Wanting to Come to Chengdu to Teach English

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionWanting to Come to Chengdu to Teach English

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I am a male who is looking to travel to China and teach English asap. I do not have any degrees or certificates. But I am English Native. Very fluent in English. Very outgoing and energetic. I was wondering if anyone knew of any schools that would consider hiring me. Also, are there any schools that will pay for my travels to China? Even after contract is signed and a agreement is worked out for me to pay the money back?

Participant

you’ll encounter the problem that to teach legally you need to have a foreign expert certificate which requires a degree, some schools will allow you to teach there but it will be very hard for you to get the correct visa type……

Participant

As long a you are white you should have no problem getting a job in Chengdu. Now the problem will be the fact the you don’t have a degree so you will have to teach on a tourist or business visa. You should at least get a tefl certificate.

Participant

My blog post might be of little or no help but worth a read if your looking for some advice when finding a job in China:

http://www.twofareast.com/blog/2016/1/28/becoming-an-esl-teacher-in-china

Keymaster

As long a you are white you should have no problem getting a job in Chengdu.

Yup, pretty much. New regulations require that only expats from native-English speaking countries are eligible to work in English teaching. If you are white and from America I do not forsee any obstacles in your path.

As far as getting a school to pay for your flight to China: you can do that, but they will want to sign a contract. And from what I’ve observed over the years (I’m not a teacher), the jobs you find here in Chengdu tend to be a lot better than those you’ll find online. So although you would have to pay for your flight up front, it might be better in the long run (if you’re planning on staying for a year or more) to get here and then start looking for jobs.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.