DunHuang 5k/half/full Marathon Race

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionDunHuang 5k/half/full Marathon Race

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hello all you runners. I’m involved in the local running scene and my friend has told me (she’s working on  translation of all pertinent info and registration method) that DunHuang will be hosting a 5k, half (21.1km) and full (42.195km) marathon October 18. Foreigners will receive free race registration for whatever event they choose. Below I’ve posted info about what the free race entry includes (some tourist site tickets included).

I am 95% sure I will be going to run the half marathon. Flights right now are about 1500RMB R/T. So if you’ve ever wanted to see this historic and beautiful area, now may be the time.

If you are wanting to train for this race or any race, let me know if you want any help to connect with local runners/clubs/events. There are group runs nearly every night in the city. And you’re welcome to train with me if you can manage 7:30/mile (4:35/km pace) or faster.

Perks include:

A. For Full Marathon or Half Marathon: Marathon Number Tag, Pin, Dunhuang Marathon Bandana (Scarf), Salt Tablets, Marathon Handbook, Armband tights, Masks, Insulation blanket, T-shirt, Timing Chip, Tickets to the attractions in the Dunhuang City (Ticket to Mogao Caves is not included), Ticket to The China Road Trip Concert
    B. For 5-Kilometer Marathon: Marathon Number Tag, Pin, Marathon Handbook, Tickets to the attractions in the Dunhuang City (Ticket to Mogao Caves is not included), Ticket to the China Road Trip Concert

Participant

This sounds awesome. DunHuang is also a beautiful, must-visit, and odd place in China. The cave is one of better preserved and shared places of historic importance I’d vouch for based on my personal experience.

How can I connect with you? Wechat?

Participant

yep, WeChat is good; my account name there is runninginchina.

-Justin

Participant

IMPORTANT UPDATE——–
    Forgot to update you all on the race coming up on Oct. 18. in DunHuang. As a foreigner, you are free to pick from the 5k, half or full marathon races. You participation in the race ensures the following provisions:

(1) Free roundtrip train tickets (Chengdu–>DunHuang–>Chengdu). You book your own tickets and are reimbursed upon arrival into DH. You need to arrive by the 17th at the latest. All races start morning of the 18th and can leave afternoon of the 18th or later. Just an FYI; no direct train so it’s ~30 hours total. (Chengdu-Lanzhou-DH most direct).

(2) Free hotel accommodations

(3)Race registration fee

(4) Tourist attraction tickets for places of interest (except Mogao Caves)

(5) Free admission to China Silk Road Music Ceremony

It’s a great opportunity to see this fascinating, historical site and make it a little running vacation, if you’re into that type of thing…but then again, anyone can wing a 5k!

You must respond to me via WeChat by THIS THURSDAY as I will need to collect your ID info/etc. for race registration…sorry for the short notice. Currently there are a few foreigners including myself signing up for this and several of my local friends are going, too. Find me on WeChat at ‘runninginchina’.

-Justin

Participant

Dang. If I was still in China, I’d be all over this.

Participant

I’d like to join, but only if you can promise running in and out of the caves themselves. I really need the full effect. I can’t concentrate on my running unless there are ancient carvings going past me to certify my ego as a runner. If this cannot be guaranteed, then I will not be participating.

Participant

Gosh, you drive a hard bargain, but yes, if you come, I can guarantee you that you, in your own solo race, can likely bypass a few guards and railings and run thru some caves on your time trial which I will, indeed, personally time your result…the catch is that you can’t, however, get caught before you get to the finish line or else you don’t get your name in the DunHuang Daily Times nor a finisher’s medal.

If you’re not willing to endure the 60-hr R/T train or 10-hr R/T flight (of which the difference between hard sleeper train fare (covered by race director) and airfare you shall assume yourself), you need not apply to this race. However, you will be aptly rewarded for your daredevil, first-ever feat of racing thru the Caves. Best of luck and hope to see you in the desert.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.