China Book Recommendations

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionChina Book Recommendations

• This topic has 62 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Avatar photoDan.
Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    I met Jim Rogers in chengdu..but just for 2 hours and just talked with him for a few minutes… He was here in the year 2010…

Where did you meet him? I didn’t know that he came to Chengdu in 2010.

Becoming China’s Bitch: And Nine More Catastrophes We Must Avoid Right Now

I would read this one, if only for the great title.

Keymaster
    Quote:

Hahahah.. that title is some powerful bait. I think it’s just that though.

Civilizations which have dominated in previous centuries (England, America) have had economies, cultures, and militaries which have been unstoppable forces in their time. China, like Russia or Japan, who were called “the next superpowers” in previous decades, just does not have that combination. The author will sell a ton of books based on the title alone though.

Keymaster
    Quote:

Hahahah.. that title is some powerful bait. I think it’s just that though.

Civilizations which have dominated in previous centuries (England, America) have had economies, cultures, and militaries which have been unstoppable forces in their time. China, like Russia or Japan, who were called “the next superpowers” in previous decades, just does not have that combination. The author will sell a ton of books based on the title alone though.

I won’t be bothered reading it either. But it is the same with the book about “China not ruling the world”.

First of all is not mainstream opinion that China will rule the world. Not in the media and not in the scientific community.

So the author uses the tactic of inventing a consensus that doesnt exist and then presenting the alledged contrarian position.

I have to say I was also put off by the Kindle quotes from this book on Amazon.

That guy comes across as a very bitter person and the extensive and highly critical two star reviews didn’t help either to raise my interest.

I won’t be bothered reading it either. But it is the same with the book about “China not ruling the world”.

First of all is not mainstream opinion that China will rule the world. Not in the media and not in the scientific community.

So the author uses the tactic of inventing a consensus that doesnt exist and then presenting the alledged contrarian position.

I have to say I was also put off by the Kindle quotes from this book on Amazon.

That guy comes across as a very bitter person and the extensive and highly critical two star reviews didn’t help either to raise my interest.

Keymaster
    Quote:

I think there’s a difference – “China won’t rule the world” is an exaggeration but there is a mainstream fear of China rising to ever-greater heights. “Become China’s bitch”, however, takes the hyperbole to another level. Both are controversial titles that draw curious readers in, but a major difference for me is that the author of the former has been in Taiwan for 12+ years, speaks Chinese and understands Chinese culture, whereas the author of the latter is Wall Street businessman who lives in Connecticut. His biography literally has no mention of China which makes me believe that he’s capitalizing on “China’s rise” which is obviously a trendy and highly salable subject matter. I assume that his book is very different as well – “Why China Won’t Rule the World” is a travel narrative that aims to identify and explain “the texture of China’s social fabric” – it’s basically a first-hand, on the ground account. Dramatically different from a Wall Street armchair perspective on China. Personally I’m more interested in hearing the opinion of someone who’s been in the thick of it than a financial expert muse on the facts and figures of China’s rise from an armchair 8,000 miles away. Both are interesting though and I’m sure that he has important points to make, albeit from a different, further-removed perspective.

Quote:

It’s natural that someone assuming such a controversial position will attract ire, but most of the reviews are positive (4 star average). He does come off as bitter about China, especially in that Youtube clip (by saying things like “I believe China doesn’t have anything to teach to anyone”) so I can’t argue with that. I picked the book up to try and objectively judge the validity of his claims and see how much they aligned with my own. What gives the book meaning in my opinion is that his voice is contrary to a chorus of popular belief that China is only headed for incredible things. Both of these authors are capitalizing on that.

I’m glad you posted that book though, never thought I’d see an MBA authoring “Becoming China’s Bitch”, hahaha.

Keymaster
    Quote:

I think there’s a difference – “China won’t rule the world” is an exaggeration but there is a mainstream fear of China rising to ever-greater heights. “Become China’s bitch”, however, takes the hyperbole to another level. Both are controversial titles that draw curious readers in, but a major difference for me is that the author of the former has been in Taiwan for 12+ years, speaks Chinese and understands Chinese culture, whereas the author of the latter is Wall Street businessman who lives in Connecticut. His biography literally has no mention of China which makes me believe that he’s capitalizing on “China’s rise” which is obviously a trendy and highly salable subject matter. I assume that his book is very different as well – “Why China Won’t Rule the World” is a travel narrative that aims to identify and explain “the texture of China’s social fabric” – it’s basically a first-hand, on the ground account. Dramatically different from a Wall Street armchair perspective on China. Personally I’m more interested in hearing the opinion of someone who’s been in the thick of it than a financial expert muse on the facts and figures of China’s rise from an armchair 8,000 miles away. Both are interesting though and I’m sure that he has important points to make, albeit from a different, further-removed perspective.

