Getting Steak in Chengdu

HomeForumsIn ChengduGetting Steak in Chengdu

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 101 total)
  • Author

@ Brendan: wow then I’d definitely go for the one at 12$! But do you think there is a quality chasm between the two (personally it’s a NO-NO for me to buy seafood at Safeway due to several traumatizing experiences…)? Then it’s about the organic produce. The bay area is a hub of organic enthusiasts and Whole Foods is thus the spot.

Leanna’s Bakery (http://www.leannasbakery.com/) in Yulin had some nice looking T-bones for sale last time I checked. Had a nice marbling on them, but I haven’t tried.

@ Chris: Noted with thanks!

Participant

In Hong Kong thay had a similar place called 360. I think it’s Japanese, awesome. That’s one thing Chengdu really lacks. Ito and Metro have some cool stuff, but not top quality prepared food like Whole Foods. Yeah, it can get kinda pricey though…

Keymaster
    Quote:
    This is the map link for the restaurant I’ve so far found the best steak at;

Above The World Chengdu

Some of the items on the menu are fairly pricey, but they do serve an awesome 400g T-Bone (very little bone!) at 240 RMB if memory serves. They serve both Chinese & Western menus.

You would not be disappointed with the steak being served here.

Thanks for the heads up on this place, I haven’t heard anyone else mention it before. Gonna check it out one day soon.

In Hong Kong, I used to go to the super market “Great” in the Pacific Palace in Admiralty. The quality of meat and seafood is very decent, even fantastic sometimes.

Participant

Back to getting steak in a restaurant, I was pleasantly surprised by “The English Morning” at Shamrock. It’s a steak, 2 eggs, & “chips” for like 58RMB & it’s been really good 2 of the 3 times I’ve tried it (the first wasn’t seasoned enough for my liking so I had to add some salt & pepper & then it was good.)

Bump this.

Any news on a decent Steak in this town?

What about Hotel restaurants?

Tony Roma’s had already closed down when I wanted to try.

Participant

Buy your own, get an oven. 😀

I usually shop at Auchan near Ikea in south, but sometimes get much better meat from Ito Yokado..specifically the one at Wanda. They have excellent ribs and you can have them chopped right off the side of rib you choose, too.

It’s kinda sporadic, if you find good meat cuts buy more and freeze them – better a good cut frozen than a shit cut “fresh”.

Thx.

Dry aged is probably out of the question even via the email order.

I recently discovered the steak being served at the awful ‘New Zealand Town’ restaurant at LKF. They do an ‘Australian’ (??) fillet steak for 68 RMB. It’s no frills, and needs to be cooked to medium, but as a quick bite it’s pretty good. Hold off on the sauce though, they like to drown your plate in it!

Participant

I heard about the “NZ cafe” steaks, wasn’t really happy with it, and your definitely right about the sauce – I went maybe half a year ago so maybe it’s different now but when I went it was a super strong black pepper sauce and no matter how the steak was, couldn’t taste anything but black pepper…

Ito Yokato at Wanda in general has the best selection of meats I’ve found – especially ribs. Their ribs are excellent! Auchan near Ikea I’ve found like a 1 in 4 hit ratio of finding good cuts of steak..

Oh, and for Tony Romas, even though the ‘steak’ was thin shit it’s now closed down, saw “New Tenants Soon” and construction happening there last week. Unfortunate, will miss their rib sauce.

Participant

T-bone lovers rejoice. They sell T-bones at Carrefour, and they’re not bad at all. Here’s one I bought tonight, used a little meat tenderizer/seasoning then pan fried in butter/olive oil/garlic and topped with some mushroom gravy. There’s a little caramelized/sauteed onion & pepper beneath.

steak.jpg

Not as thick as I like, but even though I only used a little bit of tenderizer the meat was so soft and moist it could actually pull apart with a fork rather than having to sawbones through it. Quite enjoyed.

Participant

T-bone lovers rejoice. They sell T-bones at Carrefour, and they’re not bad at all. Here’s one I bought tonight, used a little meat tenderizer/seasoning then pan fried in butter/olive oil/garlic and topped with some mushroom gravy. There’s a little caramelized/sauteed onion & pepper beneath.

steak.jpg

Not as thick as I like, but even though I only used a little bit of tenderizer the meat was so soft and moist it could actually pull apart with a fork rather than having to sawbones through it. Quite enjoyed.

Participant

Sorry that I am late to this steak discussion.

I, for one, can strongly strongly vouch for the quality and value of the steaks available for sale at the Qing Shi Qiao market.

I frequently buy steak there, as well as lambchops, chicken wings, and butter. You’re best bet is the block of the market that backs up on to the Carrefour. You can find a good selection at many of stores, which although small, usually have large walk in freezers next door. Don’t be dissuaded by the atrocious smell, and piles of dead frogs on dirty tile floor… it is what it is. All the good steak there is frozen, and in large cellophane covered lumps in the freezers. They will slice it for you at your desired thickness, and if you request (as I do,) individually vacuum seal the steaks in bags.

Participant

Sorry that I am late to this steak discussion.

I, for one, can strongly strongly vouch for the quality and value of the steaks available for sale at the Qing Shi Qiao market.

I frequently buy steak there, as well as lambchops, chicken wings, and butter. You’re best bet is the block of the market that backs up on to the Carrefour. You can find a good selection at many of stores, which although small, usually have large walk in freezers next door. Don’t be dissuaded by the atrocious smell, and piles of dead frogs on dirty tile floor… it is what it is. All the good steak there is frozen, and in large cellophane covered lumps in the freezers. They will slice it for you at your desired thickness, and if you request (as I do,) individually vacuum seal the steaks in bags.

Participant

If you are off-put by piles of dead frogs on the floor, I will say that the Ito Yokado steak selection, is, as Rick mentioned, actually quite good… if slightly overpriced.

Participant

If you are off-put by piles of dead frogs on the floor, I will say that the Ito Yokado steak selection, is, as Rick mentioned, actually quite good… if slightly overpriced.

Seeing as this has been bumped again…

I just last night went to Peter’s Tex Mex at Galleria mall, and surprisingly had an awesome 10oz Rib Eye there that was cooked just as I asked it to be, nicely marbled, and not drenched in sauce. It was a wee bit pricey at 198 RMB, but I’d eat it again for sure.

Can’t say the same for any of the other Tex Mex’s I’ve been to, the food in there has been sub-par most of the time.

Participant

Note to self: Don’t read steak thread before lunchtime.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 101 total)
  • The forum ‘In Chengdu’ is closed to new topics and replies.