New Xiaomi Air Filter, 900rmb

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionNew Xiaomi Air Filter, 900rmb

• This topic has 17 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Avatar photoBen.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

Someone sent me a link to this today: ???????

Needless to say, this looks amazing. I have been very happy with Smart Air filters, but this is definitely next level, in both functionality and price.

I found them for sale on Taobao for 900rmb here. When I get mine, I will post a review here.

Participant

Looks good. Curious about the noise factor & temperature of the air expelled..and how strong the feeling of air is being pumped out. Also curious about the cost of replacement filters and what type of filters they are (ie. carbon filters?)

Keymaster

Looks good. Curious about the noise factor & temperature of the air expelled..and how strong the feeling of air is being pumped out. Also curious about the cost of replacement filters and what type of filters they are (ie. carbon filters?)

Good question, I haven’t heard anything about replacement filters. Everything Mi seems to be competing on price though, I wouldn’t expect them to cost much.

I found them for sale on Taobao for 900rmb here. When I get mine, I will post a review here.

Any updates? My mind has once again turned to considering new air filters due to the hazardous AQI.

Participant

http://search.jd.com/Search?keyword=%E5%B0%8F%E7%B1%B3%E7%A9%BA%E6%B0%94&enc=utf-8

They sell some more expensive versions of what appears to be the same thing on JD now apparently also..review would be wonderful 😀

They sell some more expensive versions of what appears to be the same thing on JD

Sadly they are all 3rd party sellers. If JD were selling them directly then I would just buy one to test.

Keymaster

These all seem to be costing 1,200rmb or so. What gives? Low stock or something? I am ready to get one of these if I can get it under 1k.

If Xiaomi’s distribution model of these is in line with their mobile phones, then the only official place to purchase these will be through their own website. They will only be produced and available in batches, which tend to sell out instantaneously and then marked up for resale by third parties (which is what the ones on JD seem to be).

Looks like you can place a reservation request for one now.

Kind of lame, but their products are looking top notch this year.

Keymaster

If Xiaomi’s distribution model of these is in line with their mobile phones, then the only official place to purchase these will be through their own website. They will only be produced and available in batches, which tend to sell out instantaneously and then marked up for resale by third parties (which is what the ones on JD seem to be). Looks like you can place a reservation request for one now. Kind of lame, but their products are looking top notch this year.

That makes sense. Don’t go on Taobao so that a majority of your customers pay a premium for your product to middlemen on Taobao… looks like there will be no choice here.

Participant

That makes sense. Don’t go on Taobao so that a

It may make sense. In today’s multipurpose company economic model, many businesses look to expand. Apple expands into selling music/movies online and payment processing, maybe Mi plans to expand into online markets and payment processing – so while their products are highly desirable they may intentionally be freezing out these competitors knowing they’ll still sell their capacity worth of whatever they’re pushing…hoping to expand in the future without having to abide by deals which would otherwise hinder them. Who knows..

Keymaster

That makes sense. Don’t go on Taobao so that a

It may make sense. In today’s multipurpose company economic model, many businesses look to expand. Apple expands into selling music/movies online and payment processing, maybe Mi plans to expand into online markets and payment processing – so while their products are highly desirable they may intentionally be freezing out these competitors knowing they’ll still sell their capacity worth of whatever they’re pushing…hoping to expand in the future without having to abide by deals which would otherwise hinder them. Who knows..

But their volume probably isn’t actually being sold by them, it’s being acquired by middlemen and then resold at a premium to the real Xiaomi customers. This is like middlemen standing in line for a limited-availability product and then reselling it at a higher price. This only disservices customers. This kind of thing is common in China, I had to buy my most recent iPhone from one of these middlemen because Apple required you to reserve the device through them, and thousands of the reservations had been taken up by profiteering middlemen like this.

It’s not a huge deal to me, but if Xiaomi cannot keep up with demand, then they create this grey market for their own devices. Otherwise, there’d be no reason to buy on Taobao, you would just order directly from Xiaomi.

Kind of lame, but their products are looking top notch this year.

