Listen to our Podcast

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionListen to our Podcast

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

We just published a new episode of our podcast, the first time in several years: Chengdu Living Podcast: Pollution, Uber, and “Real Life” in China. On that post you can find out more about this episode, including links to many things that we mention on the podcast.

I humbly invite everyone to check it out and leave feedback on how we can improve, or topics that you would like to hear about.

We seek to make this a regular thing, and to include new and old friends on the podcast to broaden the appeal. Here are some of the ideas that we have so far:

• Interviews with local business owners, how they decided to open in Chengdu and how they envision the future of their business and the city
    • All about Mahjong, with a competitive expat player
    • Chinese Traditional Medicine, with a knowledgeable source
    • All about studying Chinese, including info about local universities, tips and pitfalls, and a toolkit for the digital self-learner

If you have an interesting topic or story you’d like to tell, get in touch with us at [email protected]

Participant

Entertaining podcast, ‘latest in velcro technology’ and ‘and I spit in their face!’ had me cracking up. As far as feedback goes, I’d just say to have each speaker at least say hey/hello when being introduced at the beginning. I only knew Dan was speaking because I’d met him before.

I would’ve liked to have heard more about the effects (if any) of having the Smart Airs in your homes. Do you notice a difference, how often are you changing the filters, do you run them all the time (which I think Eli mentioned) etc. I’m planning to buy a couple when I get back. More Respro discussion would’ve been appreciated too; I haven’t been too happy with mine in my brief experience (hard to get a comfortable fit, condensation(?) makes me feel like my nose is running down my chin).

Interesting perspectives in the 3rd segment. I think the top reddit comment you discussed is total bullshit, your actions absolutely have consequences even if you don’t see it, but we have a thread for that. I wish the last 5 minutes of the cast would’ve been expanded as one of my friends/colleagues and I have recently been asking ‘how do we get/feel more connected with Chinese?’ to Chinese people and haven’t got a good answer beyond learn Mandarin. I’ll be the first to admit I need to hit the books harder as you mentioned, but then what? It’d be interesting to hear what you guys did once you had a basic grasp of the language, as I’m finding it difficult to meet many Chinese with similar interests to hang with on a regular basis.

The suggested future topics of business owners and learning Chinese sound great. I’ve talked with several expats who’ve gotten into the business side of Chengdu, and as that’s something I’d love to do eventually it would be great to hear about how they got started, pitfalls, successes and so on. And you guys mentioned having a Chinese guest, I think that would make a big difference in a good way.

Hey man, thanks so much for the feedback. Really, means a lot to know that even one person listened all the way through, so thank you!

I think “how to feel more connected with Chinese people” is going to be a running theme throughout the Podcast, whether it’s an explicit topic of conversation or not. We touched upon it on our recorded-but-not-yet-published podcast on learning the Chinese and it’s just such a relevant part of being a foreigner here. First and foremost, we want this podcast to be a useful and hopefully insightful resource for foreigners in Chengdu, and there’s no way around talking about our place in the local culture.

As you might be able to tell, we know there are areas which we can improve upon. It’s a bit of a work in progress. That said, beyond content and topic ideas, we have lots of ideas that we’re excited to implement… things like mixing up the panel, increasing the fidelity with some better gear, experimenting with different ways to use the audio, and some other things.

We hope you’ll stick with us as we explore different ideas and continue to give us useful feedback.

Keymaster

Thanks for the feedback, to address your points specifically:

have each speaker at least say hey/hello when being introduced at the beginning. I only knew Dan was speaking because I’d met him before.

Good suggestion, we will do this.

I would’ve liked to have heard more about the effects (if any) of having the Smart Airs in your homes. Do you notice a difference, how often are you changing the filters, do you run them all the time (which I think Eli mentioned) etc. I’m planning to buy a couple when I get back.

To answer this question: the SmartAir (or any filter) really makes a big difference. You can tell by breathing, but we have used devices to measure pm2.5 levels and they are much lower with a filter running. SmartAir suggests changing filters every 140 days, so that’s what I do. The filters will turn really black well before that. I run mine about 12 hours a day, I have them set to start/stop based on when I am at home and when I’m at my office.

More Respro discussion would’ve been appreciated too; I haven’t been too happy with mine in my brief experience (hard to get a comfortable fit, condensation(?) makes me feel like my nose is running down my chin).

This is very normal, it takes a few weeks to get used to it. I hated mine at first, but that was about a year ago. Now I’m very comfortable in it and it doesn’t bother me at all. I find that I breathe a little bit differently with it on, mostly through my mouth. You get used to it.

I wish the last 5 minutes of the cast would’ve been expanded as one of my friends/colleagues and I have recently been asking ‘how do we get/feel more connected with Chinese?’ to Chinese people and haven’t got a good answer beyond learn Mandarin. I’ll be the first to admit I need to hit the books harder as you mentioned, but then what?

Each person will have different ways to connect. It can be through friends or a hobby you have, a school you attend, or through a job that you hold. For me, I produced music with a local rapper for a few years, spent a lot of time in Chinese clubs as a DJ, lived with Chinese roommates, etc.

I’ve talked with several expats who’ve gotten into the business side of Chengdu, and as that’s something I’d love to do eventually it would be great to hear about how they got started, pitfalls, successes and so on. And you guys mentioned having a Chinese guest, I think that would make a big difference in a good way.

This is hugely of interest to us as well. We will have plenty of content along these lines. There are some interviews here with expats doing business locally, too.

Participant

Thanks guys, keep up the good work!

Participant

I listened to both podcasts earlier today. Great job guys. You should do it more often. I would love to be a guest on there someday 😀

Participant

Enjoyed the podcast.  Typically with programs like this if I put it on and find myself following it throughout its entirety than I think it fares well in terms of quality of content.

Definitely looking to future installments of this, especially if you diversified and talked about any number of things, say for instance stories focusing on strange coincidences or situations in which you’ve been helped in some profound way.

I haven’t been too happy with mine in my brief experience (hard to get a comfortable fit, condensation(?) makes me feel like my nose is running down my chin).

We sell them and to be honest there’s no way to make peace with equipment that serves a purpose like Respro.  Breathing should be the most natural, mindless process.  Wearing a mask is a reminder of the risks of the environment.

I won’t claim they’re so comfortable you won’t notice them but for the purpose (active aerobic exercise) they are far more functional than the competition.  Totobobo is like putting a plastic cup on your face and breathing through a straw and other choices, like 3M and the ones you pick up at 7-11 feel flimsy, fit poorly and don’t provide a proper seal which eliminates the purpose of a mask.

Then add to that the list of Taobao knockoffs and other cheap alternatives.  It’s can be a nuisance to wear but after riding for several hours on a grey day I’m always pleased to take it off and be cough-free.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.