Intercontinental Hotel in the Global Center

HomeForumsIn ChengduIntercontinental Hotel in the Global Center

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Has anyone been here already? Did u like it? Far from the city center?
    Any recommendation regarding visiting this?

Global center

Inside 1

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eob7Ki0Vhww

Participant

I go there because they have a toys’r’us and I need toys’r’us brand bottle nipples. Aside from that, it’s worth checking out at least once.. the swim beach is a waste of money – it’s really expensive for what it is, but again, if you want to give it a shot, go for it – it includes food but the food is *shit*. The restaurants inside are mostly mediocre at best, I’ve eaten at several. Iceskating only has smaller size skates, I managed to fit into a pair of I think 10s or 10.5, was their largest at the time, and it hurt my toes – their skates are also all (or almost all?) the type with the little spikes on the front for figure skating.

It’s in the south directly south of city centre, along renmin south road, and you can get nearby via subway.. incubation park stop I think? haven’t subway’d there. Give ‘er a look if you haven’t been, if you’re not used to sort of…..illusionary extravagance that is common in China, you’ll certainly see it here 🙂

Participant

I go there because they have a toys’r’us and I need toys’r’us brand bottle nipples. Aside from that, it’s worth checking out at least once.. the swim beach is a waste of money – it’s really expensive for what it is, but again, if you want to give it a shot, go for it – it includes food but the food is *shit*. The restaurants inside are mostly mediocre at best, I’ve eaten at several. Iceskating only has smaller size skates, I managed to fit into a pair of I think 10s or 10.5, was their largest at the time, and it hurt my toes – their skates are also all (or almost all?) the type with the little spikes on the front for figure skating. It’s in the south directly south of city centre, along renmin south road, and you can get nearby via subway.. incubation park stop I think? haven’t subway’d there. Give ‘er a look if you haven’t been, if you’re not used to sort of…..illusionary extravagance that is common in China, you’ll certainly see it here

What kind of food are we talking about? What is the price if u still remember?

Have also been to the cinema over there??

ps: every time I post something, I always hold my breath of the answer I’ll be getting 😮
    I have to say, Chengdu is not boring at all. Keeps on surprising me.

Keymaster

Give ‘er a look if you haven’t been, if you’re not used to sort of…..illusionary extravagance that is common in China, you’ll certainly see it here

The Global Center is absolutely worth checking out at least once. The scale of the building is amazing. The architectural design of the outside building is interesting and embodies traditional and modern Chinese design, to a degree. But when you go inside, holy shit, it’s the probably the most tastelessly ostentatious building that I’ve been inside of. The first time I went there was with an architect that I was dating at the time and she went into great detail about how everything was all wrong, from the materials to the shapes and layout of objects in the interior. It’s a spectacle.

I hear there’s a decent Thai restaurant inside the Global Center. Never eaten in there before.

Participant

I hear there’s a decent Thai restaurant

Unless there’s two – the one on the top floor past the Cinema isn’t that good. I didn’t try any of their crab or ‘by the lb’ dishes, though, but for 4 it cost around 450rmb and was mediocre at best — I found it worse than the one on the river by the bus station on Kehua Beilu, and more expensive.

The cantonese restaurant is OK, but a bit pricier than other similar restaurants in Chengdu, and the one directly across from that thai restaurant with the gan guo or whatever, is probably the best bet – pretty good value, good taste, and those wonderful ripped up noodles thrown into the pot afterwards to soak up all the goodness..

Haven’t been to the theatre, but it looks nice – there are so many movie theatres in Chengdu. If there are some sorta VIP seats/smaller theatres I’d go – not a fan of crowded theatres here, especially with the likelihood that people are going to be on their phone or yapping during the movies..

Participant

(at Charlie and Rick)

You guys seem to be well informed about all the things happening in Chengdu.
    What is the thing that YOU guys keeps urself occupied with besides work? Where do u hang out? Any hobbies? Girlfriends? Family? Travel? etc..

Participant

I actually went into the beach before the openning , i have a girlfriend who is the accountant in New Exhibition company(Global center is one of new exhibition company’s project) it was not soo good, maybe during that time they just finished the decorate, water or air was not good, and the funny thing is the big LED electronic display screen, many sea animal and plants, try to make you feel its real sea and beach.

Participant

Well i was there several times (and will go again this weekend, duh!) but i think ill join the previous writers. Worth visiting once or twice, after that…… meh at best.

Participant

@Karim
    “What is the thing that YOU guys keeps urself occupied with besides work?”

I’ve a little baby. It keeps me well occupied 😀 I’m not a fan of the “mother in law takes care of baby” thing.

Participant

The Global Center is a Joke !! every thing as been buildt wrongly and outside initial bleue print !! except the size of building nothing sexy !! outside size look impressive inside look like a normal mall !! water park is a joke too i won’t say much as i work at Global !! so far any other place in chengdu is more fun Then to be at global center ! Chinesse will like the Center Foreigner won’t !! recommandation just go look one time and you will understand the kind of spirit there and you won’t go again ! ^^

Keymaster

(at Charlie and Rick) You guys seem to be well informed about all the things happening in Chengdu. What is the thing that YOU guys keeps urself occupied with besides work? Where do u hang out? Any hobbies? Girlfriends? Family? Travel? etc..

Recently I work 50+ hours a week so that’s where most of my time goes. Other than that, spending time with my girlfriend, watching movies, reading books, DJ’ing on weekends, and writing articles on Chengdu Living. There’s a Chengdu Living redesign that is nearly complete and will be deployed soon, that has taken up a lot of time as well. Oh, and Dojo.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘In Chengdu’ is closed to new topics and replies.