Ron Artest Coming to Chengdu

HomeForumsIn ChengduRon Artest Coming to Chengdu

• This topic has 23 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Avatar photoAM.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I don’t know if the subject has already been discussed, but as a fan of NBA basketball, it’s got my knickers in a happy bunch: Metta World Peace aka Ron Artest aka top five historically weirdest NBA players, is coming to Chengdu to play for the local Sichuan Blue Whales CBA basketball team. Oh, and he’s changing his name. To “Panda Friend”.

http://www.dimemag.com/2014/08/report-metta-world-peace-will-change-name-panda-friend-china/

Por favor. Indulge.

Participant

Participant

Think he’s throwing up “west side” in this one…

Keymaster

Hahaha – Ron Artest changed his name to world piece? What a nut.

This is exciting news, but how long do you think he’ll last in the CBA?

Also, any idea why the local team is called Blue Whales? We’re thousands of miles from the ocean.

Participant

WHERE DO THE BLUE WHALES SELL THEIR JERSEYS?

Participant

The mans eccentric to say the least. Hopefully he lasts more than a year, it’d be fun to see him out at the Chengdu clubs mackin on the locals. No idea why they’re called the Blue Whales. You can buy their jerseys online, but just Tshirt jerseys and the logo isn’t too 好看. I will be plundering the resale shops for his old Chicago jersey though before I come back.

And yeah, he changed his name to Metta World Peace a few years ago and now he’s going to change it to Panda Friend because you know, the man just loves himself a cute cuddly panda. And really who can blame him.

Participant

A few years back he admitted to drinking Hennessy at the half times of games as a rookie. He said it was because the bulls lost so often.

Participant

That’s pretty awesome haha…where are games played? I’d go see him.

Participant

Sichuan Gymnasium. Don’t know when the season starts though.

Keymaster

The schedule for this upcoming season isn’t out yet, is it? Never been to a CBA game before but now I finally have a reason to.

Participant

Blue Whale is the name of their sponsor. I believe World Peace is only here for a few months. I also believe he has been instructed to “take it easy and don’t dominate games to an absurd degree”. Anyway, this is a pretty big coup for the Blue Whales to get this guy.

Keymaster

Blue Whale is the name of their sponsor. I believe World Peace is only here for a few months. I also believe he has been instructed to “take it easy and don’t dominate games to an absurd degree”. Anyway, this is a pretty big coup for the Blue Whales to get this guy.

I read that he’ll be here for a season and is getting paid $1.5 million. Definitely a big coup for the local team. Of the rotating cast of NBA players perpetually coming to China for a single season, Ron Artest seems like pretty much the most entertaining character you could ask for.

Participant

The schedule for this upcoming season isn’t out yet, is it? Never been to a CBA game before but now I finally have a reason to.

I think the season starts in November. We can help out purchasing tickets, if there is a big group, so we can sit together.

Keymaster

I think the season starts in November. We can help out purchasing tickets, if there is a big group, so we can sit together.

We should definitely do that. I’m going to start thinking of sign ideas for Ron Artest (aka World Peace aka The Panda Friend) right now.

Keymaster

WHERE DO THE BLUE WHALES SELL THEIR JERSEYS?

I have begun the search for these. These can be customized but don’t quite look like the authentic jersey and then there are these which apparently can’t be customized but are legit. I would have expected Panda Friend jerseys to be easily available by now.

Participant

The opening game of the season is this Sunday at 7.35pm at Sichuan Gymnasium. The Sichuan Blue Whales will take on the Xinjiang Flying Tigers.

Tickets aren’t cheap for this game a1 120rmb (it’s one of the six premium games this season with the rest of the regular season games priced at 90rmb). Perhaps it will be possible to pick up tickets cheaper outside on the night.

At the Clubhouse we are planning a bit of a basketball day. We’ll have NBA TV showing the previous nights games and NBA Live 15 on the xbox before and after the game. We hope we can all go in a group to watch The Panda’s Friend make his CBA debut.

If you are interested in coming along let us know so we can get the tickets ordered. We will be creating a Weixin group specifically for this event (add us, id -TheClubhouse) but will also monitor this thread.

Thanks

The Clubhouse

Keymaster

The opening game of the season is this Sunday at 7.35pm at Sichuan Gymnasium. The Sichuan Blue Whales will take on the Xinjiang Flying Tigers. Tickets aren’t cheap for this game a1 120rmb (it’s one of the six premium games this season with the rest of the regular season games priced at 90rmb). Perhaps it will be possible to pick up tickets cheaper outside on the night. At the Clubhouse we are planning a bit of a basketball day. We’ll have NBA TV showing the previous nights games and NBA Live 15 on the xbox before and after the game. We hope we can all go in a group to watch The Panda’s Friend make his CBA debut. If you are interested in coming along let us know so we can get the tickets ordered. We will be creating a Weixin group specifically for this event (add us, id -TheClubhouse) but will also monitor this thread. Thanks The Clubhouse

Interested, and I have at least a handful of friends that I’m certain are interested also. I’ll hit you up on Weixin.

Panda shoes. Tape over nike logos on unsanctioned shoes. Advertisements for instant noodles on their jerseys. This league is a fucking joke.

I’m in.

Keymaster

Panda shoes. Tape over nike logos on unsanctioned shoes. Advertisements for instant noodles on their jerseys. This league is a fucking joke. I’m in.

Well put. I will just drop this actual photo of Ron Artest’s shoes here. Sorry, The Panda’s Friend.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 24 total)
  • The forum ‘In Chengdu’ is closed to new topics and replies.