Financial advice/solutions for Expats

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionFinancial advice/solutions for Expats

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi all,

There have been a number of questions regarding currency exchange / savings plans / international investment solutions etc. I work for the world’s leading IFA, our China office is in Shanghai, but my manager will be in Chengdu next month.

We will be setting up a permanent office in Chengdu and it’s important to understand the client base. Therefore any feedback from the ladies and gents of the Expat community would be welcomed, in regards to your financial needs and goals.

Some of the most common ways we help Expats include: regular savings for retirement/child education, lump sum investments, tax efficiency and forex.

If anyone feels they have a genuine need then feel free to pm me and we can discuss further, I will relay it to my manager and arrange a meeting if suitable.

I work for the world’s leading IFA

Pardon my ignorance, but who is that exactly?

Participant

deVere Group – https://www.devere-group.com

Participant
    Participant

Not entirely sure what relevance to this post that article has. As it is over 4 years old and you are both nameless and faceless, I would hazard a guess that you are a former employee, erring on the bitter side. It’s a shame that you are trying to thwart people who may be in genuine need of holistic and impartial financial advice.

I stopped reading that article after the first few paragraphs as it is clearly misinformed and biased – “though they are currently being phased out in the UK, the Netherlands and Australia” – quite on the contrary – deVere has been increasing its global presence, is licensed and regulated wherever it operates and continues to receive awards and accolades for its social responsibility and performance.

Clearly I made an error of judgement with the target audience of this forum.

Did you attend the United Airlines school of public relations. This is an extreme reaction to someone simply posting a link on a public form.

The link is old, but from my personal experience with financial advisers in China, it is accurate. The deVere Group may be totally different, but your attitude certainly doesn’t portray it.

Keymaster

Did you attend the United Airlines school of public relations.

Participant

Unfortunately United turned down my application, I still lose sleep over it but oh well, you live you learn.

In all seriousness though, all I meant was that it seems we have different motives by posting in this forum and I wonder if I came to the right place. I’m not interested in having debates, putting people down or arguing for argument sake. Just trying to do my job and reach out to people who may be in need.

I don’t believe it is fair that you should let your own bad experiences negatively impact on others. I ate pizza last week – the taste was awful, so too was the service, but I won’t start generalising about all Italian restaurants because of it.

Fair enough this is a public forum but you shouldnt shoot someone down for trying to do the right thing.

Not too sure if ‘Ben’ and ‘LivinginChengdu’ are the same person but I’m sorry to hear you had bad experiences in the past, thats just life I’m afraid. I don’t know what industries you work in in Chengdu but I’m sure you would agree that are competent people and not so competent people, honest hard-working professionals and perhaps not so.

In all seriousness though, all I meant was that it seems we have different motives by posting in this forum and I wonder if I came to the right place.

It’s a good idea to read a forum before posting to make sure that it is the right place.

I don’t believe it is fair that you should let your own bad experiences negatively impact on others. I ate pizza last week – the taste was awful, so too was the service, but I won’t start generalising about all Italian restaurants because of it.

Pizza doesn’t cost tens of thousands of $$$. I think LivinginChengdu’s comment (link) was merely a warning to be careful. My comment would be more like saying all the pizza that I have had so far in Chengdu was awful – which is nonesense because Mike’s pizza is awesome!

Not too sure if ‘Ben’ and ‘LivinginChengdu’ are the same person

I’ll take that as a compliment, LivinginChengdu is a far cleverer man than I.

Participant

In the event that there is a dispute between your company and one of your expat clients, exactly which regulatory body in which territory has jurisdiction to resolve the dispute and enforce a judgement?

Keymaster

In the event that there is a dispute between your company and one of your expat clients, exactly which regulatory body in which territory has jurisdiction to resolve the dispute and enforce a judgement?

Great question, let’s see if there is an answer.

Participant

That would clearly depend on which territory the client was in. The Americans amongst you will be familiar with the SEC. For clients in the UK it will be the FCA, clients in HK will be the HKMA/SFC … We work with expats in over 100 countries, for the sake of brevity I don’t need to go through them all.

For a company as large and successful as deVere, you don’t get to over 80,000 clients all around the world without doing the right thing and only working in the best interests of the client. Not to mention the VERY strict compliance procedures.

deVere have an immense track record with clients all across the globe, the continuous recognition and awards are testament to this…

https://www.devere-group.com/awards/Awards.aspx

This information is all publicly available. If you are truly interested, as I mentioned, my managers will be going to Chengdu. It would be my pleasure to introduce you to them. We will be hosting a seminar and you are more than welcome to come along and ask away any questions you may have. Feel free to PM me to arrange further.

However I think it is clear to anyone reading this forum that your interest is solely to be destructive and not constructive, due to your personal vendetta against the finance industry. It’s easy to post something online and hide behind anonymity, whether you turn up to the seminar and ask the same questions in person, time will tell.

Participant

It’s a good idea to read a forum before posting to make sure that it is the right place.

Participant

As you implied Ben, I probably came to the wrong place and will therefore leave this forum now.

Participant

That would clearly depend on which territory the client was in. The Americans amongst you will be familiar with the SEC. For clients in the UK it will be the FCA, clients in HK will be the HKMA/SFC … We work with expats in over 100 countries, for the sake of brevity I don’t need to go through them all.

I don’t need over 100 answers, I just need one: which regulatory body is responsible for resolving disputes between your company and clients who are expatriates resident in China?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.