Music Recording Opportunities

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionMusic Recording Opportunities

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Participant

i’m trying to get a feel of the current scene. i have experience in both freelancing and studio work in chengdu, although both weren’t flattering. The freelancing experience was 1-2 mic’s for a singer-songwriter and another time for a rapper. The studio work was at RYE Music, and was voiceover / sound effect work for iPad apps. The studio was impressive, having nice gear a’plenty and a large live room, but I think it’s now shutdown (anyone verify that?). The other large studio i saw was Flying Music Studio and it seemed most of their work was tibetan music, which was basically a vocalist over digital compositions of tibetan instruments/harmonies.

I’m not opposed to recording/mixing any of the music mentioned, however if I bring out a large stash of recording equipment from america (returning to CD in late september), it’d be nice to fully use it for a creative band looking for a clean semi-professional recording. however, i’m not sure that exists in chengdu. even finding a good quiet live room is a bit of a challenge.

i’d love to hear any stories/opinions/leads on freelance or studio work around the city. i’m university educated in this field, have a bachelors in audio engineering, and i’m at least bringing my apogee duet with 2 mic’s back to china, so i can be capable of recording any voice work someone would want.

cheers

Participant

I’ve done a bit of recording here (some singing, voice overs and random narrating for games). I would say I know quite a few expats (DJs and musicians) who would be into a good recording studio that’s not super expensive. There’s also a lot of freelance stuff you can do if you get into recording sounds for games or audio books/etc. You would probably need a Chinese secretary and to socialize a lot but if you were willing to give it 2 years you could probably build a good reputation and a decent amount of work. Dont expect to live off it immediately. As for location, I’d recommend any of the older office buildings downtown and work after noons and evenings. thats what almost every studio I’ve worked with here does (5 of them so far). you can also sound proof the room a bit more but timing helps a lot.

Keymaster

There’s a lot of audio-related freelance work in a few industries in Chengdu, certainly in the gaming industry which is what I work in. We were outsourcing so much audio production that we created a small internal department for this, although it’s currently very rudimentary. There’s also a lot of work in movie and television production industries, both for music production and voice recording. I would imagine that band-related work would be less stable since most bands in Chengdu tend to be broke and sort of struggling. You could continue working with rappers, there are a few who are reaching a pretty wide audience now (especially Fat Shady).

Participant

Hi Charlie,

Could you put me in touch with few of these recording studios. I’m an English voice actor.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.