I agree, they really are. I read an interesting article about Xiaomi today: Xiaomi’s Ambition

Keymaster

I poked around the official website and here’s what I found:

• It’s sold out on their website, but not available in Chengdu right now anyway. It’s in a few pilot cities all on the east coast and Chengdu is not currently on the list
    • Still no information that I can find on how to get replacement filters, when to change them, or how much they cost. On their site you can see a photo of what the filter looks like, it’s a chunky cylindrical filter
    • Still available for around 1,200rmb on Taobao
    • The filter is controllable from the “Xiaomi Smart Router” app which is available on Android and iOS. You can set timers and pre-determined on/off settings, etc.

Picked one of these up from jd.com last week for 899RMB while they had stock. Some observations so far:

– App is only in Chinese, but it is simple to use.

– Filters are 150RMB each and are really easy to change. A lever lowers the filter so that it simply slides out.

– Filter looks like a pre-filter mesh and HEPA. No carbon filter.

– Noise on the lowest 2 settings & night mode are similar to an aircon unit. The highest setting is like a vacuum cleaner!

– It pulls in air from the sides and projects it upwards. Air temperature doesn’t appear to change.

– You can use the app from anywhere. It connects through a xiaomi cloud account. This means you can control and monitor everything remotely.

– You can turn on the PM2.5 sensor even when the filter is off. I have a baby at home, so this is a great feature for me. I can check the air quality in the bedroom while at work.

– You can set the filter to automatically turn on when the air quality is bad. Turn off when it is good.

– Lights and beeping noises can be turned off.

– Power light also doubles as an air quality indicator.

– Filters last for 145 days. The app tells you when to replace them.

– PM2.5 reading uses the Chinese standard of measurement. This isn’t as critical as the American standard.

– App has an inside reading from the sensor, and an outside reading from your closest monitoring station.

– Already had 2 firmware updates. One fixed a bug which caused the filter to forget some settings when turned off and on.

Will post an update with my personal impressions next week. I have borrowed a PM2.5 sensor from a friend for comparison.

Keymaster

Picked one of these up from jd.com last week for 899RMB while they had stock.

Thanks for the review! Definitely sounds like it’s worth buying. I will be checking JD.com to see when they have stock. The feature where it automatically turns on when air quality drops below a certain level is really nice.

Participant

I’ve been using one for a few months too – really happy with it. Considering getting a 2nd one for another area of the house..

I’ve been using one for a few months too – really happy with it. Considering getting a 2nd one for another area of the house..

It looks like both the machine and replacement filters are now available directly though xiaomi’s website dispatched within a week. No need to enter a stupid lottery system. Assuming I don’t encounter any problems in the next month or so of use, I will be investing in one for our lounge. I like the ability to check our home air quality while at work.

Participant

It looks like both the machine and replacement filters are now available directly though xiaomi’s website

I picked mine up at the start of April from jd.com also – delivered next day, but maybe availability has been inconsistent… so far no problems at all. One thing about filters – the app monitors suggested replacement and seems to allow you to buy them directly from within the app, but I think you need to set up a mi account or something in order to do so, haven’t really played with that feature yet. Seems the iOS version says use the website, but that suggests if you’ve an Android version maybe you can just one click buy or something?

Also, my app is in English, just the FAQ type content is still in Chinese…config settings etc English, though..

I picked mine up at the start of April from jd.com also – delivered next day, but maybe availability has been inconsistent… so far no problems at all.

I checked yesterday before posting and they were out of stock. They have more stock today along with a price hike of 30RMB.

if you’ve an Android version maybe you can just one click buy or something?

The android version has a tab dedicated to the xiaomi store. It is very similar in presentation to the jd.com app.

Also, my app is in English, just the FAQ type content is still in Chinese…config settings etc English, though..

The android app is Chinese only. For non-Chinese readers this doesn’t present a problem in day to day use as all the basic controls have icons depicting their function. However, some help may be needed in the beginning to configure it. I had to ask my wife what a couple of the settings were.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.