Quote:

It’s natural that someone assuming such a controversial position will attract ire, but most of the reviews are positive (4 star average). He does come off as bitter about China, especially in that Youtube clip (by saying things like “I believe China doesn’t have anything to teach to anyone”) so I can’t argue with that. I picked the book up to try and objectively judge the validity of his claims and see how much they aligned with my own. What gives the book meaning in my opinion is that his voice is contrary to a chorus of popular belief that China is only headed for incredible things. Both of these authors are capitalizing on that.

I’m glad you posted that book though, never thought I’d see an MBA authoring “Becoming China’s Bitch”, hahaha.

Quote:
    He does come off as bitter about China, especially in that Youtube clip

Watching him amid the distraction of over-dubbed guitar (why!?), I felt two things… Firstly he strikes me as a guy who has been embittered on a personal level by his experiences in China, and that makes me curious about his personal life, and what brought him to Asia in the first place. Not because I particularly give a damn, but as conjecture to his stance.

Secondly, and perhaps as a result of my first thought, he makes for me some very on point & valid statements about the lay of the land. His brief assertion to hierarchy is something I see every day, maligning the potential progresses that could be made within China as a whole.

Just my two cents.

Quote:
    He does come off as bitter about China, especially in that Youtube clip

Watching him amid the distraction of over-dubbed guitar (why!?), I felt two things… Firstly he strikes me as a guy who has been embittered on a personal level by his experiences in China, and that makes me curious about his personal life, and what brought him to Asia in the first place. Not because I particularly give a damn, but as conjecture to his stance.

Secondly, and perhaps as a result of my first thought, he makes for me some very on point & valid statements about the lay of the land. His brief assertion to hierarchy is something I see every day, maligning the potential progresses that could be made within China as a whole.

Just my two cents.

Participant

Finally I begain to smiling about this topic.

Until now I began to find out it’s interesting.

I don’t want to say anything I just want watch you guys opoining.

Participant

Finally I begain to smiling about this topic.

Until now I began to find out it’s interesting.

I don’t want to say anything I just want watch you guys opoining.

Well I wouldnt really want to opinionate about a book I haven’t read. I just wanted to give an insight for the reasons why I wouldnt even consider reading it. That would be:

The poor presentation by the author, the negative reviews dealing with the content of the book, and this quote which I find not only offensive but it also shows the author’s extremely narrow perspective:

“Unless it attempts to do so by force, China is never going to shape the world. It is just another backward, bitter, idiosyncratic, xenophobic, despotic, intellectually impoverished nation-state; one effectively devoid of tact, charm, grace, creativity, or emotional intelligence, and to that end, it is definitely not unique.”

It’s like travelling to the Appalachians then concluding: “Hey American are nothing but religious fanatics and meth abusing racist rednecks with mountain dew teeth”

Well I wouldnt really want to opinionate about a book I haven’t read. I just wanted to give an insight for the reasons why I wouldnt even consider reading it. That would be:

The poor presentation by the author, the negative reviews dealing with the content of the book, and this quote which I find not only offensive but it also shows the author’s extremely narrow perspective:

“Unless it attempts to do so by force, China is never going to shape the world. It is just another backward, bitter, idiosyncratic, xenophobic, despotic, intellectually impoverished nation-state; one effectively devoid of tact, charm, grace, creativity, or emotional intelligence, and to that end, it is definitely not unique.”

It’s like travelling to the Appalachians then concluding: “Hey American are nothing but religious fanatics and meth abusing racist rednecks with mountain dew teeth”

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Watching him amid the distraction of over-dubbed guitar (why!?)

Hahahah, I know, I suppose it’s to give the video more of an air of sophistication. He is really knowledgeable about China though, I literally have 60+ highlighted passages in his book which is more than any ebook I’ve read so far.

