Destroyed Chengdu Brewery Needs Your Help

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionDestroyed Chengdu Brewery Needs Your Help

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Wang Rui, often called Geezer by his foreign friends, is a brewer from Chongqing. I’m pretty sure quite some of you know this awesome fellah from back in the early days – Xiongmao, Hemp House, Music Festivals or other great occasions. He started his first small beer workshop in Chengdu 2010 and named it “Chengdu Harvest Brewery”. After two years and lots of hard work, the brewery expended to a 200 liter capacity. In 2013, the breakthrough came when he and his wife upgraded the brewey to a 2000 liter system using equity from their family. Within craft beer circles Geezer is a pioneer. He’s a kind spirit and has always been ready to generously help others. His wisdom, humour, diligence, creativity and even sometimes his silliness has inspired all of us and many good moments were shared together.

Geezer Craft Brewer Chengdu
    Unfortunately, the journey of pursing their passion for beer has never run smooth. Apart from experiencing ups and downs in their business, they had to deal with being fined and shut down by the Food and Drug Administration. Despite all of this, they managed to overcome these challenges together. Last year, they experienced the joy of becoming parents to a baby boy and their passion for beer led them to give him the nickname 桶桶 (tǒngtong – Little Keg). In April 2015, they finally passed all the administrative formalities and were ready to devote themselves to their beer career.

2014 Chengdu Harvest Brewery Fermentation Tanks
    However, just at the very moment that they thought the frustrations of the past were behind them, a tragedy happened. On April 11th 2015, only three days after they received all of their required documentation, a fire from a nearby building burnt down and destroyed every inch of their factory as well as their hopes and dreams.

2015 Destroyed Chengdu Harvest Brewery
    2015 Destroyed Chengdu Harvest Brewery
    We, brewers and bar owners, often share the same destiny and have to weather through the tough times together. We’ve all started our businesses from nothing and have worked hard to build up our dream – with the support of many people around us. Therefore, during these hard times for Chengdu Harvest Brewery, there’s an ongoing beer promotion to help Geezer, and in turn help China’s craft beer scene along.

Phoenix Beer Gao Yan

Master Gao’s Brewery (Nanjing) is going to release a special beer called Phoenix. The Phoenix, or Fire Bird, is a symbol of burning fire and refers to the mythical bird rising from the ashes to be reborn; it is brewed using smoked malt, pepper and heavy-flavoured bitter hops.

For every 100 RMB received, you will receive a 330ml bottle of this special edition beer. The full amount of donation money will be directly transferred to Chengdu Harvest Brewery and we will not take any costs or fees out of the donation. Bars and local associations it would be appreciated if you could organize your own donation. We hope Chengdu Harvest Brewery will be reborn after the fire and, like the Fire Bird, able to fly again higher than before. At the same time, we would like to show our teamwork and unity within the Chinese Brewers’ Society. Every individual is always welcome to join this big family.

Ways of donation (you might need to seek help from your Chinese friends and all your efforts will be sincerely appreciated):

*Go to Master Gao’s WeChat shop by clicking here.

*If you’re in Chengdu, contact The Beer Nest(13730871837, [email protected] or scan the QR code below) and tell them you would like to donate for Chengdu Harvest Brewery; you can pick up the goods at their second location in the end of May.
    The Beer Nest WeChat QR Code
    Other bars or factories are encouraged to plan your own donations and we promise the same beer donation system accordingly.

Let’s unite for good beer!

Harvest Brews

Keymaster

I saw this post and was really hoping this wasn’t about Geezer. He is a top-notch guy and I am very sad to read this news.

I will donate to this and sticky this post here for a while so more people see it. Is there any way I can send money directly to Geezer using WeChat wallet?

Thank you for posting this Dieter and for doing so much to help out your compadre. This is a very upstanding thing for you to do.

Participant

The worst part is, he can’t drink away his sorrows.  This sort of situation is terrifying for any small upstart and even if you’re not a beer drinker it’s definitely one of those karmic things:  put yourself out there for someone in need!

Participant

Yeah I recall him fondly from the old Hemp House beer garden. I remember him very patiently explaining to my girlfriend the concept of craft beer, which was quite new in Chengdu at that time. Sad to hear this news from a true pioneer…

Participant

Hi Guys and Thx for the support!

Geezer is indeed a splendid guy, always up for a beer & a talk, yet dedicated as hell. I admire him getting the craft beer to such a high level (an American even told me once: “This IPA is better than what I drink in the States”), though keeping humble and share beer knowledge to anyone interested.

He’s the pioneer and (silent) driving power behind Chengdu’s Craft Beer scene, inspiring young and old. Without him, good craft beer wouldn’t be as widespread available and way less specialized beer bars would have opened in the ‘Du.

Even though encountering lots of troubles, the progress he and his team made during the last years is awesome – from experimenting at home, to the 300l (bit nasty) brewery, to last year’s huge/ professional new equipment. Still remember taking a night train with him to one of China’s first craft beer festivals in Nanjing – what a weekend!

I’ve talked to Geezer today and he prefers to keep the donations centralized by buying the special Phoenix beer. Maybe we can organize some smaller local events. The Beer Nest is willing to dedicate a couple of kegs, though preferably on location.

“It’s always a risk to try something worth doing.”

Participant

Thanks for posting. I’ll share it among my network. Please keep us informed on ways we can continue to support him in the future, too.

Participant

Geezer introduced me to a lot of times to the Harvest beer, then we drink many.

I heard his and his wife said with enthusiasm brewing process and future development plan.

From the club to the brewery, their love of beer, and hope everyone to drink more better good beer. and we love to drink their beer, the IPA.

I bought a small barrel harvest beer back to share with friends. and I said that when Harvest beer start use of bottled, i will bring it share with my father, the day will come.

Participant

May 24-26: Beijing Great Leap Brewing Tap Take over @ The Beer Nest II

Great Leap Brewing operates three brewpubs in Beijing. It makes and sells a wide range of beers at those locations, popular both with the city’s Western expatriate community and younger Chinese drinkers interested in a more sophisticated product. When it opened in 2010, it was the first microbrewery in Beijing.

Come enjoy the great Craft Beers of Beijing Great Leap Brewing to support Harvest!

On tap (until we run dry):

-East City Porter 燕麥墨啤
    -Cinnamon Rock Ale 肉桂冰糖
    -Prosperer 盛世啤酒
    -Hidden General IPA 不让舒眉IPA
    -Edmund Backhouse Session Pils 北京隐士
    -Rye Pale Ale #12 裸麦淡啤12號

All proceeds go directly to Harvest Brewing

Great Leap Brewing Tap Take Over The Beer Nest 2

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.