How to Become a Local Laowai

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionHow to Become a Local Laowai

Viewing 8 posts - 21 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

Yes, Charlie, I’m lying. Those friends don’t exist. You got me.

I would rather you share your contrasting perspective to contribute to an exchange of ideas, but okay. I don’t think you’re lying, but I also don’t think I’ve observed what you describe: people who embrace Chinese culture but don’t learn the language. It’s definitely not impossible. But if you don’t speak Chinese and you live in Chengdu, the unique experiences that you can have here will be limited because you can only speak to a very small percentage of the population. Whether you’re into kung fu, calligraphy, local music, history, entrepreneurship, tea culture, etc not being able to speak the language will be a considerable handicap.

The first thing I would recommend someone new to Chengdu do is start learning the language because the benefits are so comprehensive. Whether you get injured and have to go to a hospital, want to get a job, start a business, or date someone who doesn’t speak English.

Participant

or date someone who doesn’t speak English.

That’s kinda how I learned Chinese. 😀

Keymaster

That’s kinda how I learned Chinese.

Yeah, me too, I think this is pretty common. Date someone who doesn’t speak English and you’ll develop language skills quickly. That is always a fun adventure.

Participant

I’ve lived here for almost a month now. One of the most exciting (and rewarding) things for me so far has been learning the language. At the moment, being able to tell a taxi driver exactly where to go is almost worth a celebratory beer!

I’m pretty sure Brendan can count to 10

Ha Ha! Oh this is gold.

Indeed I can NOT count to ten, or indeed speak much of any Chinese, but guess what… I’m doing just dandy thanks!
    I do as folks who know me have pointed out have numerous Chinese friends across Chengdu, and whilst I’m wholly aware that not speaking the language can be perceived as a barrier, the last time I checked… human contact and communication thankfully extends far beyond the verbal. For myself personally, learning Chinese is something that I have two very definite ideas about. On the one hand I accept that in many instances my absorption of ‘culture’ (which truth be told is a pre-concept anyway) is in some way diminished, and there are absolutely without question many instances where I have wanted to delve further into knowing or understanding the people I meet. On the other hand (excuses notwithstanding) as an artist (dare I call myself that) I have taken a conscious decision to not learn to speak Chinese. Why have I done this? I originally came to China to separate myself from the facets of ‘Western’ life that have impacted me negatively for the last 25 years, and to take myself out of the comfort zone I’d become so accustomed to. I had a long term plan to get back to producing artwork under this condition of separation, and essentially see what would stick. The driving force for me in this is to try to convey visually without the need to verbalise. I could delve into that endlessly, but here is not the place (come see me in my studio!). As much as not speaking the language stands as a ‘barrier’, it does at the same time hone the ability to read people by way of observation. I’ve always been intrigued by this since having read Desmond Morris’s ‘The Human Zoo’ as a kid, together with many subsequent texts that investigate human condition at it’s core, outside of social constructs. I’m sure some will read this (with polished condescension) and dismiss it as babble, but I can safely say I have given deep consideration to what I’m doing, and why I am in (of all places) China. We are witness to a culture in crux, as traditional values are eschewed for material gain. As an outsider looking in, this is a goldmine. I do not need to immerse myself in traditional culture to improve upon my experience, I am purposefully looking for the opposite of any such immersion. I have no physiological nor psychological need to have my arse blown out by Hot-Pot on account of accruing brownie points, and neither am I sorry if that offends. My personal feeling is that so many expats here are just going with the flow, and to be honest the sum of those parts holds zero interest for me. That said, I continue to meet many Chinese folk who whether or not they speak English well, manage to convey vast sentiment and view. Thankfully there are many smart folk here (both foreign and Chinese alike) who have shared much philosophical insight, for which I am constantly grateful, as it highlights how as humans we are able to transcend social order, regardless of origin.

Oh and yes, avoid fake taxis. Derp.

Participant

I must say that, that article is very different to the recent one that was posted on CQscene. I think that ‘Become a local Laowai’ is a little friendlier in tone. Link to CQscene article below:

http://www.cqscene.com/#!10-Tips-to-Avoid-Looking-Like-a-Newb/c1wys/ACAD4151-6BF5-47E6-83CA-C5B2382B20AF

<div id=”dc_vk_code” style=”display: none;”></div>

Participant

@Shuangmian
    Wow, I prefer that one *way more*.

Participant

The CQscene one or the original post?
    <div id=”dc_vk_code” style=”display: none;”></div>

Viewing 8 posts - 21 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.