Is Ikea China the Same as Ikea U.S.?

HomeForumsIn ChengduIs Ikea China the Same as Ikea U.S.?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Will be arriving August 10 which means it’s time to plan, shop, and pack for 10 months of living abroad. Does IKEA Chengdu offer the same household goods and kitchenware typically found in U.S. stores?

On a side note, will I be able to find 3m command hooks (has to be the brand name)  and gallon sized ziplock bags (generic is fine)

Participant

Yeah, Ikea is the same pretty much everywhere I think. I couldn’t spot any difference between the one here and the one back in the US, if you just want kitchenwares you should be fine.

In terms of finding brand-name items, if they’re small I’d recommend buying them from home. I’ve never seen the 3M command hooks in stores, but you can get pretty much anything you need on Taobao; unfortunately it’s a little difficult to figure out how to connect your credit card/find stuff if you can’t read Chinese. Pretty much anything you could ever want/need however is on Taobao.

Participant

more people sleep in Chinese IKEAs than american ones.

In general, I prefer Chinese Ikea to American Ikea. I think it has something to do with the fact that all of china feels like an american Ikea, but then when you get into a Chinese Ikea, it’s all the same.

Keymaster

more people sleep in Chinese IKEAs than american ones.

Hahah, nailed it. The way people behave in a Chinese Ikea is different. People will just post up at the Ikea cafeteria for hours in Chengdu. In terms of the products they sell and they layout, I think Ikea here is virtually identical to what you’d find in the states.

Participant

Will be arriving August 10 which means it’s time to plan, shop, and pack for 10 months of living abroad. Does IKEA Chengdu offer the same household goods and kitchenware typically found in U.S. stores? On a side note, will I be able to find 3m command hooks (has to be the brand name) and gallon sized ziplock bags (generic is fine)

3M Command Strips in 7-11

I just saw them in 7-11.

You can find “ZipLock” bags in Ikea here, they are pretty good but I think the name brand stuff exists here too. Its mostly the same here but I would bring deodorant, Sensodine toothpaste (if you use it) and Tide Pens. Other than that you should be fine, I can’t really think of anything else you can’t either find on the internet or in import stores. I’m sure others can chime in.

Participant

@Johnny5 RE: Tide Pens

I bought a tide pen at Sabrinas like, 2 years ago? Not sure if they still have them. Personally didn’t find it very useful so never bothered w/ more..

Keymaster

Sensodine toothpaste (if you use it)

Great suggestion. Wish I had this here. Also Dr Bronner’s soap. Bringing vitamins from the states is a good idea, hard to find a good and trustworthy selection of those here.

Participant

Sensodine toothpaste (if you use it)

Great suggestion. Wish I had this here.

Just went to Metro and they have Sensodyne there. Pretty sure it’s owned by Colgate and I’ve bought it at Hongqi as well.

Keymaster

Just went to Metro and they have Sensodyne there. Pretty sure it’s owned by Colgate and I’ve bought it at Hongqi as well.

No kidding, thanks for the heads up!

Participant

Yep, the same, and still nigh impossible to find the exit! lol

Pretty sure there isn’t a cult of women in their 50’s meeting in the ‘restaurant’ for half a day. They even dress up for the occasion.

Participant

The old people sprawling on all the furniture and chillin’ in the restaurant go there for the free AC.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘In Chengdu’ is closed to new topics and replies.