English Language Chengdu Subway App

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionEnglish Language Chengdu Subway App

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Someone on the Chengdu subreddit posted their independently made metro map app of Chengdu. I just downloaded it to take a peak.

https://itunes.apple.com/app/chengdu-metro/id1151264957

The free version of the app allows you to see nearby subway stops (if you allow access to your location), get the route from Point A to Point B by selecting stops on the minimal map, gives estimated time, cost of fare, has some landmarks, and provides a link to the Chengdu Metro Weibo (if you read Chinese you can see traffic updates there). It’s free to use, but a $3.99 upgrade to see the Timetable (I don’t know how accurate it is or where it pulls the data from).

Not sure if this is the best one out there, I personally use Baidu maps because it is comprehensive to the point where you can find the nearest public toilet, opening hours for businesses, as well as directions, but the drawback to Baidu maps is you need to know Chinese (at least the pinyin). Don’t know how this one holds up to Apple Maps or other options, but nice to have a light Metro-focused app to choose from.

Keymaster

I think Apple Maps has transit information for Chengdu as well (I got a push notification about this a few months ago). I haven’t used it but for anyone with an iPhone that might be worth checking out as well.

Participant

May I will try this out. I have used Baidu and AutoNavi maps but none of them were perfect accurate for me, because I can easily get lost.

Participant

Hi Dan and Charlie,
    thank you a lot for the post 🙂

I’ve built this app for people that use the metro a lot:
    I believe that it’s great to have an app that lets you know how long your trip is going to take and how much the fare is going to be in just a few taps.

It’s a Metro Transportation app, and that’s all it really is:
    it absolutely doesn’t aim to compete with great navigation apps such as Baidu Map and Apple Maps.

The upgrade is more of a thank you towards the developer (me!) for building this app and making it free for everybody to use.

Of course it comes with its own incentives such as the removal of advertisements (that show up only after you use the app for a while) and the first/last train times.

These times mirror the official Chengdu Metro timetable from its Website .
    An example can be found in the picture attached below (along with the same data from the website).

Even without the upgrade, the app is perfectly usable and I’m sure plenty of people will be satisfied with what comes for free 🙂

In the future the upgrade will also include exits information for each station, this task takes longer (depending on the availability of such information, I still have to look into it) and will be implemented later (if you upgrade today, you’ll get all these future additions for free).

Another nice thing about this app is that it will become more and more useful as time passes. For example, next year:

• There are two line expansions planned (on both sides of Line 4);
    • The first part of the loop line will open (line 7);
    • Lastly, also line 10 is expected to open;

The app will reflect all these changes as they happens.

Thank you for the interest: any other questions, please let me know 😀

Cheers!
    Federico

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Participant

May I will try this out. I have used Baidu and AutoNavi maps but none of them were perfect accurate for me, because I can easily get lost.

The apps pulls information from the official Chengdu Metro website, let’s hope they provide accurate information 😀

I hope you find it useful!

Attached below you can see an example of route description 🙂

Any feedback is welcome!
    Thank you and, please, have a nice day 🙂

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.