Painting Tattoo Flash in Chengdu

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionPainting Tattoo Flash in Chengdu

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi all, just wondering if anyone else is interested in painting traditional tattoo flash here?  I love it but it would be cool to meet people who can hang out, have a few drinks and paint together.

Add me on wechat if you’re interested, andyjc111

Keymaster

Are you an interest from overseas, or are you from China? I’m not an illustrator but I know a lot of tattoo artists in the city.

Participant

G’day mate. I’m a tattoo artist and in looking to move to Changdu in a year. I was keen to find out more about the tattoo cultur in the city. Could you recommend and good artist from there I might be able to talk with. I currently work at Bondi ink in Sydney Australia but my wife’s family are moving over and we thought we might joint them.

If your still there when we get there I would be keen to hook up for a beer and a paint aswell.

Keymaster

G’day mate. I’m a tattoo artist and in looking to move to Changdu in a year. I was keen to find out more about the tattoo cultur in the city. Could you recommend and good artist from there I might be able to talk with. I currently work at Bondi ink in Sydney Australia but my wife’s family are moving over and we thought we might joint them. If your still there when we get there I would be keen to hook up for a beer and a paint aswell.

I would be happy to introduce you to some tattoo artists here. Most of them speak little English but there are some skilled tattoo artists here now, which is a new development in the last 3-4 years.

Participant

Great Charlie. Thanks for that. I would love a introduction to the tattooing

community over there. How did us want to do that? Also here is my portfolio. Check it out  and let me know what ha think

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/JohnBalestriTattoos

My email is [email protected]
    Participant

I was actually wondering if anyone knew of an English-speaking artist at a clean studio. I’m interested in getting a tattoo but I’m worried about the safety and cleanliness standards in China (as opposed to just waiting until next time I’m in the western part of the world). Any recommendations or advice? (This might be better as a whole new thread, but since this thread was already about tattoos…)

Thanks!

Participant

If you’re really concerned about cleanliness insist that the artist use a new needle. Even better, get the model number he/she uses and buy it yourself.
    http://s.taobao.com/search?q=tattoo+needle&commend=all&ssid=s5-e&search_type=mall&sourceId=tb.index&spm=a215z.7106357.5803581.d4908513
    As you can see, they ain’t expensive. Because they’re so cheap, most legit artists here will be happy to oblige you. The professionnalism has improved markedly here in recent years.

Participant

Can anyone recommend a good tattoo artist? Also how much is the going rate for a medium to large tattoo ?

Keymaster

Great Charlie. Thanks for that. I would love a introduction to the tattooing community over there. How did us want to do that? Also here is my portfolio. Check it out and let me know what ha think

Right on, nice work. I’m in Berlin at the moment but I’ll be back in Chengdu next week. I can shoot you contact info for a few shops, but most of them will be WeChat contacts. Email isn’t that popular in China, actually.

I was actually wondering if anyone knew of an English-speaking artist at a clean studio. I’m interested in getting a tattoo but I’m worried about the safety and cleanliness standards in China (as opposed to just waiting until next time I’m in the western part of the world). Any recommendations or advice? (This might be better as a whole new thread, but since this thread was already about tattoos…) Thanks!

If you go to one of the 3-4 most well known shops in the city (which are probably the only ones you will want to go to for quality reasons), I don’t think sanitation will be a problem. Places have gotten a lot more professional in recent years than they used to be. One to check out is Fishbone, I’m not sure if the others speak much English. Language might be a challenge if you don’t speak any Chinese.

Can anyone recommend a good tattoo artist? Also how much is the going rate for a medium to large tattoo ?

The price completely depends on the artist but I think average going price for an hour of work from a skilled artist in Chengdu ranges from 400 – 2,000 rmb per hour.

Participant

Rad Charlie.

Thanks for that. I use WeChat to talk with my family over there. Thanks for all your help. Maybe when I get over there I can give us a tattoo for all your help. Thanks again.

Keymaster

Rad Charlie. Thanks for that. I use WeChat to talk with my family over there. Thanks for all your help. Maybe when I get over there I can give us a tattoo for all your help. Thanks again.

That’s generous of you, thank you. I’m happy to help though, feel free to add me on WeChat, my username is justcharlie.

More & more tattoo artists are appearing in the city, but the one I always recommend above all others is Jasmine at Fandu Tattoo. Her WeChat ID is: hanlujiao

She’s been tattooing in the city for at least 4 years now, with an impressive dedication to her craft. Over the last year or so she’s been honing a water colour technique that’s (as far as I know) unique in the city.

As far as rates go she charges either per hour, or fixed price based on an estimate of the time/ink the piece will take.

Participant

Update on Fishbone Tattoo shop:  I got a piece done there this week and was really impressed.  Shop minimum is 700 RMB for a half hour, and the hourly rate is 1000 RMB.  Both the artists there spoke good English, but were willing to chat in Chinese while working, which I appreciated.  Super clean environment and they gave me some fantastic aftercare cream with vitamins.

Although it’s a bit on the spendy side, I’d highly recommend Fishbone for getting a tattoo in Chengdu.  Tattoos aren’t really something you want to get cheap anyway, since hepatitis is always free!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.