Buying a Game Console Question

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionBuying a Game Console Question

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hello

I was thinking about buying a PS4 today, but I thought it might be best to ask around a bit first: are the PS4 consoles usually modded? Is it difficult to find games in English? Does PSN work in China?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can answer.

Cheers!

Participant

“are the PS4 consoles usually modded? Is it difficult to find games in English?”

Google can answer your questions. It’s absolutely not Chengdu specific. Download all of the PS4 torrents you can possibly find.

If you want pirated games, China can take care of your needs – but you’re limited to last-generation consoles. If you want a PS4 and the games that go with it: you’re likely to get English *only* (AFAIK there is no such thing as a Chinese only PS4 game. WTF?) and you’ll have to pay foreign price plus whatever the middle-man who is selling your game to you wants as a cut. Xbox One however, has found an “in” though the shanghai free trade zone to sell consoles more ‘directly’ to consumers, that’s why you’ll see them at, say, Auchan…because consoles were only just legally available in China.

“Available in English”.. yeah.

Keymaster

Hi,

The PS4 isn’t cracked, so you will have to buy real games. The PS3 and Xbox 360 are cracked, so if you want pirated games, it’s easy to get those. But you won’t be able to play online.

Basically all of the games are in English. I haven’t seen a game that’s not. Some of them have traditional Chinese as well, but there will usually be a menu option to toggle between those (or the game will just automatically play in whatever language you have your console set to use).

PSN works great, no problems.

Participant

Awesome, thanks so much for the info guys, much appreciated.

Participant

Bump…anyone heard of any problems bringing a PS4 back through customs? Couldn’t resist the black Friday deals. I know consoles are legal but the PS4 hasn’t officially launched here afaik.

Keymaster

Bump…anyone heard of any problems bringing a PS4 back through customs? Couldn’t resist the black Friday deals. I know consoles are legal but the PS4 hasn’t officially launched here afaik.

I think you will have no problem. I have brought a lot of electronic equipment into China and never had an issue. I saw there’s a $399 deal today with GTA V and TLOU. Awesome deal. I paid $500 for a PS4 with TLOU about 3 months ago in Chengdu and do not regret it at all.

Participant

Absolutely agree..no issues with bringing any electronics into China. The only problems would present themselves is if your suitcase was nothing but (x) electronic, in quantity, that substantiated a commercial claim–like smuggling through customs without paying duty. For example, you can bring 4 iPhones into China and say “I’M BRINGING iPHONES!” — but that’s not commercial, you can justify it reasonably as bringing it for friends and family, they’ve busted people who brought in say… 20+ in stacks, however, because the value breaks the import duty restriction and there isn’t really a reasonably explanation as to why you’re bringing in 20+ for personal use.

Bring in all the shit you want, just make sure it’s for personal use, or at least justifiably so — or claim the value at customs if it’s too expensive of gear.

Participant

Sweet. I picked up a standalone PS4 off ebay for $329, tax free and free shipping. I was eyeing the walmart deal for $449 (TLOU/GTA5 + choice of two games) but figured all the bundled games will be cheap soon.

Keymaster

Sweet. I picked up a standalone PS4 off ebay for $329, tax free and free shipping. I was eyeing the walmart deal for $449 (TLOU/GTA5 + choice of two games) but figured all the bundled games will be cheap soon.

They’re really cheap today: Amazon Black Friday PS4 Deals. Unfortunately these are for physical copies, not digital. But I definitely recommend signing up for Playstation+, it’s $50 a year but comes with free games every month. Most of them are indie games but some of them are really good.

Participant

Yeah, I found TLOU digital for $20. Will get PS+ next month for Injustice, hope they put up some quality retail titles like Infamous going forward. I’ll be grabbing Resogun, Trials, Geometry Wars 3 and maybe Transistor as far as indies so that will keep me busy for a while. I wonder how my connection is going to hold up though…guess I’ll grab my router while I’m at it too.

Participant

Sorry to bump this again, just curious if you guys know what ports to forward and/or any other suggested router settings to improve my PS4 connection. I’m able to get on PSN and download, but there’s random quirks with connecting to certain game servers. Searching google pulls up a bunch of Battlefield topics (their expansion pack is titled ‘China Rising’ heh).

Using a Linksys WRT54GL and PPOE/DSL connection if that matters. PS4 is wired to the router, not using wi-fi.

Keymaster

Sorry to bump this again, just curious if you guys know what ports to forward and/or any other suggested router settings to improve my PS4 connection.

I would set a static IP address for the console and then forward the ports that it uses from the router to the console. I did that and have no problems. Here’s a link with info on which ports it’ll be using: PS4 Ports

Participant

Perfect, thanks.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.