Pizza Mandolino & Mike's Pizza Kitchen

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionPizza Mandolino & Mike's Pizza Kitchen

• This topic has 98 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Avatar photoDan.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 99 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Well I heard some decent things about Pizza Mandolino, so last night I gave it a try. I give it 2-2.5 stars out of 5. Overpriced, tiny portions, not great atmosphere, overall very disappointing. For 251 RMB we had a caesar salad, bruschetta, lasagna, and breaded chicken. The Caesar salad was unlike any of the countless caesar salads I ever had growing up in the USA. The bruschetta was a miniature representation of bruschetta with 2 very fresh pieces of bread topped with a few tomatoes, onions, and vinaigrette. The lasagna was a single piece for 79 RMB (although pretty good) with 0 sides and the breaded chicken was 2 meager thin slices with a side of 9 french fries.

When i see an Italian restauranteur with this whole background story in the menu milling about the place I expect authenticity and taste. If the portions and food were good, I wouldn’t mind the price, but for 40$ USD I can eat way better back home. Oh yea, and there were Chinese singers performing tasteless English songs ALL NIGHT – not a peaceful place for conversation either. The place was pretty busy, although it was Saturday night, but this just means the restaurant will feel little motivation to change, unless they read posts like this!

What are other folks’ opinion of this place? Where do you like to eat Italian in Chengdu?

Participant

You’re totally right, the place is not worth it, though if you get their big pizza which is 270/4~65pp it’s actually manageable and tastes pretty good. Pizzawise, since Le Sud got sinified, Mike’s is the best for price/taste in Chengdu http://www.mikespizzakitchen.com but it’s definitely an American pizza. There’s also grappas in the shopping mall next to ikea which is also somewhat overpriced but to a lesser extent and a couple of other italian places dotted around but nothing to rave about. Not sure if it’s up your alley, but there’s a great Spanish place which i’ve been going to for my Mediterranean fix at least once a week: Parador – Ziwei Dong Lu – great food, good cocktails and well priced.

Keymaster

I like Mike’s Pizza Kitchen best, by a long shot. I went to Pizza Mandolino a few months ago when a friend was DJ’ing there. The place was dead and looks to be straddling a bizarre line between being a foreign and Chinese establishment. At least with Le Sud and Mike’s Pizza Kitchen it’s obvious that they’re run and managed by foreigners who do it “the foreign way”, which is what I want when it comes to Western food.

Participant

Could it be a faux foreign owned place all together? With that many foreign faces milling about behind the bar I guess not but there definitely has to be an ongoing struggle between the Italian and the Chinese management which left that place caught in some sort of a nasty cultural limbo.

Keymaster
    Quote:
    Could it be a faux foreign owned place all together? With that many foreign faces milling about behind the bar I guess not but there definitely has to be an ongoing struggle between the Italian and the Chinese management which left that place caught in some sort of a nasty cultural limbo.

Exactly. Judging by my experience there, I think that is pretty likely.

Participant

Sardine Pizza is a good place. Wayy cheaper than Mikes. The quality of the sauce in Sardine Pizza (Sardine or Sardina?) is meh, but they do not skimp on the toppings. Also its in Tibetan town, support their cause?

An Italian Restaurant that serves Caesar’s salad and breaded chicken should be avoided at any cost.

Participant

Well it is in the local part of tonziling… so…

Pizza Mandolino is the best Italian restaurant in Chengdu. Opened a few months ago and has suffered minor errors of youth. But in a few months was able to meet the tastes of the Chinese and of hundreds of foreigners in Chengdu. I attend Pizza Mandolino frequently, the 80% of customers are Chinese, and that says a lot about knowledge doing business in Chengdu. I’m Italian and if I want eat pizza, pasta or meats I have no doubt to choose Pizza mandolino.

Pizza Mandolino is the best Italian restaurant in Chengdu. Opened a few months ago and has suffered minor errors of youth. But in a few months was able to meet the tastes of the Chinese and of hundreds of foreigners in Chengdu. I attend Pizza Mandolino frequently, the 80% of customers are Chinese, and that says a lot about knowledge doing business in Chengdu. I’m Italian and if I want eat pizza, pasta or meats I have no doubt to choose Pizza mandolino.

Participant

if you go to Pizza Mandolino, get the pizza. Stop and save yourself from all it’s other foods. Pizza Mandolino = Only for Pizza.

I would like to try out The Boutique in Shangrila, but otherwise I think Grappa’s is fine.

Participant

if you go to Pizza Mandolino, get the pizza. Stop and save yourself from all it’s other foods. Pizza Mandolino = Only for Pizza.

I would like to try out The Boutique in Shangrila, but otherwise I think Grappa’s is fine.

I really think you never go to Pizza Mandolino. They have the best steaks in Chengdu…. Amazing Tbone of 1kg!!!!. Grappa and Boutique are overprice and quality is not good. Before post something try before.

Mandolino have really good quality and reasonable prices. Pizza for them is just to attract people. Mandolino is the real Italian restaurant, very native. Good place to spend time with friends.

I really think you never go to Pizza Mandolino. They have the best steaks in Chengdu…. Amazing Tbone of 1kg!!!!. Grappa and Boutique are overprice and quality is not good. Before post something try before.

Mandolino have really good quality and reasonable prices. Pizza for them is just to attract people. Mandolino is the real Italian restaurant, very native. Good place to spend time with friends.

many people make confusion between an american Pub and one RESTAURANT. Please….

many people make confusion between an american Pub and one RESTAURANT. Please….

Participant

I went there and the food was good. The boss was cool and there was a blonde girl singing. She’s a funny one, but it was cool. I agree that the portions weren’t big enough for my fat ass, and having to drop huge cash on that made me cringe. but the parma ham was BANGIN! and so when the bill came, i just paid and burped. Like a true American. havent been there in a while though. And yes, def China financed, which can be a bad thing, but not always.

Participant

I went there and the food was good. The boss was cool and there was a blonde girl singing. She’s a funny one, but it was cool. I agree that the portions weren’t big enough for my fat ass, and having to drop huge cash on that made me cringe. but the parma ham was BANGIN! and so when the bill came, i just paid and burped. Like a true American. havent been there in a while though. And yes, def China financed, which can be a bad thing, but not always.

I also saw the blond girl ….. I do not think it’s funny … only sexy!!!! ^ __ ^

Yes Nino the boss is cool and very helpful..

I also saw the blond girl ….. I do not think it’s funny … only sexy!!!! ^ __ ^

Yes Nino the boss is cool and very helpful..

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 99 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.