Going to Chengdu to Look for a Job

HomeForumsClassifiedsJobs & Apartment RentalsGoing to Chengdu to Look for a Job

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi everyone,

So im trying to get a Visa to work in Chengdu but it is a bit hard since i do not have a BA and only a TEFL certificate.

I’ve been told it would be much easier for me to just come to Chengdu on a tourist visa and try find a job while i am there, and then i can get my work visa easier. Which i think would be the best thing to do. Just looking for some other thoughts.

What do you think?

Keymaster

I think you might not be able to get a work visa without a bachelor’s. Tons of teachers are teaching in China without that, though. You can likely find a job teaching anyway depending on where you from, but it will be legally questionably (as are many things in China).

Participant

if i went to china on a tourist visa. then while in china got a job and apply for business visa. would that work? or do i need to be out of the country to get a business visa

Keymaster

if i went to china on a tourist visa. then while in china got a job and apply for business visa. would that work? or do i need to be out of the country to get a business visa

That is what most people do, actually. Come on a tourist visa and then convert to something else. I’m not sure of the exact rules (they are always changing) but my understanding is that worst case is that you would have to go to Hong Kong to switch between visa types. In most cases, your employer will pay for this.

Participant

Yes – you need to do the exit/entry, and sometimes HK will require you to go back to your home country to apply for the work permit, depends. That’s the case for any time you change between tourist>work visa.. I don’t know if it’s the case for student>work visa.

Participant

Yes – you need to do the exit/entry, and sometimes HK will require you to go back to your home country to apply for the work permit, depends. That’s the case for any time you change between tourist>work visa.. I don’t know if it’s the case for student>work visa.

If things not changed, you have to leave China to change your student visa to a work visa too.

Daniel

Participant

Well i plan to go to chengdu on tourist visa and then change to Business visa. Apparently i cannot get a Work visa because i do not have a BA. So all i would be able to get is Business

Keymaster

Well i plan to go to chengdu on tourist visa and then change to Business visa. Apparently i cannot get a Work visa because i do not have a BA. So all i would be able to get is Business

Right, I think that’s correct. Aside from the academic qualifications, I think they also require 2+ years of experience inside the industry that you’re working in.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Jobs & Apartment Rentals’ is closed to new topics and replies.