Multimedia Gangsta Rap + Mixtape

HomeForumsIn ChengduMultimedia Gangsta Rap + Mixtape

• This topic has 16 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Avatar photoMaz.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

2/27/15 edit: this event has come and gone, but scroll down for a video recorded with footage from the event.

This Saturday at NASA we’re doing a multimedia show with DJs and VJs with the theme of gangsta rap. Artists like: N.W.A., Ice T, Notorious B.I.G., KRS One. I’m from DC and Jovian is from SF so both coasts will be represented. PLGRM from Boston on the thematic visuals. Mixtape and more below.

I recorded a mixtape years ago with the same theme called Marked 4 Death that is similar, you can listen to that here: Download Marked 4 Death. The cover art and tracklist:

1. Everyone’s a Target Intro
    2. Too $hort – The Ghetto
    3. Mobb Deep – Survival of the Fittest / Hell on Earth
    4. Deda – Marked4Death
    5.. Notorious BIG – Who Shot Ya
    6. Warren G – Regulate
    7. 2Pac – Hit Em Up
    8. Dr. Dre – Natural Born Killaz
    9. Saigon – War (Remix)
    10. Scarface – I Seen a Man Die
    11. Eazy-e – Boyz N the Hood
    12. Clipse – Virginia
    13. Coolio – Gangsta’s Paradise
    14. Ice Cube – Amerikkka’s Most Wanted
    15. Cypress Hill – How I Could Just Kill a Man
    16. N.W.A. – Straight Outta Compton
    17. UGK – Die One Day

Lastly, some visualizations: PLGRM on Youku

See you on Saturday!

Participant

The mixtape was dope. I would like to point out that the East is sorely underrepresented without Wu Tang

Participant

Where’s NASA?

Participant

19th floor of Poly Center. Just follow the smell of dank.

Keymaster

The mixtape was dope. I would like to point out that the East is sorely underrepresented without Wu Tang

Thanks man, there are so many more artists I would have liked to include:

• Schoolly D
    • Snoop
    • Anything off Reasonable Doubt or The Chronic (which is what this flyer design is referencing btw)
    • Bone Thugs
    • Three Six Mafia
    • Gucci

In the end, it was basically just a collection of some of my favorite tracks in this genre, most of which were picked because they specifically deal with urban hustle themes. I added a lot of movie samples and sound FX from some of my favorite movies in the genre (King of New York is one of my favorite movies of all time, also Don’t Be a Menace).

If you’re coming on Saturday, hit me with any requests.

19th floor of Poly Center. Just follow the smell of dank.

Yup. Exit the elevator on 19F and turn right, NASA is on the left. You will probably hear it before you see it.

Keymaster

I have drink tickets to NASA. Post here and I’ll give you 60rmb worth for free.

I’ll be there. hook it up!

Participant

Damn, wish I could’ve made this one. Will check out the mix tape.

Thugginest party I’ve been to in Chengdu. Big ups to everyone who put it together. When’s that video footage gonna drop?

Keymaster

This event was amazing, thanks to everyone who came. The next one is in March.

Thugginest party I’ve been to in Chengdu. Big ups to everyone who put it together. When’s that video footage gonna drop?

In a few days I think. We got hours of footage.

Keymaster

In the meantime, here is my playlist from the evening: Thuggin 2/7 @ NASA Playlist

Keymaster

The VJs who performed at this show (PLGRM) made a short video with footage from this event:

https://vimeo.com/120600753

Participant

Watched this a few days ago. Awesome Ice Cube-directed doco on the LA/Oakland Raiders football teams and the influence of the emerging gangster rap culture. Features interviews with Ice T, Dre and Snoop as well as footage of L.A burning after the Rodney King riots.
    (VPN needed)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKwUoFpkQrA

Keymaster

Watched this a few days ago. Awesome Ice Cube-directed doco on the LA/Oakland Raiders football teams and the influence of the emerging gangster rap culture. Features interviews with Ice T, Dre and Snoop as well as footage of L.A burning after the Rodney King riots. (VPN needed)

Great, I will watch this. Have you seen the trailer for the NWA biopic Straight Outta Compton? Looks real good:

Participant

The NWA movie is an actual feature? I thought it’s a documentary. I was only made aware of its existence after the latest news about Suge Knight when he got into some sort of trouble, can’t remember what it was. They mentioned in the report that he had been at the set of Straight Outta Compton.

I checked out info about it on IMDb. Should be interesting to see how the actors do, especially Cube’s son! Will watch it for nostalgic purposes. We still await the Tupac biopic 😀 That one could fail on launch and might never be made.

Keymaster

The NWA movie is an actual feature?

Yeah, it’s a $25 million feature film. Looks like it could be a really good film from the trailer. I love these type of movies though, recently I’ve been watching a lot of movies in this style from the same era (early 1990’s): New Jack City, Deep Cover, Menace II Society, Boyz N the Hood, etc.

Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Maz wrote:</div>
    The NWA movie is an actual feature?

Yeah, it’s a $25 million feature film. Looks like it could be a really good film from the trailer. I love these type of movies though, recently I’ve been watching a lot of movies in this style from the same era (early 1990’s): New Jack City, Deep Cover, Menace II Society, Boyz N the Hood, etc.

Holy chit! 25 mil? Cool.

Haven’t seen Menace II Society yet. I tried to download it the other day, but failed. Could also be worth watching CB4 while you’re in the zone.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • The forum ‘In Chengdu’ is closed to new topics and replies.