Chlorine in the water…

HomeForumsIn ChengduChlorine in the water…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Anyone else smell super strong chlorine in the water? Turning on a hot shower, immediately, I can smell the chlorine. Apparently there is too much chlorine in Chengdu water city-wide, or at least across most of the city…

Keymaster

Anyone else smell super strong chlorine in the water? Turning on a hot shower, immediately, I can smell the chlorine. Apparently there is too much chlorine in Chengdu water city-wide, or at least across most of the city…

I haven’t noticed this from the shower or normal taps but there’s a drinking water dispenser in my office (not the bottled type) which really smells like chlorine. It should be easy to check chlorine levels in drinking water…

Participant

It’s fine in my flat. Rick, you’ve got an experiment to do this afternoon.
    http://www.who.int/water_sanitation_health/publications/2011/tn11_chlorine_levels_en.pdf

Participant

I’ll hop down to xiao mai bu and pick up a DPD test kit immediately! 😛

But really, when my wife had showered in the evening it was *REALLY* strong, like she called me over, said, “open the shower door, smell it” — not telling me what it was, I smelled, immediately bam, “chlorine”.. but late at night when I showered it was much less intense. Maybe it was a big burst of chlorine during a specific timeframe for some areas of town or something…

Participant

I thought I smelt it this morning in the shower. But if it was there it wasn’t very strong. But I use bleach quite a lot so my senses might have been dulled a bit.

I often smell chlorine when taking a shower. The same smell from boiling tap water prompted me to purchase a cheap phillips water filter to connect to the kitchen tap. Drinking chlorinated water can’t be good for you.

Keymaster

The same smell from boiling tap water prompted me to purchase a cheap phillips water filter to connect to the kitchen tap.

Have a link? Do you drink from that instead of bottled water now?

Have a link? Do you drink from that instead of bottled water now?

This is the one that we have, http://item.jd.com/732358.html. You can probably get a better deal on taobao though.

I have drunk from it on occasions when the bottled water runs out. We mainly use it when we wash fruit and veg, make soup, boil pasta etc.

Participant

Yeah I agree it’s important to get a water purifier, if not just as a safety precaution.. I use one of these:
    http://item.jd.com/647735.html

We’re happy with it, drink from it, but typically only use it for liquid we intend to consume in quantity because it does have less water pressure than the normal tap.. so soups, baby bottle, drinking bottles, etc – we just use normal tap water to wash veg or for boiling pasta.. although if it starts to smell chloriney again that will definitely change.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘In Chengdu’ is closed to new topics and replies.