EARTHQUAKE!!!!

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionEARTHQUAKE!!!!

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 123 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    I hope everyone is safe and in the case of this are we supposed to go outside as I don’t know earthquake protocol?

I think that’s just Chinese custom, you don’t have to do anything. As soon as this happened my girlfriend said we should go outside, but if the building is going to collapse I don’t want to die in a stairwell. The 2008 earthquake was much more violent than this.

Participant

Almost as strong as the one happened in 2008, but not as long as that one. The government said that it was only 5 degree. Absolutely bull shit. It was from Ya An. Even Ching Qing felt it very strong! Good luck for people who live above the 20th floor.

Participant

First thing my wife said was go outside, I don’t understand this thinking really. Go outside so you can be hit my a random piece of debris falling from a building. Death by falling plant pot is never cool. Rather stay inside and find a secure place where stuff can’t fall on me, well except the building.

Participant
    Quote:
    in the case of this are we supposed to go outside as I don’t know earthquake protocol?

If you’re in a large earthquake and feel like the building you’re in is unsafe, then yeah, go outside. If buildings actually start falling apart, or even if you just feel super scared, then try to get to the nearest large open space, like a park or school. Even if it doesn’t feel that bad, make sure you don’t stand under any windows as the glass can fall out even with just a little bit of shaking.

At the very least, open your front door so that if the quake gets bigger you won’t get trapped inside…

With newer buildings(?), you should be pretty safe though. I didn’t have anything come off the wall or fall over at my place.

Participant

I’ve never been in a high rise building during an earthquake and have never been in a strong one at all. Didn’t have much of a clue what to do other than stay away from the windows. I just read the recommendations for what to do based on looking at what people who have survived have done. http://www.earthquakecountry.info/dropcoverholdon/ Mostly it says to get down on the floor, under something like a table (away from exterior wall), and protect your head and neck. This image brought to mind something like being in a position to kiss your ass goodbye, but I don’t think that was the intent 🙂 I thought the shaking was scary. I guess you get used to it.

Quote:
    If you’re in a large earthquake and feel like the building you’re in is unsafe, then yeah, go outside.

Worst advice ever!

Participant

Living in Indonesia for 19+ years, I’ve experienced quite a lot of earthquakes, floods, volcanoes, tsunamis, storms, you name it, we got it.

But never have I experienced an earthquake while living in 22nd floor like just as now. going down 22 flights of stairs?

e65.gif

Participant

The first time I was in an earthquake was in Tokyo at an auction, it was a really violent one and the building was rocking around. I was scared as hell and didn’t know what to do, looked around for help to only realize that everybody else was carrying on as usual and that this was no big deal to them.

Participant

Cat didnt even stir. Gave me a look like “grow a pair”..

Participant

Shit scary stuff just went back to apartment to get some stuff a few aftershocks

Keymaster

I just published a quick post about this on the blog with all the basic info: 6.6 Earthquake Strikes Near Chengdu

Participant
    Quote:
    Worst advice ever!

You think so? Maybe if we were in Japan or some place that has really strong anti-seismic measures. But from what I’ve read of accounts of the 2008 Sichuan earthquake, it was the people who stayed inside the buildings who didn’t make it. Maybe that says more about Chinese school construction standards than anything else but I’m not particularly inclined to trust their building standards for residential or commercial facilities either in a massive quake.

But maybe that’s just me. When I arrived here, I did insist that my gf and I move from the 30th-floor dodgy apartment that she had chosen into a safer-looking 6th-floor one for that very reason…

Participant

Two aftershocks so far. One around 9 and the other as I type. As others have said it was a biggie. 6.9 near Ya’An, 17km deep. The dog is still twitching too. Memories of 5 years ago!!

Participant

Aftershocks still happening easy way to check get a bottle of water and stand on the lid

Participant

I found a Chinese govt site, if anyone is interested: the site of the “China Seismograph Network Data Management Center.” They are reporting it as a magnitude 7.0 though:

http://www.csndmc.ac.cn/newweb/index.jsp

You are much more likely to be killed escaping a building during an earthquake than be killed by it collapsing in on you. By the time the full force hits you will probably be in a stairwell which is the most dangerous place to be. Not only because you could fall or be trampled by other people trying to escape, but if the building did collapse then you have 0 chance of survival as you will get chopped up by the stairs themselves.

Once outside you could also easily be hit by debris, plant pots, air con, tiles, windows…. By the time you get to that open space, the earthquake will be over.

Participant

CDTV only started the news at 09:20 SCTV nothing fucking disgraceful !!! The people of Chengdu have no information. Showing the locals info from BBC.

Participant

Ben is right. Best advice: Duck, Cover and Hold On. So get away from windows, hide under something solid like a strong table and hold on to the legs in case the table moves. Most casualties are caused by objects flying around and debris falling from buildings.

We were on the 29th floor and it was pretty scary though…

Participant
    Quote:
    By the time the full force hits you will probably be in a stairwell which is the most dangerous place to be.

Hopefully you would get out before then. In my experience, it takes quite a long time for them to really get going. If you’re not on a ridiculously high floor and you’re thinking fast, you most likely would have more than enough time to get outside before the full force hits…

But I guess when it comes down to it everyone is going to do what feels safest to them in the moment. Some will run and some will freeze and some will calmly go about their business as if nothing is happening. I’ll take my chances in the open any day (watching out for falling debris goes without saying)…

Don’t get me wrong though, I think the “stay inside” advice is probably fine if you’re in the US or Japan, like I said. I just don’t trust the buildings here at all.

Participant

It made the top 3 BBC articles for about 10 mins.

BBC

I got a message from a Chinese friend, I asked what I should do, she said “lol.sleep”

So I turned on the TV and put on CCTV News(English) and there was no mention of anything except the Boston bomber being caught. Then I ate some Marmite on toast and drank a coffee.

Exciting story.

Anybody who is thinking of leaving the building should do so in my opinion. But only because last night’s rain has left the sky looking (slightly) blue!

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 123 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.