Lessons and Accommodations at Chinese Corner?

HomeForumsIn ChengduLessons and Accommodations at Chinese Corner?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi Chengdu-ers,

I’m planning a 4 week visit to Chengdu in a couple of months. While in Chengdu, I’d like to take daily Chinese lessons. I’m currently in contact with someone at Chinese Corner (http://chinesecorner.cn) to arrange this.

Chinese Corner requires a deposit of 20% for the total price of the course+accommodation package. In order to apply for a Tourist Visa, I need to supply proof of accommodation for the duration of my stay. So I’ll need to pay a decent amount of money before even being sure my Visa will be approved. Is there anyone who has any experience with Chinese Corner in Chengdu to ease my mind? 🙂

Thanks in advance!

Keymaster

Is it possible that you enter China on a tourist visa and then convert to a student visa? That is what I would advise. If you aren’t working and are just studying, you are not going to run into any visa issues, as long as you aren’t working.

I’m not familiar with Chinese Corner specifically, but Mandarin Club was a well known school in Chengdu for many years… and tragically, they provided an illegitimate visa to an American here in Chengdu which ended up getting him 30 days in a Chengdu jail. We published a podcast about it which you can check out here: 30 Days in a Chinese Jail.

Safest way, in my opinion, is to come on a tourist visa and check everything out before you commit to spending a lot of money.

Participant

Hi Chengdu-ers, I’m planning a 4 week visit to Chengdu in a couple of months. While in Chengdu, I’d like to take daily Chinese lessons. I’m currently in contact with someone at Chinese Corner (http://chinesecorner.cn) to arrange this. Chinese Corner requires a deposit of 20% for the total price of the course+accommodation package. In order to apply for a Tourist Visa, I need to supply proof of accommodation for the duration of my stay. So I’ll need to pay a decent amount of money before even being sure my Visa will be approved. Is there anyone who has any experience with Chinese Corner in Chengdu to ease my mind? 🙂 Thanks in advance!

You don’t need anything from them to apply for a tourist visa, you just need a return way ticket , proof that you have enough money for your stay (i think it is 1000 rmb per day you can check on your Chinese embassy website) , a scanned letter from a hotel in china to show you have at least book your first 3 days. a Itinerary showing where you will go while in China. I agree with Charlie better get your own tourist visa and check it out before spending money.

Also someone can correct me if i am wrong but across the  road from the Peters Tex Mex restaurant is only residential buildings or is there another one in Tongzilin?

Participant

Thank you both, that’s some very useful info! I’ll apply for the tourist visa myself and take a look at schools when I’m there. I’ve read about Mandarin Club before, do you have any other recommendations? I hope I’ll be able to find something on short notice after arriving.

Keymaster

Also someone can correct me if i am wrong but across the road from the Peters Tex Mex restaurant is only residential buildings or is there another one in Tongzilin?

There are tons of residential buildings in Tongzilin, the ones across the street from Peter’s is a huge complex called Jinxiu Gardens (锦绣花园). Many of the places inside there are villas (or as we call them in America, houses). Really nice place to live but very pricey.

I’ve read about Mandarin Club before, do you have any other recommendations? I hope I’ll be able to find something on short notice after arriving.

If you haven’t already, definitely look into Mandarin Blueprint.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘In Chengdu’ is closed to new topics and replies.