A few of those:

“Chinese people have neat little answers ready for whenever foreign countries are mention. This partly stems from their penchant for slogans, fits in neatly with not having to think, and, if you will allow me to labour the point, owes an enormous amount to a near total lack of knowledge pertaining to the outside world”

“The hard sleeper compartments on the train contained six bunks and were packed with couples, families, babies, wandering toddlers, and men who would slurp instant noodles, down cups of baijiu, and then head to the passageway to smoke and spit on the floor. People talked into their phones as if they were on the Strofoam-cup-and-string system. The floor was littered with packaging and peanut shells and women hung their bras and panties from bars above the windows. Many dozed, more talked, and I saw a man on a middle bunk with his hand jammed between a woman’s legs. No one looked out the window for longer than an instant and nobody read”

“In 1979, Kunming acted in another military capacity: it was a major base of operations for the invasion of Vietnam, a punitive base of operations for the invasion of Vietnam, a punitive action arising from that country’s courting of the Soviet Union, its expulsion of half a million Chinese “capitalists,” and its war with Cambodia. With the stated aim of “teaching the Vietnamese a lesson,” 80,000 PLA troops poured over the border. Seventeen days later, 20,000 of them were dead. They promptly withdrew and labelled the incursion “a great success,” one which led directly to the massive military modernization efforts underway today”

“Confucianism does not lend itself to co-operation and the hierarchy it calls for must be continually and ruthlessly maintained. Obedience is all. Benevolence is a sure sign of weakness. Anyone caught criticizing the Chongqing government was executed or given life in jail” (this is a reference to period when the Nationalists occupied Chongqing)

Quote:

Maybe you’re right, although he does travel and talk about all regions of China in the book, including Chengdu. He speaks Chinese and is knowledgeable on Chinese history and culture so you can’t really blame his cynicism on ignorance. Perhaps he’s just a bitter person, who knows. It’s good to take this along with books that argue the counter-points to get perspective and make up your own mind. Just my $0.02

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Watching him amid the distraction of over-dubbed guitar (why!?)

Hahahah, I know, I suppose it’s to give the video more of an air of sophistication. He is really knowledgeable about China though, I literally have 60+ highlighted passages in his book which is more than any ebook I’ve read so far.

A few of those:

“Chinese people have neat little answers ready for whenever foreign countries are mention. This partly stems from their penchant for slogans, fits in neatly with not having to think, and, if you will allow me to labour the point, owes an enormous amount to a near total lack of knowledge pertaining to the outside world”

“The hard sleeper compartments on the train contained six bunks and were packed with couples, families, babies, wandering toddlers, and men who would slurp instant noodles, down cups of baijiu, and then head to the passageway to smoke and spit on the floor. People talked into their phones as if they were on the Strofoam-cup-and-string system. The floor was littered with packaging and peanut shells and women hung their bras and panties from bars above the windows. Many dozed, more talked, and I saw a man on a middle bunk with his hand jammed between a woman’s legs. No one looked out the window for longer than an instant and nobody read”

“In 1979, Kunming acted in another military capacity: it was a major base of operations for the invasion of Vietnam, a punitive base of operations for the invasion of Vietnam, a punitive action arising from that country’s courting of the Soviet Union, its expulsion of half a million Chinese “capitalists,” and its war with Cambodia. With the stated aim of “teaching the Vietnamese a lesson,” 80,000 PLA troops poured over the border. Seventeen days later, 20,000 of them were dead. They promptly withdrew and labelled the incursion “a great success,” one which led directly to the massive military modernization efforts underway today”

“Confucianism does not lend itself to co-operation and the hierarchy it calls for must be continually and ruthlessly maintained. Obedience is all. Benevolence is a sure sign of weakness. Anyone caught criticizing the Chongqing government was executed or given life in jail” (this is a reference to period when the Nationalists occupied Chongqing)

Quote:

Maybe you’re right, although he does travel and talk about all regions of China in the book, including Chengdu. He speaks Chinese and is knowledgeable on Chinese history and culture so you can’t really blame his cynicism on ignorance. Perhaps he’s just a bitter person, who knows. It’s good to take this along with books that argue the counter-points to get perspective and make up your own mind. Just my $0.02

Participant

It’s seems that author totally ignored me, he think I was just not exist. I forgive him because he don’t know me.

Now you should understand you should learn More Chinese, so you can have SOME Chinese friends. 🙂

Participant

It’s seems that author totally ignored me, he think I was just not exist. I forgive him because he don’t know me.

Now you should understand you should learn More Chinese, so you can have SOME Chinese friends. 🙂

Participant

“The Coming Collapse of China” – Gordon Chang. Kinda funny to read these days cos he missed on pretty much every prediction (“by 2010…”etc. etc.). Another alarmist, attention-grabbing title, but low on insight or accuracy.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.