Moving to Chengdu

HomeForumsIn ChengduMoving to Chengdu

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi I’m hoping to accept a job as an English tutor at Chengdu college in September. This will be my first time in China and my first postgraduate job so I’m pretty nervous! Can anyone advise me on what it’s like to live in Chengdu from another foreigners perspective? I spent last summer in India and it was a little daunting as a young female traveller so I’m wondering whether to expect the same from my time in Chengdu. Also can any of you recommend any where to hang out in my spare time? Such as bars or cafés where there is a good mix of Asians and westerners, I’m actually staying in a rural area so it would be nice to meet a wider range of people during my stay.

any advice will definitely ease my anxiety!

thanks in advance!

Participant

Guys wont be creeps if thats what you are really asking. Old or countryside people might stare a lot but I’ve never had a Chinese guy pass my boundaries. Its very safe to be a woman here. You can walk alone at night, take the taxi, etc. My personal experience is you are way more likely to end up in a fucked up situation with other foreigners. I’m reading your post as ore about sexual harrassment so forgive me if I’m off topic. I will let every one else chime in on their favorite places. It might be good if you say what you like to do & then we can recommend something specific.

Participant

This:

Participant

from personal experience a female foreigner just stay away from dark alleys at night alone (even if itsonly 9pm!)and if u travel alone from like trains and buses watch urself too if u r alone. but for the most part chengdu is pretty safe.

Participant

Well its very safe here, up to the point i have to go to Chengdu ghettos to find a fight. And i don’t always succeed. As for hanging out, im a wrong person to ask but there are a number of well known points for laowai to hang out, so its hardly a prob.

Be advised though that Chengdu is known for beautiful girls, not men 🙂

Local food will kill you though.

Keymaster

Hi I’m hoping to accept a job as an English tutor at Chengdu college in September. This will be my first time in China and my first postgraduate job so I’m pretty nervous! Can anyone advise me on what it’s like to live in Chengdu from another foreigners perspective?

As everyone has already said, Chengdu is exceptionally safe. You could walk through the worst neighborhood in Chengdu at night and probably have no issue. Basically only crime you have to worry about are things like bicycle theft and pickpockets.

I spent last summer in India and it was a little daunting as a young female traveller so I’m wondering whether to expect the same from my time in Chengdu.

No way, India is far more chaotic. China is a sea of tranquility by comparison, especially Chengdu, which is famous for being a laid back mega city.

Also can any of you recommend any where to hang out in my spare time? Such as bars or cafés where there is a good mix of Asians and westerners, I’m actually staying in a rural area so it would be nice to meet a wider range of people during my stay.

There are tons of places to check out in Chengdu, I will just leave this link and suggest you browse around and see what strikes you: Chengdu Places

Participant

From a girl point of view, I agree with everything that has been said before. Sent you a PM.

Participant

This:

<iframe src=”http://www.youtube.com/embed/x5I9TWMA4U8?feature=oembed&#8221; allowfullscreen=”” frameborder=”0″ height=”375″ width=”500″></iframe>

Naughty pandas! No wonder they’re locked up in a “research centre”!

Hi, almbrown,

I’m also starting a job as an English tutor in September and it will be my first time also in China. Although I’m excited about the prospect, I’m mostly relying on these lovely people here frmo the forum to show me the way to the EDGE OF THE CLIFF :p Hopefully it’s going to be fine.

Participant

Maz, the worst that can happen is you get deported, impregnate someone and have a girlfriend who wants to marry you. :p You guys will be fine. Do bring around $1000 (at least) starter money though, that will ensure you are better than fine.

Participant

Lol! Yes, that’s about as worse as it gets. I’ll make sure I be a good boy.

Do bring around $1000 (at least) starter money though, that will ensure you are better than fine.

I’m already on that and some more indeeeed.

Participant

@almbrown

Go to The Spot!! Always a healthy population of foreigners there , students and business people alike.

Chengdu is a lot more developed and foreigner-friendly than most places in India. I’d actually say there are more foreign creepers here than Chinese creepers, like other people have said, you’re going to be safe here unless you go looking for trouble.

Participant

Hi almbrown,Hi guys..how r u?….hope to be fine.. also new in chengdu. …hope to make new friendships and enjoy our time there i will come in first of September what about general ife there ??

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘In Chengdu’ is closed to new topics and replies.