Share Your Favorite Podcasts

HomeForumsGeneral DiscussionShare Your Favorite Podcasts

• This topic has 3 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Avatar photoDan.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I admit, I was/am that person at socials & parties that couldn’t stop talking about “Serial”, (a podcast that had Americans frenzy based on a real murder case of a Korean-American teenage girl Hae Min Lee in Maryland, covering each perspectives with incredibly addicting narration…)I had to moderate my over-sharing with friends and their S.O. who really didn’t give 2 cents but nodded out of respect and spared a smile or two.

I do think though there are some incredibly educational, disturbing, and off-beat podcasts out there that are worth a listen.

I would love to use this space as a way to share and discuss about podcasts people are listening to during commutes, idle hours are work, and of course, during nice bike rides.

Below are my shares:

1. “Undisclosed: State v. Adnan Syed”: A “Serial” spin-off just premiered yesterday and it would be awesome to know who is out there listening and discussing Adnan’s Case! After the finale of Serial which left too many invested and curious about Adnan’s future and the complexities of our justice system, 2 lawyers and a law professor have taken matters into their professional realm to discuss this case.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/04/13/adnan-syed-undisclosed-podcast_n_7057760.html

2. 99% Invisible: All about design and power and influence design has over almost everything we encounter. Add in historical, social, and cultural context and you’ve got pods you can’t believe are real! If you are a fan of P2P, kickstarter model of independent projects, and innovative perspectives: this podcast is worth subscribing to. Check out the founder & host: Roman Mars. He is also the founder of Radiotopia.

Home

3. Sex Nerd Sandra: Curious and confused about all things SEX? From hook-up culture to friends with benefits to female/male orgasms to protection methods to anything you can possibly think of. She’ll have not just answers but a well-rounded discussion with sex experts to demystify, inform, and educate their audience.

http://sexnerdsandra.com/

She also has an awesome youtube channel if you’re more of a visual learner: https://www.youtube.com/user/SexNerdSandra

Neato!

Keymaster

I have heard a couple people rave about Serial. I haven’t actually listened to it, but a plot-driven podcast sounds unlike any that I’ve listened to before. The others I hadn’t heard of. Here are some that I listen to:

1. Sinica Podcast: A weekly discussion of current affairs in China, hosted by Kaiser Kuo and Jeremy Goldkorn. This is our favorite China podcast, and we frequently reference it on the CL Podcast. They frequently feature guests, but the two hosts, Jeremy Goldkorn and Kaiser Kuo, are two of the most knowledgeable people we know of on the subject of China (if Steve Dickinson of China Law Blog started a podcast I would totally listen to that).

A recent episode that I really liked was: Cyber Leninism and the political culture of the Chinese internet

2. The Tim Ferriss Show: the podcast of life hacking author and entrepreneur Tim Ferriss. This is a well-known podcast but I have to recommend it here because he features the best guests of any podcast that I know of. Recent episodes with Matt Mullenweg (founder of WordPress) and Arnold Schwarzenegger have been awesome. Sometimes he goes really out-there, like with a recent podcast called The Psychedelic Explorer’s Guide.

Another recent episode that was really great was Rolf Potts (author of the seminal travel book Vagabonding, which I highly recommend): Rolf Potts on Travel Tactics, Creating Time Wealth, and Lateral Thinking

3. Accidental Tech: Three nerds discussing tech, Apple, programming, and loosely related matters. Created by Marco Arment, a well known NYC-based mobile app developer who made Instapaper and The Magazine on iPad, both of which were acquired. He also made Overcast, which is the best podcast app on iPhone, in my opinion. This podcast is some of the best designers and developers in the mobile apps industry talking about tech and Apple related things mostly, but also recent events and coffee. They are coffee experts.

In the most recent episode (#112) they are discussing the Apple Watch, among other things.

Other podcasts that I listen to irregularly:

• Editor-in-Chief (become a better writer)
    • Inside the Phoenix (behind the scenes in NYC)
    • The James Altucher Show (entrepreneurship)
    • The Joe Rogan Experience (informal chatty discussion)
    • Ninja Tune podcast (legendary UK record label)
    • Reply All (internet)
    • Three Moves Ahead (strategy and war games podcast)
    • Uprooted by Reddit (stories from Reddit founder Alexis Ohanian)
    • We the People with Jesse Ventura (Libertarian views on the news from “The Body”)
    Participant

Chinese Pod!

Essentially a study Chinese podcast. Probably the best study method i’ve used so far.

Quite a few different levels to match existing language ability. Discusses China topics related to living in China in Chinese.

It’s actually a paid subscription that has many features.

But you can find the podcast only online in various places for free.

I’ll second 99% Invisible… great short-form podcast.

I also really enjoy WTF with Marc Maron. He’s a sort of curmudgeonly comedian and former drug addict/alcoholic who interviews comedians and writers and generally asks great questions. Only complaint is the absurd amount of sponsors he has to announce. Still a great show though.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.