Google vs. Bing

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionGoogle vs. Bing

Viewing 6 posts - 21 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Duckduckgo blocked now? Can’t access it anymore without a VPN through China Telecom.

Mobile/Unicom seems fine.

Participant

I take that back. Mobile not fine.

Participant

I was never a huge fan of bing.com either, but I thought I’d add a little clarity here.

Bing.com works well, but if you are using it from China you only see the allowed results. Bing decided to comply with the Chinese government and blocks results that China blocks.

IE if you try to get youtube results only (IE Inxs rock band site:youtube.com), you will see this message:

Some results are removed in response to a notice of local law requirement.For more information, please see here.

FYI.. the bing.com/translator seems to be better than google’s translator.

Keymaster

I was never a huge fan of bing.com either, but I thought I’d add a little clarity here. Bing.com works well, but if you are using it from China you only see the allowed results.

True, but even in America Bing seems to be about 40% as accurate at Google. With many search terms, Google is right on the money and Bing is way off. if they were functionally equivalent I would just use Bing and fine with that, but the difference in accuracy between the two is enormous, I find.

With DuckDuckGo blocked as well, the search engine situation is pretty dire here. There’s nothing available that’s decent without a VPN. Which means that in addition to all the most popular sites being blocked, the lesser known sites or pages that we’re looking for will never be found without a VPN.

Participant

sinaapp.co

It’s a mirror of google HK. I don’t know how exactly, but it is hosted on the Amazon cloud, so the only way for it to be blocked is if amazon.com is blocked.

Participant

sinaapp.co

It’s a mirror of google HK. I don’t know how exactly, but it is hosted on the Amazon cloud, so the only way for it to be blocked is if amazon.com is blocked.

Nice one, works very well. For the full Google mirror experience http://elgoog.im is another good alternative.

Viewing 6 posts - 21 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.