 1200. But i tied a GM in a simul and tied a master at a starbux back home. I beat someone over 2000 at a starbux before and many over 1700 in rank games. Havent played chess in years, gets boring if playing 2+ hours.

You tied a grandmaster? That’s insane. That is really, really high level chess. I would be interested in getting beat by you sometime.

Participant

Just had checked my official ranking.. Its under 1200, kinda funky really.

Yea i tied a GM in college at a simul (he was playing 25 people).

Havent played chess in years. Just ‘life’ has been busy and cant play it as much as i like to. Def not as good as i use to be.

http://chesstempo.com/

Great site to improve chess skills/tactics.

Keymaster

Just had checked my official ranking.. Its under 1200, kinda funky really. Yea i tied a GM in college at a simul (he was playing 25 people). Havent played chess in years. Just ‘life’ has been busy and cant play it as much as i like to. Def not as good as i use to be. http://chesstempo.com/ Great site to improve chess skills/tactics.

I hear you. I will check out that website. Recently I checked out this TV show called The Tim Ferriss Experiment, where Tim Ferriss (author) attempts to acquire new skills really quickly. One one episode which I watched, he does Brazilian jiu-jitsu with Josh Waitzkin, the chess prodigy kid that they based Finding Bobby Fisher on (and also the first BJJ black belt under Marcelo Garcia). You should check it out, the episode is not only about learning BJJ but about relating mechanics of chess strategy to jiu-jitsu and vice-versa. Also featured in the episode is Maurice Ashley, the first African-American chess grandmaster, who they film playing chess hustlers in Washington Square Park, NYC.

Participant

Will check it out. Thanx Charlie.

Participant

I enjoy playing chess and Go (围棋) …. would be interested in meeting up for a game or two.

Feel free to add me on WeChat .. gaofei122076

-Godfrey

Participant

Maybe overdue here but i’m going to try:

There is an awesome game night that happens at Machu every Wednesday, I’m thinking it may be a good night to incorporate chess for those who are waiting for their turn or just want to chill.

I will be there next Wednesday to check out the game night & for a round of Chess if anyone is game.

PM me and I’ll share my WeChat

Keymaster

Maybe overdue here but i’m going to try:

There is an awesome game night that happens at Machu every Wednesday, I’m thinking it may be a good night to incorporate chess for those who are waiting for their turn or just want to chill.

I will be there next Wednesday to check out the game night & for a round of Chess if anyone is game.

PM me and I’ll share my WeChat

I like this idea. I have seen people playing chess at Machu at our game night before, the most recent time was actually the poster above you (Gaofei). I think Machu Picchu has a chess set there. If not, I think they will be up for getting one or two to keep there permanently.

Keymaster

Any chess players in Chengdu? The last few weeks we have been bringing a chess set to our weekly game night at Machu Picchu on Wednesday nights at 9pm. If you play chess in Chengdu and are looking for others to play with, post here or join us on Wednesdays. It is much more of a casual atmosphere than competitive.

Participant

Hi, I just arrived here a few weeks ago but i’d be interested in playing chess! I won’t be able to come on Wednesday nights because i live outside the city centre and I have work Thursday mornings but I’m free on the weekends if anybody is up for it.

Keymaster

Hi, I just arrived here a few weeks ago but i’d be interested in playing chess! I won’t be able to come on Wednesday nights because i live outside the city centre and I have work Thursday mornings but I’m free on the weekends if anybody is up for it.

We have a Chengdu Gaming WeChat group with a few chess players. Add me on WeChat and I will invite you to the group. My WeChat is justcharlie.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.