Motorcycle & Air Purifier Questions

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionMotorcycle & Air Purifier Questions

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hello!

Air Purifier
    I read so many things about the air quality in Chengdu, is it really becoming that bad ?
    Is it that necessary to buy an air purifier for at home? I thought the west of China has good air quality when you compare it to the North and East of China..

Motorcycle/E-bike
    Is it possible for a foreigner to drive these things with the driver’s license from their home country? I also have an international driver’s license so don’t know if it really counts in China. How’s the traffic like in Chengdu? Are there a lot of places you can visit with a bike that public transport/a car cannot take you? What is the general cost to buy one?

Keymaster

Hi Karim,

Hello! Air Purifier I read so many things about the air quality in Chengdu, is it really becoming that bad ? Is it that necessary to buy an air purifier for at home? I thought the west of China has good air quality when you compare it to the North and East of China..

Yeah, it’s worth it to have one at home. If you don’t want to spend a lot of money, read this and get one of these. The pollution in Chengdu is sometimes less severe than places like Beijing and sometimes worse – the conditions are always changing. Basically, all major cities in China are polluted with a few exceptions, and you would most likely want an air filter in most of those.

Motorcycle/E-bike Is it possible for a foreigner to drive these things with the driver’s license from their home country? I also have an international driver’s license so don’t know if it really counts in China. How’s the traffic like in Chengdu? Are there a lot of places you can visit with a bike that public transport/a car cannot take you? What is the general cost to buy one?

You need a Chinese motorcycle license for a motorcycle but you don’t need a license for an e-bike. An international driver’s license is useless here. An e-bike won’t get you anywhere that a car or taxi won’t, and the cost varies from 1,500 – 3,000+ rmb for an e-bike I believe (not 100% certain, never had one).

Hope this helps.

Participant

RE: motorcycle – I drive my mini bike, and the 2 police that have mistakenly stopped me over the course of the year never gave any trouble – they find it amusing, some ask how much or how fast I can go, etc. I also drive it to the police station when I need to get my residence registry papers or whatever and park it with all their police bikes in line. It is one of my most valued purchases in China, it’s *fast* and *small*, drive it into my elevator and park it at my door, super cheap transportation and most importantly, fast, driving to work takes 30min, mini takes me about 12 (Ikea to Software park E section). For a ‘real bike’ or full sized motorbike, Charlie’s right, however you can use your foreign/int’l license to easily get a motorbike license here in an afternoon should you choose to. ebikes typically max out at 30-40km/h..but have the convenience of being easy to get and relatively cheap, they also get stolen -a lot-, with or without battery in it.

You’ll want to figure out where you live, where you’ll work, where you’ll want to go, and sort out transportation based on those factors – motorbikes are great if you’re outside of the city centre.. if you’re in the city centre or near work, just get a bicycle and taxi when you need to.

Is it that necessary to buy an air purifier for at home?

Short answer: Yes. Dust will snow you under every few days.

Motorcycle/E-bike

Random side note, but I just read this week that Chengdu is about to limit e-bikes to 15km/h speed limit. This is hilarious on all levels.

Keymaster

Random side note, but I just read this week that Chengdu is about to limit e-bikes to 15km/h speed limit. This is hilarious on all levels.

Too funny. It will probably work out just like the ban on public smoking.

Participant

Chengdu is about to limit e-bikes to 15km/h speed limit

I think it is already limited to 15kmph “officially”, I read that a while ago..

Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Brendan wrote:</div>

Too funny. It will probably work out just like the ban on public smoking.

Might as well go for a long run if its limited to 15 km/h…

Keymaster

Might as well go for a long run if its limited to 15 km/h…

Selectively ignoring certain laws (and rules) is quintessential Mainland China. Electric scooters are certainly not restricted to 15 km/h in actual practice.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.