How to Import Animated GIFs Into Weixin?

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionHow to Import Animated GIFs Into Weixin?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

I know a lot of people on here use Weixin, but I’m wondering if anyone knows how to import animated GIFs. It seems that when you tap the smiley icon, hit the “Special” tab at the bottom and then the “+” button you can import images, but animated GIFs don’t seem to be animated by the time they make it into Weixin. I’m using an iPhone.

Any tips on how to get this working?

Are they still animated when they make it to your iphone?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Keymaster

Are they still animated when they make it to your iphone?

Yes, I did some research and here’s what I’ve learned:

1. You can save animated GIFs to an iPhone but they won’t appear animated in Photos app. If you share an animated gif via email, you will see it animated and looping on the compose mail screen
    2. If you import an animated gif into Weixin in the normal way (emoticons > special > “+” button), they will be imported, but they won’t be animated
    3. You can import animated gifs into Weixin using third party apps which connect to Weixin, but none of the ones I tried allow you to import your own gifs, only use theirs – which are inevitably retarded QQ cartoons

What I’m going to try today is use the Weixin web interface to upload the gifs and then save them on my phone. I’ve Googled this a lot and haven’t found a solution yet so when I figure this out I’ll post a workable solution here so that the next person who looks can find this.

Participant

Dunno if this makes sense but I think it’s just because you are trying to do this from an iPhone and indeed the GIFs lose their animation when you save them in your Camera Roll.

I’ve noticed Androids’ functionality between different apps is a lot better (for sharing stuff between apps) than iPhone’s so probably all/most of those GIFs you see come from Androids. Probably a lot easier to store animated GIFs on an Android as well.

Does this make sense?

Let me know when you found a solution!

Keymaster

Dunno if this makes sense but I think it’s just because you are trying to do this from an iPhone and indeed the GIFs lose their animation when you save them in your Camera Roll.

I thought they lost their animation as well, but it turns out they didn’t, confirmed by emailing the gifs. They’re still animated, it’s just that the animations don’t display in the Photos app due to the way that it renders images. The iPhone Mail app uses Webkit to render images (the same as Safari), so the animations work when you email the images, meaning the animations are intact, but not in Photos. So it’s kind of strange that the animations don’t work when imported from the Photos app into Weixin.

Participant

I recently found an Iphone app called “Riffsy” who lets you browse, save and send gifs to weixin, imessage and email.

Not sure if they have it on Android.

Keymaster

I recently found an Iphone app called “Riffsy” who lets you browse, save and send gifs to weixin, imessage and email. Not sure if they have it on Android.

I tried this today, while it has a huge collection of GIFs, if you copy & paste into Weixin the animated GIFs are no longer animated. I think it’s a Weixin issue.

Keymaster

I have given up trying to figure this out, nothing has worked. What works is sending GIFs to a friend with an Android friend, and have them send the GIFs to you in Weixin, then save them to yours.

Participant

Riffsey does work for Imessage strangely enough. I’ve tried several things myself but it does seem hopeless indeed…

Participant

anyone ever figure out how to do this?

Participant

nevermind, just download wechat for pc and send the gifs through that

Participant

Well, these is no way to import and send gifs to your friends because of the software limitation. And it seems that Tencent don’t want to solve this issue at present. Just send gifs using WeChat PC or web WeChat

Keymaster

anyone ever figure out how to do this?

Yes, send yourself the GIF over the browser version of WeChat. Once received, you can save it as a sticker. There is a file size limitation though, I think it’s 1mb (or 500k? One of those).

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.