China Book Recommendations

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionChina Book Recommendations

• This topic has 62 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Avatar photoDan.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

A few weeks ago I bought the Kindle version of Why China Will Never Rule the World after seeing this Youtube clip featuring the author speaking (requires VPN obviously or else below will appear blank):

The book is more of a narrative which isn’t what I expected, but it’s well written, entertaining and truthful. Most of his China experience is in Taiwan but he’s clearly very knowledgeable about China and it’s history. I’ve never saved this many highlights in an eBook before – literally dozens of times I’ve read about him describe situations that I’ve witnessed countless times. Worth checking out.

Anyone else have any China related books that they’re reading or can recommend?

Participant

i think tory’s view was some what biased albeit there were some observations did support his opinions. overall, it is still a book worth reading.

Participant

i think tory’s view was some what biased albeit there were some observations did support his opinions. overall, it is still a book worth reading.

Participant

The book i have read and think is good is written by Lin Yu Tang.

My Country and My People.

But there book i have just read now is written by 李泽厚(Li Zhe Hou). Name of book is 中国古代思想史论(History of Thought in Ancient China)。I don’t think this book have English version.

Because if talking about China must go back to it’s something deeper to find out whole image about this country and culture inside. not just simply say good or bad.

But there have another book i have read now is 克里希那穆提传(J.Krishnamurti:A Biography). This is not book about China it’s about all mankind, sometimes i feel the problem is not about China or Chinese, it’s about all human. 克里希那穆提 have explain much more about everything.

I recommend this three books

Participant

The book i have read and think is good is written by Lin Yu Tang.

My Country and My People.

But there book i have just read now is written by 李泽厚(Li Zhe Hou). Name of book is 中国古代思想史论(History of Thought in Ancient China)。I don’t think this book have English version.

Because if talking about China must go back to it’s something deeper to find out whole image about this country and culture inside. not just simply say good or bad.

But there have another book i have read now is 克里希那穆提传(J.Krishnamurti:A Biography). This is not book about China it’s about all mankind, sometimes i feel the problem is not about China or Chinese, it’s about all human. 克里希那穆提 have explain much more about everything.

I recommend this three books

Hmmm, what about the guitar background?

Did somebody tell him that would enhance sales?

Hmmm, what about the guitar background?

Did somebody tell him that would enhance sales?

Participant

You gotta read Wild Swans.

Participant

You gotta read Wild Swans.

I’m looking for a copy of ‘The Private Life Of Chairman Mao’ if anyone either has it, or knows where I might find one in Chengdu.

I’m looking for a copy of ‘The Private Life Of Chairman Mao’ if anyone either has it, or knows where I might find one in Chengdu.

I love Jim Rogers’ books. He is awesome.

He travelled around the world twice, literally!!! first time on a motorbike and the second time with a SPECIAL sports car.

I love “Capitalist Adventure” “A gift to my Children” and in the books there are some unique views about China.

And Jim Rogers wrote “A Bull in China”, i haven’t read this one but anyway it is kind of popular. and Jim is really a excellent investor!

I love Jim Rogers’ books. He is awesome.

He travelled around the world twice, literally!!! first time on a motorbike and the second time with a SPECIAL sports car.

I love “Capitalist Adventure” “A gift to my Children” and in the books there are some unique views about China.

And Jim Rogers wrote “A Bull in China”, i haven’t read this one but anyway it is kind of popular. and Jim is really a excellent investor!

Participant

It’s a little old (and by a little I mean 25 years) but Paul Theroux’s ‘Riding the Iron Rooster’ is a fantastic read. A few years after reform and opening in the 80’s he takes trains all around Eastern Europe and China (inc Xinjiang and Tibet), talking to people about the changes that have happened, their experiences in the Cultural Revolution etc. It’s very candid, awesome descriptions, really captures China in an amazing period in history.. I also have it sitting at home so if anyone wants to borrow it…

Participant

It’s a little old (and by a little I mean 25 years) but Paul Theroux’s ‘Riding the Iron Rooster’ is a fantastic read. A few years after reform and opening in the 80’s he takes trains all around Eastern Europe and China (inc Xinjiang and Tibet), talking to people about the changes that have happened, their experiences in the Cultural Revolution etc. It’s very candid, awesome descriptions, really captures China in an amazing period in history.. I also have it sitting at home so if anyone wants to borrow it…

Keymaster
    Quote:
    love Jim Rogers’ books. He is awesome.

Adventure Capitalist and Investment Biker, both great books that I have here in Chengdu. I’m a Jim Roger fan also.

Quote:
    Paul Theroux’s ‘Riding the Iron Rooster’ is a fantastic read

That’s on my reading list for sure. Everyone says it’s a must-read classic.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    love Jim Rogers’ books. He is awesome.

Adventure Capitalist and Investment Biker, both great books that I have here in Chengdu. I’m a Jim Roger fan also.

Quote:
    Paul Theroux’s ‘Riding the Iron Rooster’ is a fantastic read

That’s on my reading list for sure. Everyone says it’s a must-read classic.

Hey Charlie

Yes ..adventure capitalist is awesome.. i havent read the investment biker.. but i heard it is really good.

I met Jim Rogers in chengdu..but just for 2 hours and just talked with him for a few minutes… He was here in the year 2010…

He brought his family here to visit the panda base cuz they wanna see the giant pandas and he likes chengdu.

Hey Charlie

Yes ..adventure capitalist is awesome.. i havent read the investment biker.. but i heard it is really good.

I met Jim Rogers in chengdu..but just for 2 hours and just talked with him for a few minutes… He was here in the year 2010…

He brought his family here to visit the panda base cuz they wanna see the giant pandas and he likes chengdu.

Keymaster
    Quote:

Where did you meet him? I didn’t know that he came to Chengdu in 2010.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 63 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.