Help Withdrawing from ICBC Account Outside China

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionHelp Withdrawing from ICBC Account Outside China

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi, I hope someone can help me.
    Sorry that it’s a bit long.

I have a CCB account and an ICBC account.
    In my country, I can use my CCB card to take out my money.
    But, most of it is in my ICBC account.
    I think, ok, no problem, this card should work too, but no!
    After a while I realize it must be because there is no magnetic strip on the back of the ICBC card, this card only has the ‘chip’…
    My country has supported the ‘chip’ for many years, ages, not like the USA.
    But, for whatever reason, all the different banks ATMs that I could find, did not accept it. Maybe banks here look at the strip too, to double check etc. Or, maybe it didn’t work simply because of the non-existence of a magnetic strip? (And sticking one on would work? ha)

Anyway, I want to get this money out.

It’s about 25,000RMB, nothing so crazy, and I don’t need it in a rush, but, I do want it.

I’m not certain when I will return to China.
    I tried to use my online banking to transfer from ICBC to CCB, but it said:
    “Error Code: 96113280
    Tips: Sorry, you have not applied for USB-Shield, ICBC e-password device or code card. No such service “

CCB gave me a usb thing, but ICBC didn’t give me anything… I should have asked.

I could transfer via Alipay but since I’m out of the country, my sim card won’t work and I won’t be able to receive the sms confirmation code that usually happens with large enough payments.

I’m thinking I will have to send my card and pin to a trustworthy person in China…!

Any advice is appreciated, thank you!
    Even if you can confirm that, for example, in X country, your ICBC card without the magnetic strip worked, that would be helpful too!

Keymaster

You might want to contact the bank or do some research on Google. I have never had a problem with any Unionpay Chinese bank card at a Unionpay-supported ATM outside of the country.

Participant

You might want to contact the bank or do some research on Google. I have never had a problem with any Unionpay Chinese bank card at a Unionpay-supported ATM outside of the country.

Hi, thanks Charlie. Yes, in my country/many countries, unionpay is supported. It’s just the fact that this ICBC card doesn’t have a magnetic strip.

My CCB card with one works fine.

ICBC won’t be able to help me because, I’m out of the country.
    For example, they wouldn’t send me a card with a magnetic strip to me, they wouldn’t simply transfer my money to another account over the phone, etc.

After looking it up on the internet I saw other people who had problems with their ICBC card (due to theirs not having the strip) – and no solutions.

Instead of my above idea of sending my card+pin to someone trusted, now I think the best way will be to send my sim card to someone trusted, and transfer the money via Alipay. The friend would then just tell me the security code on the sms.

It sounds a bit of a hassle, but it’s cheaper than going to China just for this!

(But any other ideas are welcome!)

Participant

hello,i have ICBC bank account too,and i went to other country,it works,can withdraw money through ATM. And when you apply ICBC account,you didn’t ask the online tools?there are a small one that can help you use it online.have you tried to ask your country’s bank,how to solve it?

Participant

hello,i have ICBC bank account too,and i went to other country,it works,can withdraw money through ATM. And when you apply ICBC account,you didn’t ask the online tools?there are a small one that can help you use it online.have you tried to ask your country’s bank,how to solve it?

Does your ICBC card have a magnetic stripe on the back of it? The black strip?

If yes, what country did you use it in?

I’m curious as to whether or not normal payments will work in a store, because here I can just insert my card a little for the chip to be read – and that is enough, it doesn’t use the magnetic strip.
    So, maybe I can pay for stuff like that… I’ll try something small.

It should work fine, I’d just prefer cash!

I have online banking but no usb tool needed to verify online transfers…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.