I Do Private Chinese Tutoring

HomeForumsClassifiedsJobs & Apartment RentalsI Do Private Chinese Tutoring

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Want to Learn Chinese, but Don’t Know Where to Start?

I can help!  My name is Elizabeth Zhang and I do private tutoring in Chinese over Skype. You can visit my website at http://www.Chineseinabreeze.com or email me at [email protected].  You can start learning Chinese by yourself through many independent programs, but a personalized one-on-one tutoring is the best way to learn! My rates are low, and start at only 80RMB an hour in person or 100RMB on skype. I have over four years of teaching experience and a TCSOL certificate. I offer a free 20 minute class to allow you to see what I can do. Let me help you reach your language learning goals.  If you have any questions feel free to contact me, and I hope to hear from you soon!

Participant

Dear Elizabeth,

I am not sure if 80 CNY/hour is really cheap. It looks to be more the general market level from schools in Chengdu – private tutors then being way cheaper than that.

I went through your webpage and I found out you offer ‘Survival Chinese’ which you define as equivalent of 600 words to be taught in 50 hours.

Followed by advanced learning – as per your schedule 400-625 hours required for learning 5,000 words.

I feel very inferior to your students as I do not believe there can be anyone who can learn 12 (8) words/hour in period of months and still remember them on the long term. I certainly  cannot … 🙁

I do not want to sound negative and do not want to criticize you.

Just suggest you may consider your pricing as well as setting up more ‘humble’ goals for your potential students. 🙂

Participant

Hey Miro!

I think 80 an hour is a great market rate!  I have 4 years experience and a TCSOL certificate.  I’m sure you can find teachers or just native speakers for 30 to 50 RMB, but they have little experience teaching and also a much lower English level.  I work doing translating every week for a foreign company so my English level is also relatively high.  Why schedule a free demo and see if you like my teaching style?

Survival Chinese offers introduction to Chinese and different students have different needs and goals.  Instruction is only one part of learning and the other part takes hard work!  I’m sure you can learn Chinese if you push yourself and try your best!    If you even just take 1 hour a week in one year you should be able to do 600 words.  That’s only 12 words a week, or two words a day!  Language learning just takes time and each person has their own pace, so don’t worry about how fast or slow you learn.

I really hope you don’t get discouraged.  Chinese is not impossible and is very doable.  I can help you set goals you are comfortable with and if price is really important to you I can try to get a discounted group class.  Hope that helps!

Participant

Dear Elizabeth,

I really just tried to point out several things on your web and your add.

I would already question the words Survival Chinese. As you rightly say Chinese is difficult and I simply do not believe that a person taking 1 hour a week for one year can ‘survive’ in China (meaning giving the direction to the taxi driver, arrange the shopping and may be even gets involved in the small talks).

However this type of lesson is for some strange reason popular with majority of Chinese language educational establishments (probably because they believe it sounds more tempting to foreigners coming to China).

It may work for people who cannot speak any other language except of their own but whoever studied (and mastered) at least one foreign language will just get discouraged by that because the school is either so ‘naive’ that they believe it’s really possible or simply tries to mislead its potential customers – hard to say what is worse.

I dare to say if anyone studying Chinese is studying less than 8-10 hours a week (combination of self-studying and classes) so it may be just pure waste of time. money and effort as that person hardly gets over barely understandable 你好. 谢谢 and 再见.

We believe that studying Chinese to at least decent communicative level will take you years (and not just 2 …) if you work hard …

Your English is certainly important in case of beginners. For the intermediate level it’s already not so important and for advanced classes it may not play any role anymore.

What concern of your price so you can trust me it’s a market price – market price is neither great nor poor. It’s just the most common price at the market – from education institution. Private person market price is much lower.

And bargain price is of course much much lower than this 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Jobs & Apartment Rentals’ is closed to new topics and replies.