Pictures of Old Chengdu

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionPictures of Old Chengdu

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Found this set of flickr pictures (need VPN) taken in Chengdu back in the early 80’s. If you hover the mouse over the picture it says where it was taken, it’s amazing to see how much places like Niushikou and Jiuyanqiao have changed in 30 years. If you click back to the main gallery the photographer traveled all over China and took pictures in pretty much every major city.

Keymaster

Amazing photos, and while some areas have changed dramatically, some things haven’t changed at all. The photo with the guy getting a shave in the alley looks like a scene that you still see in Chengdu today. There are some small details which are also very interesting: the same traffic dividers (painted differently) are still used today and the billboards looked way cooler in the early 1980’s.

Wow. Those billboard artworks are beautiful. Now we have a compilation of men in suits, plastic surgery ads, wealth empowerment hokum, and real estate drivel. Go progress!!

Keymaster

Wow. Those billboard artworks are beautiful. Now we have a compilation of men in suits, plastic surgery ads, wealth empowerment hokum, and real estate drivel. Go progress!!

That was one of my first thoughts also. They had an actual, legitimate artistic aesthetic back then.

That was one of my first thoughts also. They had an actual, legitimate artistic aesthetic back then.

Totally. You can immediately see whomever was creating those things was taking pride (and time) in their work.

Participant

Yeah… This set made me a sad panda, China sure had a touch back then.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.