Explore the Countryside: Sunday Group Ride

HomeForumsIn ChengduExplore the Countryside: Sunday Group Ride

• This topic has 39 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Avatar photoPeggy.
Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Participant

This Dragon Boat Holiday weekend, Sunday June 1st, Natooke成都 will be leading another ride from the city center through a number of nice cycling areas through Shuangliu and Huayang for a 55km loop starting and finishing at the shop. We’ll have a chance to see some interesting landscapes and glimpse some of the development happening in and around the city we call home.

We’ll pass no small amount of urban sprawl and housing developments before plopping into the backyards of local subsistence farmers. Emerging from there we’ll pass through the glamorous “South Lake Scenic Area” before heading into some more remaining countryside that looks primed to become even more apartment blocks.

Anyone interested in participating should arrive at Natooke by 9:30am and we will set out by 10am.  The event is free and should take about 4.5-5 hours, which includes time to stop for a bite & beer.  We recommend each person or group has an inner tune repair kit/pump among them in the event of a puncture.  Safety equipment — helmets, gloves, and the like — always recommended.

Natooke成都: Xiaotian East Street 3-26

Need a bike? Rental bicycles are available!! Just call BEFORE the ride and reserve one.

Participant

June 29th

This Sunday June 29th Natooke成都 will be heading southeast from the city center through the eastern part of Shuangliu county for a  63km loop starting and finishing at Natooke成都.We will meander through country roads heading to Baoshi Lake where we will stop for a snack and enjoy a rest beside the lake.Anyone wanting to take a dip in the lake is more than welcome.If a mid-day swim isn’t your thing,some participants will be extending the journey to the top of Longquan Mountain before heading back to rejoin the others as we prepare to b-line it back to Chengdu.

Anyone interested in participating should arrive at Natooke成都 by 9:30am and we will set out by 10am.The event is free and should take 4-5 hours.We recommend each person or group has an inner tube repair kit/pump among them in the event of a puncture.

Natooke成都:Xiaotian East Street 3-26;小天东街3号附26号. 85042450

Rental bicycles are available !! Just call and reserve one.

Helmet,gloves,etc.are not required but highly recommended. Safety first!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Participant

Here is the route of ride,29th June and  Baoshi Lake

Participant

When is the next ride after this? Can’t make it out this time but really want to make it to the next one.

When is this next happening, I’ve yet to ride out with you guys on a Sunday.

Participant

This Sunday December 7th we will be heading southeast from the city center through the country for a 45 km loop starting and finishing at Natooke 成都. Anyone interested in participating should arrive at Natooke 成都 by 9:30am and we will set out by 10am. The event should take about 4 hours.We recommend each person or group has an inner tube repair kit/pump among them in the event of a puncture. Rental bicycles are available ! Just call and reserve one. Helmet, gloves, etc. are not required but highly recommended. Safety first!

Participant

My bike has multiple gears, how badly will get ostracized if I bring it on this trip?

Participant

We wouldn’t offer a free event to the public if we planned on ostracizing attendants!

You may get grief if your bike is in poor repair however…

Participant

Fun ride last Sunday, thanks to Natooke (and Ra)!  From what I hear, these might happen more often in 2015, so I highly recommend joining if you get the chance.

Participant

Here are some pictures.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Participant

If anybody is interested in joining me. I usually cycle around the mountain area of Longquan.  Today for example I will be doing Kill The Hill and tomorrow one of the mountain routes.  It’s very nice in the week as not much traffic and also at the moment those evil red dirt trucks are not allowed on the mountain.  I’m trying to build up to doing Kill The Hill three times a week, but to be honest my fitness levels are not up to it yet.

Participant

It’s very nice in the week as not much traffic and also at the moment those evil red dirt trucks are not allowed on the mountain.

Bravo!  Glad someone’s taking advantage of being near the hills.  When we did Kill the Hill last January they had just broken ground on a new fill project halfway up the hill.  The first half of the race was spent racing a line of those trucks dumping clay all over the road.

Participant

If anyone is interested in doing any countryside rides in Longquan. Drop me a pm.  I have found a nice route along the Dongfeng Canal it’s around 35k but you would have to add the distance from Chengdu.  Also you can cycle back all the away to Shiling, but some of it is a little bumpy.

http://www.strava.com/activities/260040092

http://www.strava.com/activities/259142719

Participant

That’s an awesome stretch from Longquan to Taiping.  You can also follow the edge of the range down to Sanxing and on.  Great climbing if you’ve got the gall to hook it up into the hills!

Participant

Looks like great rides. If anyone wants to do some hills, drop me a line.

Paul

Participant

I would love to, but I wouldn’t be able to keep up with you Paul.  I injured my back doing the hill last week.  Taking it slow this week.  I will try to post some maps soon.

I will do the canal route on Sunday if anybody is interested, but some of the route is a bit rough so you will need a mountain bike.

Participant

Paul the hiking route I call Alien face is a great bike ride.

The map is not perfect, but you can do a nice circuit on the top. You need to zoom in to see the detail of the roads. For me the killer is just getting up to the circuit…..

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=z3qibaZyRURc.kLtNPS2EdtDM

Participant
    Participant

Will there be any more Natooke Explore the Countryside Rides this year?

Participant

Certainly.  There will be at least one coming up in April and more in the following months through summer. Stay tuned here, follow our WeChat, and join our Strava group, Natooke Chengdu.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • The forum ‘In Chengdu’ is closed to new topics and replies.