Places to Experience Chinese New Year

HomeForumsIn ChengduPlaces to Experience Chinese New Year

• This topic has 14 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Avatar photoAM.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi there, this will be the first year that we will stay in Chengdu for at least part of the Chinese new year holiday. I would like to take my family someplace where we can see something of how the Chinese celebrate new year (apart from going to their family homes and eat). Are there any shows or feasts or parades we could go watch?

Participant

You can just stay in Chengdu. Jingli is bound to have couple events, as are other places like it. Also while traveling inside china during Chinese new year is an unforgettable experience, its the kind of experience you probably wouldn’t want.

Still, if you insist – Chongqing is the closest for some major activities to see, and close enough so that going there wont drive you crazy.

Participant

Thanks! I meant we will stay in Chengdu, I don’t plan to travel anywhere in China! Jingli is a good idea. Any other tips for things happening in Chengdu? Is there an event list somewhere?

Participant

The few times I’ve been stuck in Chengdu during the CNY, I haven’t noticed anything special going on — typically the streets were like, empty, shops all closed etc, and people sometimes outside blowing stuff up and launching gigantic shouldn’t-be-legal-for-all fireworks that could down aircraft..

I strongly suggest being careful where you take small ones, I’d be so worried about some of those giant fireworks being irresponsibly lit far too close to where my babies were, being faulty, and causing some permanent damage.

Oh, if you know of any grave sites, I think it’s the 3rd day where families visit the tombstones with photos on them and put fruit, cigarettes, incense, etc. And of course blow everything they can up. At least in those areas, they have big cement bins where the firecrackers are (usually) tossed…but again, with so much firecrackers, the air is *thick* with gunpowdery scented fog..but still might be interesting to see the typical offerings & prayer process.

Participant

Kim,

I am not sure about a list, but would love to get my hands on one as well. I can tell you that last year I ended up at Tazishan Park for the New Year,  and about fifteen minutes into it we couldn’t see much with the pollution level.  I live around second ring and we couldn’t see really anything that evening either from our roof. The best option that we may look into, is finding a place near or just outside third ring. There is a new Crown Plaza out on the West side and am wondering if they will be doing them this year? That is the area I was in three years ago,  and it really was amazing. For hours.

Keymaster

The most fun part of Chinese New Year in Chengdu, in my opinion, is the fireworks. Get onto a rooftop or a place with a vantage point where you can see the city. At midnight on the first night, it’s really amazing. A good place to check out might be the Flair bar inside the Chengdu Ritz Carlton.

Participant

Ok, so: see the fireworks from a high vantage point (our balcony with view on Jiuyanqiao probably will do), is that on the 17th of Feb? And perhaps go to Jingli or Wuhouci areas for some local cultural things but on another day. I don’t know any graveyards but it sounds interesting. I’m not a hero myself when it comes to fireworks so I guess we’ll stay indoors when it is too bad. What about the lantern festival in Jinsha park? Is it on this year?

Participant

Ok, I’ve found this http://www.cometochengdu.com/index.php?app=eventcalendar

Tazishan lantern festival 16 feb – 15 March
    Jinsha lantern festival 17 feb – 8 March
    Wuhouci temple fair 16 feb – 5 March

Seems that there are things to do. But it will be crowded I guess

Keymaster

But it will be crowded I guess

It might not be too bad actually, about half of Chengdu normally clears out during Chinese New Year, to go back to their hometowns. I’ve been to one of those events, I think the Jinsha lantern festival, it’s worth checking out.

Participant

I want to make photo coverage of fireworks. As I remember last year there was only one day with outstanding fireworks. All the other days it was mostly farts-alike. Looking for nice spot suggestions, roofs preferably; since I would like to go for a landscape photo.

Keymaster

I want to make photo coverage of fireworks. As I remember last year there was only one day with outstanding fireworks. All the other days it was mostly farts-alike. Looking for nice spot suggestions, roofs preferably; since I would like to go for a landscape photo.

Midnight on the first night is when there will be the most fireworks, by a long shot. You will definitely want to be on a roof, but I’m not sure which roof is best, actually. I live in Yulin but even from my rooftop, which isn’t very high (7th floor), the view of the fireworks is fantastic. I think pretty much any roof will do as long as it’s not surrounded by taller buildings.

Participant

Charlie, is there access to your roof? I mean is it locked?

Keymaster

Charlie, is there access to your roof? I mean is it locked?

It’s locked by me, but you can come to my rooftop on CNY if you like. Just let me know in advance on Weixin.

Participant

That`s awesome, Charlie! Thank you!

Participant

There were a lot less fireworks than normal last year. Bit of a shame because previous years were crazy for it.

Oh, if you know of any grave sites, I think it’s the 3rd day where families visit the tombstones with photos on them and put fruit, cigarettes, incense, etc. And of course blow everything they can up. At least in those areas, they have big cement bins where the firecrackers are (usually) tossed…but again, with so much firecrackers, the air is *thick* with gunpowdery scented fog..but still might be interesting to see the typical offerings & prayer process.

I’ve done this once or twice but I think most families go 2/3 weeks before CNY now to avoid the rush.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • The forum ‘In Chengdu’ is closed to new topics and replies.